• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had my black gloss R3's pulled from the wall but it was immediately distracting with the TV screen and all the motion being reflected off both R3's.

So I had to push them back to where you see in the pictures in this thread above
Never thought of that...

My Metas are coming at end of this week.

Ataraxia

Never thought of that...

My Metas are coming at end of this week.

Yes if one chooses they are free to pull Metas far from the wall without mirror reflection from TV. Not the case with gloss black and maybe gloss white R3's.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Yes if one chooses they are free to pull Metas far from the wall without mirror reflection from TV. Not the case with gloss black and maybe gloss white R3's.
How about the walnut are they glossy?

Last edited:

Ataraxia

How about the walnut are the glossy?
I haven't seen them in person but they look flat/matte wood grain to me on internet pics so minimal reflection.

tusing

LS50 Meta response in my acoustically poor living room, about 10 feet away from me, pre-EQ. This was the exact same pair reviewed by Amir.

Measured with the calibrated mic provided by Audyssey. Center is another LS50 Meta. Sub is a KC62. The hollow circular foam inserts provided with the speakers are used in all three Metas' rear ports.

B61A97DF-8B8C-4C23-B207-3EE8603BBA18.png

Last edited:

muad

LS50 Meta response in my acoustically poor living room, about 10 feet away from me, pre-EQ. This was the exact same pair reviewed by Amir.

Measured with the calibrated mic provided by Audyssey. Center is another LS50 Meta. Sub is a KC62. The hollow circular foam inserts provided with the speakers are used in all three Metas' rear ports.

View attachment 178959

Do you have any MMM measurements? For single measurements, those look pretty

muad

I've never measured my subs standalone - but shouldn't it roll off lower?
Yah you're right... I was referring more to the metas measurements. I didn't really look at the sub.

Maiky76

Yes, the bass response matches nicely with the port open:

View attachment 145904

As for the shelving, In this case I think it's probably very slightly different axis or mic calibration. Warkyn, NRC and mine show similar shelving. Yours is actually only about a dB lower aboe 4khz, certainly no big deal. It's probably just a little less noticeable in your measurements due to the different scaling. Here are those four on-axis measurements overlayed:

View attachment 145901

If I take the average of all 5 measurement sources we get the Ultimate LS50 Meta Metameasurement :D:

View attachment 145903
Hi,

For @BoredErica

The average data shows that ASR data is not as smooth as the others therefore the EQ I originally designed might be too specific to the tested unit in the 800 - 2000Hz range.

I have scanned the average data and derived an "averaged" Spinorama from the ASR data. It is not strictly consistent but might yield better results on "average".
If you could report your findings compared to the original EQs that'd awesome.

Here is the average spin and EQ:
The scores in the titles are only relative and should not be compared to the other original ones...
Remember to play with toe-in to get the best tonal balance in the 4-5000Hz.
EQ design:
KEF LS50 Meta APO EQ Averaged EQ Design.png

No EQ:
KEF LS50 Meta APO EQ Averaged No EQ Spinorama.png

LW average:
KEF LS50 Meta APO EQ Averaged LW Spinorama.png

Score average:
KEF LS50 Meta APO EQ Averaged Score Spinorama.png

Zoom and regression
KEF LS50 Meta APO EQ Averaged Regression - Zoom.png

Attachments

• KEF LS50 Meta APO EQ Averaged LW 96000Hz.txt
    350 bytes · Views: 77
  • KEF LS50 Meta APO EQ Averaged Score 96000Hz.txt
    307 bytes · Views: 83
Last edited:

chris719

Hmm, would these work well enough as a center? Small and coaxial make it attractive. I have two older Dynaudio floorstanders. The R2C is a huge jump in price and not crazy about most of the 2-way center options out there. Actually, they seem to have a center version... wonder what the difference is.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm, would these work well enough as a center? Small and coaxial make it attractive. I have two older Dynaudio floorstanders. The R2C is a huge jump in price and not crazy about most of the 2-way center options out there. Actually, they seem to have a center version... wonder what the difference is.
I have Metas and I eventually plan to add a third one as a center. I think they make ideal centers, at least in a smaller room if you listen at moderate volumes.

magic44ken

I'm not sure yet but I'll mention some things I've learned.

From reading others' experiences and now quite a bit of time listening to both I feel it depends which ones you're psycho-acoustically used to.

If you have Metas and try to switch to R3's you might miss the better point source presentation and ability to disappear.

If you have R3's and switch to Metas you might miss the scale they present above the Metas. R3's present practically like floor standers with a more room filling sound. They can work better for you in a larger room at greater distance.

It also seems to me that first listening distance, then room size, are the differentiators, not the speakers.

I've been considering downsizing and keeping one set but since they each have their own characteristics I still can't decide. If I knew I'd be in a small apartment or room indefinitely I'd keep the Metas. Due to the point source presentation it seems they are easier to place for optimal imaging and disappearance. If I was in a large room I can still use the Metas but I would still want to be less than 7' triangle sweet spot.

I feel since the Metas can be used in any size room, even deskfield, and if placed properly will almost completely disappear leaving excellent imaging and soundstage, I'd lean Metas for versatility. On the other hand, R3's placed well in a medium room 7-9' triangle could go solo no sub, where you might, but don't need, to have a sub with the Metas.

Shower thought: *Metas can be placed between listening position and TV screen without distracting reflection, Black/white gloss R3's cannot. That limits my positioning of the R3's in my tiny living room.

I'm glad I could make your decision for you. :) /S

Want about the difference on detail and clarity? Is LS50 Meta have much better than clarity and detail than R3 due to meta additional?

q2klepto

I'm on the fence on upgrading to a Genelec 8361a's for my center (at least) - measurements are pretty close but i like the headroom on the 8361a

Usage is Home Theater (40%) and TV/Gaming/Music being 20% each

Room is 20'x13'5"x8'5" fully treated and sound proofed with 4xMonolith 15" subs handling < 100hz. Listening levels might not be as high as reference, maybe -10db which i think is about 65db with 85db peaks

Id like a coherent sound on the main and 2ndary listening positions and the 3D bubbles for the meta/8361a look pretty close

Would the 8361a be a slight upgrade in this scenario? I could potentially use the genelecs all the way down to 50hz before crossing over or even 30hz

Just not sure it would be much of an upgrade in this space...

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I'm on the fence on upgrading to a Genelec 8361a's for my center (at least) - measurements are pretty close but i like the headroom on the 8361a

Usage is Home Theater (40%) and TV/Gaming/Music being 20% each

Room is 20'x13'5"x8'5" fully treated and sound proofed with 4xMonolith 15" subs handling < 100hz. Listening levels might not be as high as reference, maybe -10db which i think is about 65db with 85db peaks

Id like a coherent sound on the main and 2ndary listening positions and the 3D bubbles for the meta/8361a look pretty close

Would the 8361a be a slight upgrade in this scenario? I could potentially use the genelecs all the way down to 50hz before crossing over or even 30hz

Just not sure it would be much of an upgrade in this space...
Just get the 8361A, you know you want to;)

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Why does this speaker has a 2KHz crossover dip? It doesn't make sense.
There is a lot of people who doesn't want a flat FR.. +-1dB 20hzk-20khz..
Personally a dip between 1khz to 3khz it's a good thing. ( max 2dB of '' dip '', 3dB too much )

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a lot of people who doesn't want a flat FR.. +-1dB 20hzk-20khz..
Personally a dip between 1khz to 3khz it's a good thing. ( max 2dB of '' dip '', 3dB too much )
So they basically crippled their product so it sounds like every traditional 2-way out there?

A 3 KHz dip might be argued for, but not 2KHz.

muad

So they basically crippled their product so it sounds like every traditional 2-way out there?

A 3 KHz dip might be argued for, but not 2KHz.

Look at the off axis response and compare that to a traditional 2 way.... There's isn't a directivity mismatch. So no, it does not sound like a traditional 2 way. IMO it sounds beautiful.

Top Bottom