• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

stren

Forum Donor
i don't have the ls50's *but* i can't imagine leaving them run full range and adding a sub with the intention of high output listening... the entire idea of monitors is clarity , you lose that, full range at high volume with these...
So my current setup is sort of like this - I run my sub using the speaker level inputs and don't run a XO on the LS50s. The sub has an LP XO, so I simply turn up the gain of the subs so that almost everything should go through the sub and then fix everything with REW. This means that in effect I get 20-80Hz handled by my sub. The sub has a built in rumble filter I believe, so if something hits that is below that, you'll see it come through on the LS50's in terms of woofer movement.

It's far from ideal, in fact I would call it a bad plan and I don't recommend it. But it's sort of what I duct taped together given my amp didn't have sub outs. I plan to make things work properly at some point by adding a minidsp or maybe switching to AVR at some point.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

I want to build an homecinema with the ls50 or the metas.

I have an denon x4700h and will use audyssey xt32 to calibrate them.

Will the meta still be an improve over the old ones?

Thanks a lot:)
In a 12 X 12 space, I have a 5.2 with the Metas as L-R, Kef HTC 3001 SE as center, OG LS 50s as SL-SR, and two SVS SB 2000's for subs. I have Dirac Live and get everything over streaming services and files I ripped from my old Blue Ray, DVD, and CD collections. And yes, IMHO the Metas are a big improvement over the already very good originals, but if you own the originals, I wouldn't throw them out. Just do what I did, and use them for the surrounds.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So my current setup is sort of like this - I run my sub using the speaker level inputs and don't run a XO on the LS50s. The sub has an LP XO, so I simply turn up the gain of the subs so that almost everything should go through the sub and then fix everything with REW. This means that in effect I get 20-80Hz handled by my sub. The sub has a built in rumble filter I believe, so if something hits that is below that, you'll see it come through on the LS50's in terms of woofer movement.

It's far from ideal, in fact I would call it a bad plan and I don't recommend it. But it's sort of what I duct taped together given my amp didn't have sub outs. I plan to make things work properly at some point by adding a minidsp or maybe switching to AVR at some point.
Sounds like you made the best of a mediocre situation...the dsp solution is the obvious next step...a good avr would work as well , but of course will be costlier...

Leon7791

In a 12 X 12 space, I have a 5.2 with the Metas as L-R, Kef HTC 3001 SE as center, OG LS 50s as SL-SR, and two SVS SB 2000's for subs. I have Dirac Live and get everything over streaming services and files I ripped from my old Blue Ray, DVD, and CD collections. And yes, IMHO the Metas are a big improvement over the already very good originals, but if you own the originals, I wouldn't throw them out. Just do what I did, and use them for the surrounds.
I already bought both the meta and the original and compare them side by side.

I heard no big different in sound, so i have choose the ls50 for my cinema

tw 2022

I already bought both the meta and the original and compare them side by side.

I heard no big different in sound, so i have choose the ls50 for my cinema
they certainly have many similarities ... with decent eq they are probably close to identical...

ehabheikal

I wouldn't cross them over under 100Hz if you're using a 2nd order high pass like most people, it depends on your listening levels though. If you listen into the 90db range at your listening position you might even bump that up to 120Hz or so. If you're using a 4th order high pass then I've found 80-100hz to be good. This is all based on minimizing their distortion by the way, your in-room measurements are the other variable that sometimes dictates where you want to cross your mains and your subs.
I am setting these at 120hz to yamaha hs8s subwoofer, lucky for me i do not hear the directivity of the sub, would like to get two subs that can go up to 200

TK33

I'm considering these for a near-field desk setup. Would the NAD D3045 (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../nad-d3045-review-integrated-amplifier.33172/) be enough to drive these? I know they're not too sensitive and stay at 3.7 ohms for a large part of the frequency. I will be crossing over at 80Hz to a Rythmik L12
That is what I use to drive my LS50 Metas that are in a nearfield desktop setup. Keeps things nice and neat on my desk. I have not had any issues with the NAD D3045 + LS50 Meta. I found the headphone section of the NAD D 3045 to be a bit lacking and noisy though so I use a RME ADI-2 DAC on my desk as well. My sources are a Node 2i (coax) and PC (USB) I use a REL T-Zero crossed over at 80 hz. Would be nice if I could use something bigger but space is a premium right now.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I'm considering these for a near-field desk setup. Would the NAD D3045 (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../nad-d3045-review-integrated-amplifier.33172/) be enough to drive these? I know they're not too sensitive and stay at 3.7 ohms for a large part of the frequency. I will be crossing over at 80Hz to a Rythmik L12
I heard this combo as a small room set up. I was positively surprised at how nice it sounds. My guess is, as a desktop set up, it should perform very good.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do have LS50 (and a Velodyne sub) set up with the D7050. I couldn't hear a difference with a Benchmark DAC2HGC and a NAD M22 - if anything the avility to cross over the sub at 70-80Hz makes the combo sound more relaxed when things get spirited. I will probably get the LS60, but I am waiting to see if they come out in red - KEF does the color thing occasionally.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I do have LS50 (and a Velodyne sub) set up with the D7050. I couldn't hear a difference with a Benchmark DAC2HGC and a NAD M22 - if anything the avility to cross over the sub at 70-80Hz makes the combo sound more relaxed when things get spirited. I will probably get the LS60, but I am waiting to see if they come out in red - KEF does the color thing occasionally.
I have seen the active versions in red. Elegant speakers to say the least.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Play this through your LS50 (metas or otherwise), during a short intro you'll see the membrane struggling to play a fq too low. Swinging like crazy with almost no sound.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Play this through your LS50 (metas or otherwise), during a short intro you'll see the membrane struggling to play a fq too low. Swinging like crazy with almost no sound.
Play this ?….

goldark

Forum Donor
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just ordered a pair of LS50 Meta to pair with my NAD D3045. I have a Rythmik L12 under my desk for bass duties. The NAD will let me set a crossover for the subwoofer at 80 or 120Hz. Which is the better option? Would 120Hz be too localizable?

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just ordered a pair of LS50 Meta to pair with my NAD D3045. I have a Rythmik L12 under my desk for bass duties. The NAD will let me set a crossover for the subwoofer at 80 or 120Hz. Which is the better option? Would 120Hz be too localizable?
I vote for 80hz….

TK33

I use 80hz (LS50 Meta + NAD D 3045) and have been happy with it. Obviously different rooms and I have a much smaller sub (REL T-Zero) but I preferred 80hz for a nearfield desktop setup. Congrats on your purchase. Enjoy!

Top Bottom