• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

lofiguy

If you have to buy a stand why not buy the KEF? It has the proper holes to bolt the stand to the speaker. This drawing is from the S2 stand manual. I'm using Dynaudio stands which are 6"x8" and have just about perfect coverage of the speaker bottom face. The S2 manual also has great drawings to give you an idea of the overhangs.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 12.02.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 12.02.02 AM.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you have to buy a stand why not buy the KEF? It has the proper holes to bolt the stand to the speaker. This drawing is from the S2 stand manual. I'm using Dynaudio stands which are 6"x8" and have just about perfect coverage of the speaker bottom face. The S2 manual also has great drawings to give you an idea of the overhangs.
Because I am listening at my computer. I can't use floorstands right now, and I definitely can't boost 20+ inches of height on my desk.
Thanks for the info. Kanto SP9 has 4.3x7in top plate, so that's 0.85in short on each side for width. Should be fine I think?

lofiguy

Yep those look great, and not an insane price like the S2. The speaker itself doesn't have a CoG (Center of Gravity) centered through the dimensional Z axis center. I believe it's more towards the rear. I have mine at the office just now so I can't verify. So you'd want to have all of the overhang over the front of the stands.

Ataraxia

Because I am listening at my computer. I can't use floorstands right now, and I definitely can't boost 20+ inches of height on my desk.
Thanks for the info. Kanto SP9 has 4.3x7in top plate, so that's 0.85in short on each side for width. Should be fine I think?
I have those exact Kanto stands and also Isoacoustics. The Kantos are high quality and strong but I prefer the Isoacoustics for stability supporting LS50 Meta, especially being in Cali where the ground can shake and I feel will protect the speaks better. The Iso's do not resonate and the posts are like Gecco feet stick the speaks and desk.

The bottom plate of the Kantos is not real wide, get bumped, could topple. See pics:

Kantos 9":

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Y6o3P45Jj_WkdkCqobfCKLj6IycTXAi/view?usp=sharing

Isoacoustics:

Last edited:

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
For what it's worth, I use the Isoacoustics Aperta stand for my LS50 Metas and they fit perfectly for my tastes. My speakers are on a TV board right now, which is backed against a concrete wall and boxed in on either side by taller bookshelves, so the system sounds a bit like it is playing out of a box (because it is). Putting the speakers up on these stands helped a great deal, but it is mostly because they are in a non-ideal room placement to begin that any little change makes a difference.

I'll be moving soon to a place with a larger room and the speakers will still be on a TV board but open on back, sides, and front, so I expect the system will sound over all quite a bit better. But I also have to be concerned about earthquakes so thinking of ways to anchor the LS50 metas to the stands and also anchor the stands to the board (which will itself be on a very solid piece of furniture). I though about buying of building separate stands, but not this time...

BoredErica

I have those exact Kanto stands and also Isoacoustics. The Kantos are high quality and strong but I prefer the Isoacoustics for stability supporting LS50 Meta, especially being in Cali where the ground can shake and I feel will protect the speaks better. The Iso's do not resonate and the posts are like Gecco feet stick the speaks and desk.

The bottom plate of the Kantos is not real wide, get bumped, could topple. See pics:

Kantos 9":

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Y6o3P45Jj_WkdkCqobfCKLj6IycTXAi/view?usp=sharing

Isoacoustics:

Good point on the earthquake risk. I wonder if just the Kanto 6.9in stand with tilt is enough. Looking at the vertical dispersion graph it looks fine. More risk of desk reflections I guess but it is tilting up so I dunno.

Ataraxia

Good point on the earthquake risk. I wonder if just the Kanto 6.9in stand with tilt is enough. Looking at the vertical dispersion graph it looks fine. More risk of desk reflections I guess but it is tilting up so I dunno.

I have always liked my speakers at or a little above ear level. My R3's are on 28" Monolith stands and the tweet/mid is a few inches or more above my seated ear level. Any lower and the center vocals seem like a singing head sticking out of the carpet.

On the desk, as you see I prioritize getting them high. 6" and or tilted is way better than plopping them on the desk but personally I just have to get it right. Plus Metas are awesome and just beg for proper placement...

BoredErica

I have always liked my speakers at or a little above ear level. My R3's are on 28" Monolith stands and the tweet/mid is a few inches or more above my seated ear level. Any lower and the center vocals seem like a singing head sticking out of the carpet.

On the desk, as you see I prioritize getting them high. 6" and or tilted is way better than plopping them on the desk but personally I just have to get it right. Plus Metas are awesome and just beg for proper placement...
NTK linked me to a post by Jack Oclee Brown who is apparently the VP of Technology at KEF. Link here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...w-bookshelf-speaker.19216/page-12#post-632572

With a coincident driver, like Uni-Q, avoiding such problems is one of the major challenges. We normally recommend listening at least 10 degrees off axis, but there's also no major issue with going further than this because the MF and HF directivity are well matched and the direct response reaching the listener remains smooth. This means that the toe-in can be used to adjust the amount of direct sound versus room sound the listener hears (like a DI control) and it can help to tune the system to the acoustics of the listening room.

9in lift would be worst case 12 degrees off axis, 6.9in lift 17.5 degrees off. But both look okayish. Of course, I'd pick the 9 if stability isn't a concern. I too live in a place that has earthquakes from time to time. Below is the vertical dispersion, with the 3 lines for 6, 6.9, 9in lift for me:

1638630121598.png

Another tactic is to buy a deeper desk so the speakers are farther from me under use, decreasing the angle.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone who owns these speakers able to measure the dimensions of the bottom of the speaker? I'm trying to figure out how large the top of a speaker stand needs to be for the speaker to be stable. The dimensions from KEF page include the inserts at the back, and the speaker is curved in the front so it's off. (It's a similar situation with my old Rokits. The overall dimensions are much larger than the size of the bottom of the speaker that actually touches the table.)

edit:
hecc, I'll ask Kef. Might not get an answer though because they couldn't give me minimum recommended listening distance for their speakers either. If anyone has one and is willing to measure I'd get my answer for sure, and faster. :p
I support my Metas on Sanus stands which have an 8" x 8.5" top plate. Coverage is perfect on the bottom. Because of the way the speaker is constructed the front baffle bows out beyond the footprint of the bottom plate. This bowing in no way makes the speaker unstable. There's very little weight on that front baffle, and the danger of these speakers tipping over on these stands is near zero.

Ataraxia

NTK linked me to a post by Jack Oclee Brown who is apparently the VP of Technology at KEF. Link here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...w-bookshelf-speaker.19216/page-12#post-632572

9in lift would be worst case 12 degrees off axis, 6.9in lift 17.5 degrees off. But both look okayish. Of course, I'd pick the 9 if stability isn't a concern. I too live in a place that has earthquakes from time to time. Below is the vertical dispersion, with the 3 lines for 6, 6.9, 9in lift for me:

View attachment 170111

Another tactic is to buy a deeper desk so the speakers are farther from me under use, decreasing the angle.

That's good to know. Owners discuss now and then about whether to place KEF straight forward or toed in.

I've had the R3's in three different apartment/rooms with different dimensions from medium large to currently small.

I've also played a lot with toe in and depending on the room it can help. There is no single answer because of how each room is different. But it's great to know the engineers intend for people to experiment.

Large room, excellent soundstage. Speaker fairly wide apart (9' plus I believe) with some toe in.

AppletonR3.JPEG

Medium room, no toe in, good to excellent soundstage:

VegasR3.JPEG

Current room, toed in a tiny bit to avoid right wall: Soundstage not as good in my smaller apt so I've tried some and zero toe in.

R3YamahaA2080.JPG

Current small apartment placement, no toe in, further from right wall. Pretty good but much better in a larger room:

SanDiegoCurrentR3.JPG

BoredErica

I support my Metas on Sanus stands which have an 8" x 8.5" top plate. Coverage is perfect on the bottom. Because of the way the speaker is constructed the front baffle bows out beyond the footprint of the bottom plate. This bowing in no way makes the speaker unstable. There's very little weight on that front baffle, and the danger of these speakers tipping over on these stands is near zero.
Do you mean perfect as in the top plate is just about the size of the bottom of the speaker, or it's perfect as in it's sturdy overall?

Ataraxia

Don't you hear these R3 more forward / bright with no toe in ? my r7 sound much more natural with toe in
I agree the R3's can sound bright. This can be the recording because R's are very transparent, so not the R3's "fault." It could also be the type of music. If music is clashy and busy they will present it. Personally, I'm not into bright clashy music like some classic rock, etc.

So brightness depends on so many factors IMO, source, mastering/recording, music type, room, room placement... Right now my placement is less than ideal too with a huge TV screen between the speakers.

I've found they can be bright toed in or straight ahead.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I agree the R3's can sound bright. This can be the recording because R's are very transparent, so not the R3's "fault." It could also be the type of music. If music is clashy and busy they will present it. Personally, I'm not into bright clashy music like some classic rock, etc.

So brightness depends on so many factors IMO, source, mastering/recording, music type, room, room placement... Right now my placement is less than ideal too with a huge TV screen between the speakers.

I've found they can be bright toed in or straight ahead.
With a little toe-in my R7s sound more smooth overall, i also boost the bass up using a low shelf filter down to 31hz ( port ), it's a very kind speaker with poorly recording

banjo!

I'm planning on buying KEF R3 speakers for left and right. They won't sell one separate for a center channel. Do you think a LS50 Meta would be good for a center channel? Or would it be better to go with a Q650c. I'm using this system for about 80% movies and 20% music?

gasolin75

"I was not a fan of the original..."

I purchased the LS50 after reading all the rave reviews people gave it on the internet and was thoroughly disappoint with it. Nice to see that I wasn't the only one that was not a fan. Wish I had returned them within the return period, but missed it. Oh well, have since added EQ and now they sound much better to me.

Speaker Toni did an excellent video comparing the LS50 to the LS3/5a. This comparison is accurate. Use headphones. His LS50 had the same tonal character as mine do. With the miniDSP 2x4HD I made my LS50 sound like the LS3/5a in the video by reducing the mids a bit and boosting the top end a bit. Here is a link to the video.
people say you need a propper amp to get the best out of it, do you have one ?

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
I'm planning on buying KEF R3 speakers for left and right. They won't sell one separate for a center channel. Do you think a LS50 Meta would be good for a center channel? Or would it be better to go with a Q650c. I'm using this system for about 80% movies and 20% music?
The KEF R3 are on sale today at KEF.

BoredErica

They've been on sale. :^)
I suspect they will continue to be, or at least every shopping season until new R3 launches.

Last edited:
Top Bottom