• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Bookshelf Speaker) Video

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I usually look at PIR to be one of the most significant graph in speakers reviews.
True but I think its applicability depends on your setup. The closer you sit to the speakers, the more your actual result is going to look like the listening window and not the PIR, since you're changing the direct to reflected sound ratio. So a Genelec on the desktop should probably be flat, or nearly flat, and not sloped.

VBSurrey

Forum Donor
My speakers are Golden Ear Triton Ones. They are designed to be used with a toe-in so they intersect at the listening position

Attachments

• GE speaker positioning.pdf
    59.3 KB · Views: 250

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought Amir said if your see the driver moving, the bass is getting audibly distorted?
With a 2-way coaxial design, I would be more bothered about mids distorsion with such excursion. At least, in theory. The Meta seems to do a good job dealing with that:
KEF LS50 Meta Measurements THD vs Frequency Response Bookshelf Coaxial Speaker.png

But, yeah it is still a 5" woofer at the end. No magic there.

Last edited:

BoredErica

Bass should be OK. With a 2-way coaxial design, I would be more bothering about mids distorsion with such excursion.
Oh right, I think that was what Amir said now I think about it.

Nightyard

I thought Amir said if your see the driver moving, the bass is getting audibly distorted?
Every speaker moves, thats how they work. If you record your speakers side on, youll see them move more obviously due to the fps your camera records at.

BoredErica

Every speaker moves, thats how they work. If you record your speakers side on, youll see them move more obviously due to the fps your camera records at.
When I said 'if you see the driver moving', I meant with the naked eye not with assistance from a camera. As in, if it moves enough such that a naked eye can see it. I know speaker drivers move.

From Amir:
By the time you see any significant separation/movement of the woofer, the bass starts to change. Push it to move more and you are in distortion territory. The driver is simply too small/lacks the excursion for high dynamic range.

Last edited:

Nightyard

When I said 'if you see the driver moving', I meant with the naked eye not with assistance from a camera. As in, if it moves enough such that a naked eye can see it. I know speaker drivers
ah, of course. I think I need to set up a balanced active XO to send everything sub 100hz to a subwoofer, even if it is just my pc desk setup.

I just played Blade Runner 2049 track again at the same volume as in the recording and it's about 80db. Much louder than I'd typically listen to it at, but according to the graph shared by VintageFlanker, should still sound quite accurate.

Last edited:

Chillazar

Hi Amir,

I was planning on getting these as my first pair of speakers but you mentioned these need a lot of power. Coming from headphone audio, I don't know what's considered powerful. I was looking at Topping's modern power amplifier products or maybe the SMSL VMV A2 and I don't need that much volume anyway.
This is my first post by the way. Thank you for all those great reviews. Taking a more objective approach to this hobby definitely saved me some money.

Martinvb

Hi Amir,

I was planning on getting these as my first pair of speakers but you mentioned these need a lot of power. Coming from headphone audio, I don't know what's considered powerful. I was looking at Topping's modern power amplifier products or maybe the SMSL VMV A2 and I don't need that much volume anyway.
This is my first post by the way. Thank you for all those great reviews. Taking a more objective approach to this hobby definitely saved me some money.
The Meta's work absolutely great with the Topping PA5: no problems in driving these units to the max at all in my pretty standard living room. My definition of an improvement in audio quality (apart from good measurements) is: do I want to listen to all my essential music again with a new setup? I had this urge first after buying the LS50's, and again thereafter with the Topping.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
The Meta's work absolutely great with the Topping PA5: no problems in driving these units to the max at all in my pretty standard living room. My definition of an improvement in audio quality (apart from good measurements) is: do I want to listen to all my essential music again with a new setup? I had this urge first after buying the LS50's, and again thereafter with the Topping.
That’s what I want to do. Tell me more. Do you use balanced input. Do you have a preamp? DAC?

Martinvb

Sure. I owned a recent RCA out streamer (Audiophonics Raspdac Mini LCD), which is soundwise quite capable. However, I decided to go for the matching E50 DAC of Topping, which is balanced and has a higher input voltage. It will therefore squeeze a bit more sound out of the PA5—if needed I should say, because the amp is quite powerful for daily use already. This DAC (/preamp) was also recently rated by Amir as a top class product. The combination of LS50, PA5 and E50 is perfect for me in terms of functionality and audio quality. Another nice feature is that you can use the unbalanced output of the E50 to drive a powered sub (the E50 can drive both outputs simultaneously) which in rare instances may boost the bass, e.g. when you’re having a party. Still, 99 percent of the time I do not use a sub (I am not a real party guy..). This is a setup I think I will stick to for a long time. A big thanks to @amirm for all the valuable info and insights! If not for ASR I might have ended up with less capable and probably much more expensive equipment.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
I have my sub (KEF 62) wired on high level speaker wires from a 200 watt /ch AB amp. I had clicked buy on Amazon for the PA5 and then chickened out and cancelled a few minutes later.....having second thoughts on the power/clipping to the metas. It would be a considerable step down in power.

I would probably go back to low level on the sub and let the sub do the crossover if my courage returns.

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amazes me how some golden eared internet audio reviewers (like Jay Soulsik) can listen to both the OG and the Meta and find only "slight differences" between the two. Makes me wonder what orifice he was either listening with, or maybe talking out of.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well -sue me but I can't hear any difference between the originals and the LS50 Metas. I like my originals in Racing Red, so I kept those. I don't believe a piece of rubber makes a big difference, and my listening session confirmed my suspicion. I think KEF is trying to drive the same upgrade cycle as smartphones go through, experimenting with marginal innovation and price and see how that drives buyer behavior.

The key to me is -as has been incessantly stated- to pair them with a good, musical sub, but also very importantly to set the sub crossover anywhere from 60-80Hz to let the LS50 focus on what they do best. Different amps will have different slopes, so experiment with whatever sound best for you. I'd say if you're a basshead you may want 2 good subs and set things at 120Hz or so, but then you'll have to set up things very carefully. The rewards will be huge though.

I'd venture to say if you carefully balance any LS50 with optimal sub crossover, placement etc for your room, you'll get total reference sound. Prolly much better and easier (and at a fraction of the cost) of reference full-range floorstanders (which are near impossible to set up optimally in anything other than a purpose-designed, large room).

BoredErica

Well -sue me but I can't hear any difference between the originals and the LS50 Metas. I like my originals in Racing Red, so I kept those. I don't believe a piece of rubber makes a big difference, and my listening session confirmed my suspicion.
uh
There were multiple changes coming into Meta, not just the metamaterial. Are you saying Kef took 9 years to refresh the speaker and all they did was remove the gloss and add a piece of rubber? The difference in FR/directivity is also audible, but maybe it's not a big difference for some people.

Audio in general is like that. The difference between half decent speakers aren't HUGE. So your experience doesn't surprise me too much.
The key to me is -as has been incessantly stated- to pair them with a good, musical sub
What makes a sub musical vs good but not musical?

Last edited:
Top Bottom