• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

Darwin

Yes, what was Zuck thinking, the name is the least of that company's problems...
Pretty standard marketing technique to change the name of a failed brand. The name Facebook is toxic to many including me. That’s what unbridled greed gets you.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Preference Rating
SCORE: 5.7
SCORE w/ sub: 7.7

Sensitivity: 83.8dB (300Hz-3kHz: spec: 85dB @ 1kHz)
Frequency response: +/- 3.5dB 78Hz-20kHz

The database has the LS50 meta named as the earlier model the LS50 (which hasn't been tested). I kept searching for the meta and realized the misnamed entry is actually the newer model.

Eetu

Forum Donor
The database has the LS50 meta named as the earlier model the LS50 (which hasn't been tested). I kept searching for the meta and realized the misnamed entry is actually the newer model.
The OG LS50 has been tested, you can find the review here.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are talking about Pierre Aubert's database, he has both speakers listed and correctly labelled. The original LS 50's have a preference score of 4.6.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor

Bohdan

Could not locate LS50 Meta is the review search. FYI.
Apology, if it was addressed already.
Summoning @amirm "the boss"
1638146480088.png

Last edited:

BoredErica

Could not locate LS50 Meta is the review search. FYI.
Apology, if it was addressed already.
Summoning @amirm "the boss"
The list hasn't been updated since end of July. This review launched in early August.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
The list hasn't been updated since end of July. This review launched in early August.

I thought the scores for LS50 were actually the meta...?

BoredErica

I thought the scores for LS50 were actually the meta...?
How can that be the case? The preference score for LS50 meta is 5.7/7.7. You can see 4.6/6.7 is old LS50 review if you go to the review and check.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
How can that be the case? The preference score for LS50 meta is 5.7/7.7. You can see 4.6/6.7 is old LS50 review if you go to the review and check.
I'm shaking my head because, unless I was dreaming, I saw the 5.7/7.7 rating with the LS50 (without meta). Either it was changed or I was looking in a different database.

BoredErica

I'm shaking my head because, unless I was dreaming, I saw the 5.7/7.7 rating with the LS50 (without meta). Either it was changed or I was looking in a different database.
I think you just got confused for a bit. LS50 never got that high a score. I remember because I'm in the process of trying to get LS50 Meta, and I've been reviewing all the KEF speaker reviews on ASR (and I have been for 2 months now).

In fact in the Meta video review, Amir talked about how he never liked the original LS50 subjectively or objectively.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
I think you just got confused for a bit. LS50 never got that high a score. I remember because I'm in the process of trying to get LS50 Meta, and I've been reviewing all the KEF speaker reviews on ASR (and I have been for 2 months now).

In fact in the Meta video review, Amir talked about how he never liked the original LS50 subjectively or objectively.
I bought the metas a while back and have been following the reviews as well. Also got the KEF 62 sub.

Was wondering if the Topping PA5 would be a good fit for these speakers.

BoredErica

I bought the metas a while back and have been following the reviews as well. Also got the KEF 62 sub.

Well, you can take the power rating of 48w and input it into a calculator like this http://www.hometheaterengineering.com/splcalculator.html to figure it out. In terms of price and ensuring there's no amp hiss, I think the PA5 is the best option. At 1M away without being near walls the amp should be able to get the Metas to 105db which I think is fine. I dunno how close you listen. I listen at 0.5M so power is really not a concern, and the very low noise at idle is really nice when it comes to PA5, and not paying for more power I don't need.

Not an audio expert though, so take from that what you will.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Well, you can take the power rating of 48w and input it into a calculator like this http://www.hometheaterengineering.com/splcalculator.html to figure it out. In terms of price and ensuring there's no amp hiss, I think the PA5 is the best option. At 1M away without being near walls the amp should be able to get the Metas to 105db which I think is fine. I dunno how close you listen. I listen at 0.5M so power is really not a concern, and the very low noise at idle is really nice when it comes to PA5, and not paying for more power I don't need.

Not an audio expert though, so take from that what you will.

I had ordered the PA5 yesterday and cancelled today. Got nervous. I'm at 2.2 meters from the speakers. I had run through similar calls with the JBL on-line calculator.

Currently have a 65 pound 200W/ch AB amp and would love to replace it with the book sized PA5 so no problem with volume even if I'm at the neighbors.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Can you post some details about your listening environment? Distance from the speakers, size of room, placed in a corner or against a wall etc.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had ordered the PA5 yesterday and cancelled today. Got nervous. I'm at 2.2 meters from the speakers. I had run through similar calls with the JBL on-line calculator.

Currently have a 65 pound 200W/ch AB amp and would love to replace it with the book sized PA5 so no problem with volume even if I'm at the neighbors.
Do you listen to it loud or with the bass turned up/PEQ boosted?

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Can you post some details about your listening environment? Distance from the speakers, size of room, placed in a corner or against a wall etc.
10x10 ft room (speakers on wall, listening chair other wall.

Currently the sub is behind the listening chair against the wall. If I get rid of my big amp and component rack, I'd put the sub next to the LS50s against the wall where I can see the standby LED. I have Roon/Gustard X16 as the source. Would love to go from the 4V Gustard XLR - directly to the amp with high level sub wiring.

Last edited:

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Do you listen to it loud or with the bass turned up/PEQ boosted?

no...not loud

Mostly classical music ...but need dynamic range

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
10x10 ft room (speakers on wall, listening chair other wall.

Currently the sub is behind the listening chair against the wall. If I get rid of my big amp and component rack, I'd put the sub next to the LS50s against the wall where I can see the standby LED.
Discussing it in real world terms and not delving deep into dB stuff and such. I have extensive experience with 40w/ch amplification with 86 dB SPL/W/M efficiency 2 way speakers in ~such a carpeted room with soft absorbing furniture and there was plenty of power although I could clip the max output if boosting the bass up significantly and cranking it up very loud with rock'n roll. I was using a Technics SU-V303 integrated amp that did not have much headroom. I think the PA5 has more power if including the higher THD ratings. I was not using a subwoofer. If you are used to having lotsa power and do turn up the volume from time to time then you may miss that 200w/ch. Keeping in mind that a 200w/ch amp will make the KEF's woofers hit the stops pretty easily. If you listen at lower volume levels then the PA5 will most likely be fine and have enough headroom for peaks.

BoredErica

Anyone who owns these speakers able to measure the dimensions of the bottom of the speaker? I'm trying to figure out how large the top of a speaker stand needs to be for the speaker to be stable. The dimensions from KEF page include the inserts at the back, and the speaker is curved in the front so it's off. (It's a similar situation with my old Rokits. The overall dimensions are much larger than the size of the bottom of the speaker that actually touches the table.)

edit:
hecc, I'll ask Kef. Might not get an answer though because they couldn't give me minimum recommended listening distance for their speakers either. If anyone has one and is willing to measure I'd get my answer for sure, and faster. :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom