• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also look at the larger off-axis angles:

index.php

The slight dip around 2 kHz makes sense as otherwise the sound power would be too high there due to the slight widening of the directivity.

At the listening position it almost completely disappears thus, for example at J. Atkinsons room:
1220KEF50fig07.jpg

Fig.7 KEF LS50 Meta, spatially averaged, 1/6-octave response in JA's listening room (red), and of original LS50 (blue), source https://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-ls50-meta-loudspeaker-measurements

and in mine, without any EQ:

1643305054912.png

You rather see a small 1dB accentuation of the region between 4-6 KHz which can be seen also in the upper plot.

Ataraxia

Want about the difference on detail and clarity? Is LS50 Meta have much better than clarity and detail than R3 due to meta additional?

Excellent clarity, transparency of equipment can be used to describe either R3 or Meta. With my Metas on desk I believe I hear more of the recording which seems to be slightly better clarity but it might have something to do with the fact that room interaction is better removed with Metas nearfield. I haven't heard audiophile headphones but suspect the closer you get Metas to your ears, the more they might seem like headphones since you get a lot of direct frequency response before the room interaction.

It seems Metas might have better chance at mid-upper frequency response because the crossover and drivers focus more in that range. But go far enough away from the Metas and you might feel they aren't as full as R3's.

The R3's have excellent clarity too but have larger scale midfield/farfield where the dedicated woofer and room interaction might hide some of what I hear from the Metas on desk.

The more I write my impressions the more I have to say they definitely have the same sonic signature but R3's add what the Metas have with a larger sense of scale, like a larger floor standing speaker. Some of what Metas do at closer distance could be attenuated with how R3's are engineered with the 3 way crossover and the change in frequency response interacts with the room before getting to your ears.

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I find it weird when people put the clarity of the R3 on par with the Meta, the R3 is definitely a darker sounding speaker without the ability to produce details in the mids as well as the Metas. Yeah, the R3s scale better being a bigger speaker with an additional driver, but its not as revealing as the Meta. I can play the R3 louder and sit 4 meters away and it still wont match the Metas in how resolving it is. They sound like different speakers, bass aside, because they are.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I find it weird when people put the clarity of the R3 on par with the Meta, the R3 is definitely a darker sounding speaker without the ability to produce details in the mids as well as the Metas. Yeah, the R3s scale better being a bigger speaker with an additional driver, but its not as revealing as the Meta. I can play the R3 louder and sit 4 meters away and it still wont match the Metas in how resolving it is. They sound like different speakers, bass aside, because they are.
Let me guess, you listened the R3 in a store, right?

MarkWinston

Let me guess, you listened the R3 in a store, right?
No, I brought it back with me for a month. Guess again. I also brought the R11s back and they have the same sound signature, only on a way bigger scale. I know how you defend the R series here like its your life, but they are just not the same type of sound you get from the Meta, or even the the OG LS50s, which are roughly in the same generation, for that matter. Keep guessing.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
No, I brought it back with me for a month. Guess again. I also brought the R11s back and the have the same sound signature, only on a way bigger scale. I know how you defend the R series here like its your life, but they are just not the same type of sound you get from the Meta, or even the the OG LS50s for that matter. Keep guessing.

What a dirty liar. I'm not gonna waste my time.

''
u are not alone. I auditioned the R3s and the Metas in a LARGE treated room (it was something like 9 or 10 meters x 6 meters x 3 or 4...
Dec 13, 2021

Yeah you auditioned the R3. Never bought or have.

''So I finally decided to get the Polk R700 floorstanders, now Im finding for an affordable power amp with enough juice to drive them. Im...
Jan 18, 2022
''Im powering my Diamond 12.2 and R200 with the PA5 and D70S. One word : CRAZY GOOD. Ok thats 2 but you know what I mean. It doesnt run...
Today at 12:05 PM

edit: The r11 and R3 sound different and also measures different in their FR, '' same signature ''? objectively they doesn't sound the same, very liar.

Martyreasoner

''
u are not alone. I auditioned the R3s and the Metas in a LARGE treated room (it was something like 9 or 10 meters x 6 meters x 3 or 4...
Dec 13, 2021

''So I finally decided to get the Polk R700 floorstanders, now Im finding for an affordable power amp with enough juice to drive them. Im...
Jan 18, 2022
''Im powering my Diamond 12.2 and R200 with the PA5 and D70S. One word : CRAZY GOOD. Ok thats 2 but you know what I mean. It doesnt run...

edit: The r11 and R3 sound different and also measures different in their FR, '' same signature ''? objectively they doesn't sound the same, very liar.

Your internet sleuthing on @MarkWinston raises some questions. Nonetheless, calling someone a dirty liar might be a bridge too far.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Your internet sleuthing on @MarkWinston raises some questions. Nonetheless, calling someone a dirty liar might be a bridge too far.
Maybe the dirty was too far, but the liar no.
Since my internet sleuthing catch his liar, i'm just not gonna reply further about this.
I completed forgot that guy writing his stores experiences in ASR.

Ataraxia

We have to read each others impressions knowing we all have different hearing capabilities, electronics, rooms, listening environments. It's not easy for me to describe the differences because I'm also trying to crudely control for all the speaker placement and electronics differences I've had when comparing the R3's and Metas, deskfield and nearfield/midfield in different areas of my apartment.

My electronics in my sig, I've had both speakers on both sets of electronics. I feel there is a difference when using each set of electronics. Speaker placement and listening distance changes makes it even more difficult. Your differing impressions are valid and helpful, just as mine are.

Last edited:

Descartes

Major Contributor
The R3 or LS 50 Meta that is the question!

Once KEF releases the R3 with meta maybe in 2024, then we can compare them until then enjoy what you have!

MarkWinston

''
Dec 13, 2021

Jan 18, 2022

A liar? Really? How long since I said what you quoted? Admins really need to put a leash on guys like these. Ive got the R3 and R11 in on the 26th of December and I returned them on the 23rd of January. I have a budget of 4k for speakers and amps and I was eying the Meta and considering the R3. Since ai read all the subjective info on the R3 vs Meta here, I decided to talk to the dealers here in Thailand and they agreed to send me the R3 and R11 as long as I paid for postage. Little do you know that Im am very close to ALL the distributors here because Im from a neigbouring country and I can speak their native language here. I have also bought many products from them if that matters. I returned them VIA DHL to ensure that they get back safely and I even paid insurance for that delivery. Call me a dirty liar, or a liar, once again, if you dare, for thats all you can do on the internet. Keep defending that old @$$ R series, you are clearly biased to what you own and your are trying to justify every cent you paid for it.

MarkWinston

Sadly with speakers, you cant tell me that all capable or hifi worthy speakers sound the same when volume matched under controlled conditions. With such a stance, you could bull your way thru with amps and dacs, luckily in this case, they are speakers. Like I said, keep guessing.

BoredErica

Honestly with r3 vs metas, size, listening distance, and aesthetics were my primary deciding factors between the two.

Beyond that I'd rather look on spinorama github than get opinions of people on the internet. This argument is a waste of time to me.

Martyreasoner

Honestly with r3 vs metas, size, listening distance, and aesthetics were my primary deciding factors between the two.

Beyond that I'd rather look on spinorama github than get opinions of people on the internet. This argument is a waste of time to me.
No kidding, this thread is off the rails. @amirm FYI. They are Kef, quite possibly the most widely distributed brand. Rather than yell at internet strangers about their subjective views, people should just go listen. Subjective listening, combined with spins and distortion/max spl data people should just make up their own mind. This one of the more asinine internet arguments I have ever viewed.

TK33

Agreed. Use case definitely matters. I was looking for nearfield speakers and stopped by the local dealer last weekend. As soon as I saw the R3, I knew there was no way it would fit on my 60" desk along with my 35" ultra wide monitor, keyboard, mouse, laptop, Node 2i, amp, DAC, headphones, microphone, charger, coffee (lots of it) and, of course, my work, which is what the desk was originally intended for (you get the point). Got my Metas today and sitting here very happy right now.

On the flip side, no way I would put Metas in my living room with a toddler running around since they don't have a grille.

I hope one day to own both Metas and R series. I think they are great speakers and have their strengths. Also appreciate the info people give on this forum so that people can make informed purchase decisions. Hopefully we can get back to that.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed. Use case definitely matters. I was looking for nearfield speakers and stopped by the local dealer last weekend. As soon as I saw the R3, I knew there was no way it would fit on my 60" desk along with my 35" ultra wide monitor, keyboard, mouse, laptop, Node 2i, amp, DAC, headphones, microphone, charger, coffee (lots of it) and, of course, my work, which is what the desk was originally intended for (you get the point). Got my Metas today and sitting here very happy right now.

On the flip side, no way I would put Metas in my living room with a toddler running around since they don't have a grille.

I hope one day to own both Metas and R series. I think they are great speakers and have their strengths. Also appreciate the info people give on this forum so that people can make informed purchase decisions. Hopefully we can get back to that.
If you think about it, it's really all about the use case. For example, my listening room is 12x12. and I sit around 5 ft away from the speakers, so why would I opt for anything but the Metas? Another guy in a 20 x 30 ft living room with a 12 ft ceiling should absolutely go for the Ref 3, or even the Reference 1's.

Different horses for different courses!

Ataraxia

If you think about it, it's really all about the use case. For example, my listening room is 12x12. and I sit around 5 ft away from the speakers, so why would I opt for anything but the Metas? Another guy in a 20 x 30 ft living room with a 12 ft ceiling should absolutely go for the Ref 3, or even the Reference 1's.

Different horses for different courses!
I've said this as well and a few more here and there. Level heads must understand that not everyone hears or describes audio in the same way so subjective speaker impressions and especially X vs. X comparisons should be interpreted accordingly.

Descartes

Major Contributor
So in your opinion I am better of with the meta than the R3 if I cross them over at 100Hz so the bass is sent to the subs! I sit only 8 feet away from them!

MarkWinston

So in your opinion I am better of with the meta than the R3 if I cross them over at 100Hz so the bass is sent to the subs! I sit only 8 feet away from them!

Subjectively, definitely for me. High pass the Metas at 100, maybe even 120, let the subs do all the dirty work. Keep the subs as close to the speakers as possible. I will always recommend the Meta over the R3 unless you are in a really BIG room or sitting donkey miles away from the speaker. Note that many wished for KEF to make a R3 Meta, not because they want a stupid plastic piece behind the tweeter, rather they want the Meta tuning that sounds so good.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Subjectively, definitely for me. High pass the Metas at 100, maybe even 120, let the subs do all the dirty work. Keep the subs as close to the speakers as possible. I will always recommend the Meta over the R3 unless you are in a really BIG room or sitting donkey miles away from the speaker. Note that many wished for KEF to make a R3 Meta, not because they want a stupid plastic piece behind the tweeter, rather they want the Meta tuning that sounds so good.
Maybe in 2023?

Top Bottom