• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

KMO

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Best to use one, as I do (on its side). You can probably sell the spare successfully to someone else wanting to do the same.

Or just keep it as a spare - that's what I did. With 7 in use, an 8th for disaster back-up didn't seem too extravagant.

CBdicX

Best to use one, as I do (on its side). You can probably sell the spare successfully to someone else wanting to do the same.

Or just keep it as a spare - that's what I did. With 7 in use, an 8th for disaster back-up didn't seem too extravagant.
Thank you for the reply :)
But would it be "bad" to use 2 side by side ?

KMO

Thank you for the reply :)
But would it be "bad" to use 2 side by side ?
"Bad" is hard to say. But worse than using one, yes. And two side-by-side would be worse than two one-above-the-other.

You're just opening the door to all sorts of interference and directivity problems, unnecessarily.

People frequently recommend KEF Uni-Q based centres precisely because the coaxial design allows a single central midrange which then has lovely even horizontal dispersion. The all-too common MTM centres with two midranges side-by-side really struggle to project an even image throughout a wide seating area.

You could potentially end up turning this:

index.php

into this:

index.php

(but probably even worse cos you also have two tweeters - that's just showing the problem with two midranges).

Daka

I already have the Buchardt A500. I am sending it back, it lacks something as well.
I think you’re looking for floorstander really if one of the best standmounts (R3) lacked something. Or simply integrate speaker with sub as many do - if you’re not willing to pay big bucks for full range speaker. Should try R7 or ls50 wireless II and kc62/kf92 combo.

cavedriver

Hello, I am new to this forum (but an "old" AVS member ;)) and want to ask if it is possible to use 2x LS50M side by side as a Center speaker ?
The problem in the BENELUX is that Kef will not sell 1 LS50M as a Center like in the US :-(
So my only option wil be to use 2.
I have the space to use 2 side by side and would like the way it looks when I have them both on the side also, with the nice curve :)

Or is it better to wait until Kef gets a R2C Meta, a "real" Center ?

Thanks.
You could buy one from an American retailer (or person) and have it shipped to you. I've looked into doing the reverse from the UK and it's fairly viable although KEF America probably won't ship it to a European address for you. Or have someone fly over with one since they fit in a carry-on.

KMO

Or just ask dealers? I just noticed you said "Kef will not sell" - certainly their direct web store doesn't, but dealers might be prepared to split. You won't be the only person considering a LS50 Meta centre. Mine would have sold one of the more boring (popular?) colours, but not in the Royal Blue I wanted. It's worth trying.

CBdicX

Thanks for all the advice :)

Problem in Europe is that Kef and the dealers will not sell a single unit, I would like to get a White one.
I personal do not understand Kef, it could generate sales as I will not be the only LS50M user that want to use them in a multi channel setup.
For now I will be on hold for a Center (I use a white Q6C now) and who knows, maybe Keff will see "the light" ;)

MCH

Major Contributor
.have you tried this one? It lets you initiate the checkout with only one unit. Have not tried to make it to the end though

CBdicX

.have you tried this one? It lets you initiate the checkout with only one unit. Have not tried to make it to the end though

Yes, tried this on a few dealers that say the units are sold per unit, but in the end you need 2 to complete the buying process....... :-(
But to be sure I asked them if they will sell one unit, thanks for the link.

EDIT:
YES
, they are willing to sell one unit, the first dealer and I tried 4-5 dealers, thank you !!
And I can get a White one :D

Also Kef US wants $900 (855,00 Euro) for one unit, this German dealer wants 588,00 Euro...........o_O

EDIT 2:
ordered one unit in white, hope all will be ok.............

Last edited:

CBdicX

"Bad" is hard to say. But worse than using one, yes. And two side-by-side would be worse than two one-above-the-other.

You're just opening the door to all sorts of interference and directivity problems, unnecessarily.

People frequently recommend KEF Uni-Q based centres precisely because the coaxial design allows a single central midrange which then has lovely even horizontal dispersion. The all-too common MTM centres with two midranges side-by-side really struggle to project an even image throughout a wide seating area.

You could potentially end up turning this:

index.php

into this:

index.php

(but probably even worse cos you also have two tweeters - that's just showing the problem with two midranges).

Asked Kef about using 2 LS50 as Center, not to question your answer but to be sure.
Few month ago I had a Gallo Adiva SE setup, and asked the same question, thay say it is ok to use 2 Adiva side by side as a Center speaker.
But this is a "different" speakers with one broadband driver........

Problem solved as I could buy one unit in Germany :) :)

Here the answer from KEF:

Thank you for getting in touch.

We haven't had any customers try this kind of setup so far, so we can't confirm if this could be a suitable setup, or if it could cause issues with the sound.

Normally, however, it is not recommended to use two speakers as one center channel and, where possible in terms of available space, budget, etc., you can use the R2C Center channel speaker (https://nl.kef.com/products/r2c) for example. recommend as a suitable addition to an existing set.

jkonst

At least in the US, KEF sells single LS50s as the “LS50c” on their website. Clearly a supported use case!

Reactions: pjn

CBdicX

Will the LS50C Meta be any different from Kef just selling a single unit ?
I mean, will the C version have plugs to cover the mounting holes when you want to use it on its side, or the C version will not have mounting holes ?

Thanks.....

jkonst

Will the LS50C Meta be any different from Kef just selling a single unit ?
I mean, will the C version have plugs to cover the mounting holes when you want to use it on its side, or the C version will not have mounting holes ?

Thanks.....
It's just a single LS50 Meta rather than a pair - no differences otherwise!

CBdicX

Can someone tell when this unit is produced with this serial numebr:

LS50214604N05N2G

Ciobi69

Yes, tried this on a few dealers that say the units are sold per unit, but in the end you need 2 to complete the buying process....... :-(
But to be sure I asked them if they will sell one unit, thanks for the link.

EDIT:
YES
, they are willing to sell one unit, the first dealer and I tried 4-5 dealers, thank you !!
And I can get a White one :D

Also Kef US wants $900 (855,00 Euro) for one unit, this German dealer wants 588,00 Euro...........o_O

EDIT 2:
ordered one unit in white, hope all will be ok.............
I did buy from them very serious site

CBdicX

Received the one unit from Germany and all is ok.
They cut the box in half and even put the rubber feet on the unit as the 8 feet are on one rubber pad.
I do find the price different very high compared to what Kef US is asking for doing the same steps.

I use the unit on its side so now I can see the mounting holes on one side, have a piece of matt white vinyl on it so the holes are invisible.

Very happy, and so happy that I swapped my Surround speaker, SVS Prime Sat, also for a set LS50M :D

Last edited:

cavedriver

Wanting to see the effect of the dips in 1 to 3 kHz, I developed a single filter at 1189 Hz. Getting it to fill that gap requires a Q of something like 7. At that level, turning it on and off showed basically non-existent difference as predicted by psychoacoustics. We just don't have that kind of discrimination in frequency in that range. I suppose if you wanted to be anal about it, you could fill the holes. It wouldn't make things worse and maybe the combination would make more of a difference. For me, it wasn't worth the time. :) I was happy with the speaker as is.
Having had the chance to A/B these against other speakers including for example the Wharfedale EVO 4.2's, it is possible to notice these dips. I agree that they weren't all that bothersome up until the point where I did A/B them, but then once I did I couldn't escape it. I'm pretty sure I would have correctly identified it in blind A/B testing after that. If I only owned these speakers would my awareness of the dip fade over time without a reference to remind me? Probably some, but not necessarily entirely. Whenever I try there are some flaws I know are in my in-home reference speakers, but surely there are others I have forgotten and need to hear better speakers again to remind me of them. The mind is a fickle thing...

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Having had the chance to A/B these against other speakers including for example the Wharfedale EVO 4.2's, it is possible to notice these dips. I agree that they weren't all that bothersome up until the point where I did A/B them, but then once I did I couldn't escape it. I'm pretty sure I would have correctly identified it in blind A/B testing after that. If I only owned these speakers would my awareness of the dip fade over time without a reference to remind me? Probably some, but not necessarily entirely. Whenever I try there are some flaws I know are in my in-home reference speakers, but surely there are others I have forgotten and need to hear better speakers again to remind me of them. The mind is a fickle thing...
The Evo has an elevated treble response so make sure you are comparing to something neutral.

Top Bottom