• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 amp woes

kixo

Hey everyone,

Long time reader here but finally decided to create an account and ask a few questions

I currently own a pair of Kef LS50 (non-meta) for my desktop setup, which I acquired ~3 months ago

It is not the most ideal setup due to spacing (close to the wall, but ports are plugged) but overall its been an amazing nearfield listening experience since I upgraded from the Kef Q150.

My setup currently goes:
KEF LS50 connected to XZT Edge A2-300 / Mcintosh MC250 to RME ADI2 DAC to PC
SVS PB2000 is also in the mix

My question I have today is regarding amps.

I've been using a Mcintosh MC250 with the LS50 and its pretty amazing setup so far, but was lacking a bit of 'something' and I was curious how a class D amp would sound with the LS50. What I didn't like on the MC250 was that the bass from this amp is minimal and because of the noise floor.

2 weeks ago I purchased a XZT Edge A2-300

Initial response is that the sound is definitely thinner and not as warm/lush, which I I would expect from a Class D amplifier.
The bass hits a lot more compared to my MC250 which is always what I wanted.

However, the volume is significantly lower compared to the Mcintosh. If i adjusted the gain control past 40% it will start to make a humming noise from the speakers which is driving me nuts!

I will most likely be returning the XZT due to the 2 issues mentioned above.

Now to my main question... what amp should I pair my LS50 to? That would be a considered upgrade from what I currently have?
Form factor would be something I have to consider but can always work around with.
I am not sure if a Class D amp is what I would prefer with these speakers or is my experience thus far too small a sample size?

I look forward to your advices/suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't know that particular amp, but I'm guessing the lack of bass has more to do with the room than it does the amp. The SB2000 has it's own amp powering your bass, but you may be sitting in a null. What frequency are you crossing over at?

Do you have a mic? First thing I would do is find a way to measure your system. That will help with diagnosing the problem, which will in turn make it easier to fix.

OP
K

kixo

Don't know that particular amp, but I'm guessing the lack of bass has more to do with the room than it does the amp. The SB2000 has it's own amp powering your bass, but you may be sitting in a null. What frequency are you crossing over at?

Do you have a mic? First thing I would do is find a way to measure your system. That will help with diagnosing the problem, which will in turn make it easier to fix.

Bass with the SB2000 is more than enough for sure

Sorry I wasn't clear, when I was referring to bass in my post above is mainly with the speakers alone as sometimes I turn off the PB2000 for music.

I have the crossover set ~80hz or so

Sadly no I do not have a microphone
I can only describe the noise more like a slight hum thats higher pitched kinda like staticy but not exactly like noise floor - its a bit more

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Your listening impressions were sort of my impression when I switched from my Adcom 5802 to March Audio p252 with my Harbeth SHL5+. But my son helped my blind test them (swapped cords, adjusted volume to calibrated preset to equalize) and it went away. I couldn't tell them apart.

This is worth trying, it might save you a lot of money.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Noise floor can be a problem with desktop systems.

JeffGB

Since you are using an RME Dac, all you really need is balanced cables and something like a Crown XLS 1502. I'm using a MOTU M4 because I can't afford an RME but with an XLS 1500 and my LS50's, it might be exactly what you're looking for. All the things you expect with a class D amp with incredible bass and impact. To me, it sounds a little brighter than my other amps, but I always seem to migrate back to it :). Psychologically, I hate the idea that the Crown does AD and DA conversion again, but there's just something about the sound...

Top Bottom