• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Meta Spinorama and Measurements

Ata

Forum Donor

Martinvb

My main requirements is that the amp has these certain features: subwoofer support, remote control, a pure non eq mode, and possibly bass managment, phono port or multiple rca inputs to add a phono preamp.

In my setup with the LS50 Meta’s I use a NAD 3020D (V1) in a medium sized living room. When used for streaming, performance of this simple amp improves with the use of an external DAC, but overall sound quality of this system is very clean an impressive. V2 of this amp has a phono pre-amp (V1does not). I have a Klipsch sub standby (3020 supports active sub’s), but actually never use it, as for most acoustical music I listen to the system provides sufficient energy in the lower frequency range. 3020D V2 are priced at €499 in the NL, but occasionally are sold for lower than that. Also used more powered class A amps, like a vintage Harman Kardon 920, but still prefer the modest 3020D for its clarity and detail. BW, Martin

Ata

Forum Donor
I expect my LS50 Metas to arrive before the end of the week and will try out the EQs described here, and apply Room EQ on top. Should be able to share some measurements next week if anyone is interested.

Also thinking of trying the MathAudio RoomEq plugin, which had some coverage in this forum, before I consider investing into a "proper" convolution filter generator.

RobS

Forum Donor
These look like great speakers, especially for the money, but I can't help but be concerned about the steep roll-off after 100hz. They would definitely need a subwoofer but that presents its own problems. I'd like to see the distortion profile when cranked to high volumes.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The bass roll-off depends a lot on the room and placement, for example my desktop LS50 system gets linearly down to less than 40 Hz without sub or any EQ, but my classic sofa LS50 Meta system needs a sub to get as low. Bass distortion is comparable to most good similar sized compact loudspeakers so nothing for very large listening volumes, distances and/or room sizes unless crossed at higher frequency to subs.

Descartes

Major Contributor
View attachment 116967

So after I demoed the 8341s against the Kef Reference 1 and preferred the latter, I did note that the Reference 1 sounded more diffuse and spacious than the 8341s and wondered if it was because the 8341s were more of a point source design. So a buddy brought over his KEF LS50 Metas which I had not heard at length before. We A/B'd them side by side for about a good 4-5 hours, and tried our best to level match them. Since they were hooked up to separate outputs we were able to rapidly switch between them during songs with only a slight half-second or so delay.

The LS50 Meta had similar qualities that the Reference 1 had when pitted against the 8341s as well. It sounded more diffuse and spacious compared to the 8341s which sounded much more centered between the speakers, even though the LS50 is an actual point source design, and the 8341s have multiple woofers venting output above and below the coaxial driver through slot ports with a 500hz crossover.

So I think the tighter tolerances and flatter FR above 1K is probably contributing to the much more anchored center image with the 8341s, but similarly as with the Reference 1s, the general 2-3db of extra sound power from the 8341s from 300-700hz made them sound forward, drums and piano had an extra amplitude and vocals were much more forward that made it a bit more fatiguing to listen to, in addition to the more compressed soundstage depth caused by the hotter lower mids. Vocals are slightly clearer on the 8341s, but also more fatiguing with female vocals--it's hard to tell if its because the vocals are more accurate, or they are just clearer because of the slightly boosted lower mid range in the power response of the 8341s, because female vocals sounded somewhat deeper than I used to as well.

Overall we both agreed the LS50 Meta was much more spacious and laid back, sounded pretty similar to a bass limited R3 or Reference 1, and in general more enjoyable to listen to. These are really giant killer speakers and I might get a pair for a secondary desk setup or something.
Thank you for the comparison!

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So why is Amir is saying the meta are much better than the LS50 original?
Because the bump is audible, I cannot enjoy for a long time and many songs my original LS50 without equalising it but my Meta doesn't need such.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Because the bump is audible, I cannot enjoy for a long time and many songs my original LS50 without equalising it but my Meta doesn't need such.
Not everyone is bothered by the bump.

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is the LS50 meta capable of reaching reference level at 3m with a sub?

Thanks.

Ata

Forum Donor
Barely and with noticeable rise in distortion, if my measurements are anything to go by: https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...ef-ls50-meta-review-speaker.25574/post-954831

This does not bother me, as I very rarely would listen at reference levels, but everyone is different. I suppose if reference levels are important to you, and you want to have the single point sound source, you'd need to go with KEF R3 + sub(s).

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is the LS50 meta capable of reaching reference level at 3m with a sub?

Thanks.

You can see at the 96db level in the distortion plots that THD is getting pretty high so I wouldn't use these for reference level. Do you actually listen at reference level is the question? Most people don't and for those people the LS50 are fine, with at least a 100Hz high pass.

Top Bottom