• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Bookshelf Speaker Review

QMuse

Major Contributor
I also didn't believe it as least to be as significant but it is, see my (ex) B&W 606 measured in my old and new house but placed as close as possible to the front wall, old house (blue curve), -3dB point due to room gain lower than 30 Hz:
View attachment 53933
and the same loudspeaker in my new listening room/house, -3dB point at 60 Hz:
View attachment 53935

Well, how much of the LF gets reflected vs how much passes through the walls depends on the weight of the wall - the denser material they are built from and the thicker they are the more LF gets reflected back into the room increasing room LF gain.

But it is also hard to compare LF response in 2 rooms as room geometry is not the same and speaker's position probably isn't the same as well.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Of course the room dimension weren't identical but the placement was very similar and we are talking about huge broadband differences of more then 5dB.

Yes, but without knowing the freqs of room modes in both rooms it is practically impossible to compare. Upper graph seem to get a happy wide boost at 60Hz while speakers at lower graph seem to be suffering from null at 50Hz. But it is really hard to tell without mdoe detailed measreuemns of both rooms.

QMuse

Major Contributor
No that was with no EQ. With EQ, it's a smooth upward trend toward the bass but I can't get rid of a 120Hz dip because it's SBIR due to being about 3ft from the sidewalls. My filters based on the room curve attenuated a bit too much in the highs but still EQ'd the same areas so it wasn't a night and day difference but it still sounds better using the anechoic listening window in my opinion, which is consistent with the research.

Take a look here at @thewas_ measurement, that is how LS50 in-room response is supposed to look:

KEF LS50 Hifi setup listening position FR.png

Now compare it with your response. That is what I meant when I said you're completely missing the entire bass.

LS50vs.jpg

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also didn't believe it as least to be as significant but it is, see my (ex) B&W 606 measured in my old and new house but placed as close as possible to the front wall, old house (blue curve), -3dB point due to room gain lower than 30 Hz:
View attachment 53933
and the same loudspeakers in my new listening room/house, -3dB point at 60 Hz:
View attachment 53935
Does the construction differ a lot between them?
I have the opposite problem with solid was and floor, lossy walls sounds like a good problem to have, if you don't have close neighbours.

Jon AA

Forum Donor
Take a look here at @thewas_ measurement, that is how LS50 in-room response is supposed to look:
Now compare it with your response. That is what I meant when I said you're completely missing the entire bass.
Didn't he already clearly say those speakers had a crossover applied? That's exactly how many here have suggested bookshelves that will be used with a sub should be tested in listening tests (high pass at 80 Hz or so). Clearly he's using a higher frequency here, but most report that's what you want to do with these speakers for the best sound.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the construction differ a lot between them?
I have the opposite problem with solid was and floor, lossy walls sounds like a good problem to have, if you don't have close neighbours.
It seems it does, the biggest obvious difference is a large window wall which I also read in a different page could act as a bass absorber.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems it does, the biggest obvious difference is a large window wall which I also read in a different page could act as a bass absorber.
I highly doubt glass absorbs bass, but it passes through it much more than brick, any energy that goes through will not refect back into the room.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the famous KEF LS50 speaker. It was kindly loaned to me by a local member. The LS50 costs US $1,500 but seems to be on sale for US $1,300 on Amazon and elsewhere.

The LS50 nails the look of the speaker with the bright color and shape of the concentric driver:

80% of the success of a speaker in this super crowded market is the industrial design and KEF nails that. The enclosure itself feels like it is solid all the way to its core!

Not much exciting on the back other than nice sized speaker terminals and a port that has benefited from good simulations:

My company became a KEF dealer for a short period of time when the LS50 had just come out. We set it up with a Revel sub optimized for the room with DSP and it sounded good in our little room. Since then I have heard it at shows but no opportunity for careful analysis of it.

Of course there are tons of reviews and measurements of the LS50. The idea of us testing it is to have a reference set of measurements using the same system (Klippel NFS) and graphics as I present for other speakers.

Measurements were performed at around 57 degrees at elevation of 14 feet above sea level. All scents were neutralized in the lab as to eliminate their effect on measurements (had to take a shower myself). To make sure the system was ready for precise results, a five axis laser convolvometer was used to determine the acoustic center of the speaker. Independent lab data is available for the calibration system on request.

Spinorama Speaker Measurements
Our "bible" for how a speaker may sound based on measurements it the spinorama as standardized in CEA/CTA-2034 standard:
View attachment 47771

Focusing on the on-axis graph (in black) and its close relative, the listening window (dashed green line), we see that there is a good sized drop in bass frequencies between 50 and 150 Hz. Post crossover there is a boost in mid-frequencies starting at 2.2 kHz. The ideal here is a flat line and unfortunately we don't have it.

Good news is that the reflections as represented by the dashed blue line has less variation in it so be sure to let those play out instead of covering your walls with absorbers.

Predicted in-room response assuming you let the reflections be therefore looks like this:

View attachment 47772

Doesn't look too bad other than the droop in low bass.

In summary, you are going to have somewhat anemic bass with some exaggerations of frequencies.

Basic Speaker Measurements
The impedance chart is presented to figure out if the amplifier is "difficult" to drive and hence requires beefy amplification:

View attachment 47775

Lowest impedance above 20 Hz is at 216 Hz. Phase angle is high at the same time so that is a difficult load although music energy is also rather low there.

At 40 Hz where a lot of music peaks are the impedance is higher to above 10 Ohm (good). Below it though we dip back down to 5 ohms or less.

Sensitivity is specified at 85 dB at 1 meter/2.83 volts. We get:

View attachment 47776

At mid-frequencies we get there. But in bass, you drop way down to some 75 dB. So don't go running standard calculators online on how loud a speaker gets based on the 85 dB one. Bass is where it is at and there, you need tons more power than 85 dB would indicate.

Advanced Speaker Measurements
For people who like to spend hours on measurements, here is all you need to pass that time.

Let's start with contour plots. In previous measurements, I showed them at 5 degree resolution. If we are going to measurebate, might as well go out with 1 degree granularity to put to shame anyone measuring speakers at 10 degree increments manually! :D

View attachment 47777

View attachment 47800

Here is the waterfall/"CSD" graph using the same scale as I presented in my last review.
View attachment 47781

Distortion Measurements
These are all in-room measurements at the same SPL as the spinorama measurements:

View attachment 47782

Here is the same data but presented in the more familiar THD ratio/percentage:

View attachment 47783

High frequency polar plot
I went up and down the frequency range to find anything interesting to find but there wasn't any. The coaxial driver nicely generates a balloon of sound even around crossover region. I thought we must have some eye candy though so I thought I present this plot at 20 kHz:

View attachment 47784

Science can be beautiful! Unlike the typical measurements performed, we have a full 3-D scan of the speaker radiation so we can present graphs like this with high resolution to show all their details.

A bit on the useful side, the same info plotted in 2-D (inset) shows that our acoustic center (tweeter) matches the measured acoustic center.

Really, really informal listening tests
I had just listened to the Harbeth M30 speakers so I thought I swap the two and listen to the same tracks. Well, this was a let down. There was no bass to speak of. Turning up the volume resulted in distortion as I could visibly see the little woofer trying to keep up. Definitely not a good choice for a large space. A subwoofer with proper EQ is well advised. Overall, I could not get excited over the sound I was getting.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Bought on rack to store speakers on. Felt good for a few hours until this morning when half a dozen new and huge boxes arrived! Have to buy another rack to store them! Needless to say, I am not happy spending money on anything I can't eat. So please help make me happy by donating food money using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

That John Darko is always waxing lyrical about these KEF speakers as those they're the best speakers ever made. I suppose all that free stock got to his head.

jae

Major Contributor
Have been considering a pair of these. In Canada they are about $720-750 USD new and $1400-1500 USD for the wireless/active version.

tvr2500m

Have been considering a pair of these. In Canada they are about $720-750 USD new and $1400-1500 USD for the wireless/active version.

What are you waiting for?? I have a pair of passive LS50s. They are excellent. The question is are there speakers for the same'ish or even less money that you might like as much or more? There are so many good speakers out there today. The LS50 is certainly a speaker to consider seriously.

Where are you getting those prices? The are very good.

jae

Major Contributor
The prices were just off Amazon (Canadian) and a couple Canadian online retailers I found from a quick Google search. It seems they are market on 'sale' and the passives and actives are usually ~$2000 and ~$3000 CAD, respectively. I'd be a lot more comfortable buying the passives used than the actives of course, but don't mind paying for new ones at those prices I mentioned before.

I have actually never owned active speakers in my life or even used many bookshelf speakers admittedly. I was originally going to get the LS50 passives but as it is a gift for my elderly father with health problems I feel I may just go with the actives to keep things economical, because I would undoubtedly be tempted to spend more than double or triple the price difference on preamp, amp, streamer/dac etc. Many reviews I have heard mentioned it takes quite a bit of capable gear to get them on par with the actives, and even then the actives may still be better.

He is still using his reel-to-reel, TOTL Sansui Receiver, and speakers (https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sansui/sp-x7700.shtml - nothing special in today's day and age) from over 40 years ago. So I think that the actives may be a more simplistic setup he can just use with his phone, and perhaps CD player, and clear some clutter and space, and I am planning to get him a subscription to Tidal or Qobuz to go along with it. Only thing I am concerned about is because of their size, perhaps they will not sound as good off axis or when he is listening from another room?

Admittedly I have a bit of an ulterior motive though- if I like the sound I'll be buying a pair for myself as well ;)

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The prices were just off Amazon (Canadian) and a couple Canadian online retailers I found from a quick Google search. It seems they are market on 'sale' and the passives and actives are usually ~$2000 and ~$3000 CAD, respectively. I'd be a lot more comfortable buying the passives used than the actives of course, but don't mind paying for new ones at those prices I mentioned before.

I have actually never owned active speakers in my life or even used many bookshelf speakers admittedly. I was originally going to get the LS50 passives but as it is a gift for my elderly father with health problems I feel I may just go with the actives to keep things economical, because I would undoubtedly be tempted to spend more than double or triple the price difference on preamp, amp, streamer/dac etc. Many reviews I have heard mentioned it takes quite a bit of capable gear to get them on par with the actives, and even then the actives may still be better.

He is still using his reel-to-reel, TOTL Sansui Receiver, and speakers (https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sansui/sp-x7700.shtml - nothing special in today's day and age) from over 40 years ago. So I think that the actives may be a more simplistic setup he can just use with his phone, and perhaps CD player, and clear some clutter and space, and I am planning to get him a subscription to Tidal or Qobuz to go along with it. Only thing I am concerned about is because of their size, perhaps they will not sound as good off axis or when he is listening from another room?

Admittedly I have a bit of an ulterior motive though- if I like the sound I'll be buying a pair for myself as well ;)
I have heard that the LS50W apps aren’t actually so easy to use.

If ease of use is the goal, I’d go for a HomePod (or two). That would also eliminate any issues with listening off axis.

If ultimate sound quality is the goal, I’d go for the LS50W. However, I wouldn’t expect it to be hassle free.

YSC

Major Contributor
Actually considering my personal listening experience and the price and measurement, I would prefer a pair of active Adam audio T7V or genelec 8030D and pair them with a decent dac for simplicity and great sound

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was comparing the listening window graph to the one provided by the nrc. https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153 it is interesting that basically all the dips etc are the exact same but just tighter. Is the difference likely just sample variation?

They are not using the same formula to calculate the Listening Window.

The page you linked to states: "Response curve is an average of five measurements: on-axis, 15 degrees left and right off-axis, 15 degrees up and down off-axis"

The CTA-2034A standard, which is what everyone here uses (including Klippel) states in section 5.2: "The listening window curve is a spatial average of the nine magnitude responses in the ±10º vertical and ±30º horizontal angular range."

Different methods, different results.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Check KEF Direct, This month the LS50 is $900, wireless $1800.

Pepperjack

Check KEF Direct, This month the LS50 is $900, wireless $1800.

yes I actually just got a pair of ls50 in and am comparing them to the r5. Having only one receiver my plan is to run the eq for one and then have my daughter connect them with me blindfolded and listen to each with a predetermine song list, scoring them. Then do it the reverse without knowing which is playing. Best I can think to do it.

having not run audessey with the ls50 I cant really say anything but just swapping the connectors was interesting. The vocals on the r5 disappear from the speakers for me, as though the singer is somewhere in front but most of the instruments etc are all clearly coming from the speakers, especially when looking at the speaker.

however when first connecting the ls50 everything seemed to come from the air between and when looking at the speakers I still could not identify any sounds specifically coming from them.

perhaps it was just a fluke of superior positioning, something about the eq, or maybe jist because the r5 woofers are doing a lot more, but, will be interesting to see how it goes once they are set up properly. Eventually I plan to get a second subwoofer but for now I will be using the svs12nsd I have though it’s much too small for the space, even when 8.5ft away audssey still thinks it’s 14feet away:)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
however when first connecting the ls50 everything seemed to come from the air between and when looking at the speakers I still could not identify any sounds specifically coming from them.

This is exactly why the LS50's raised such a flurry when they were released.

Top Bottom