• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Kube 10B vs SVS SB-1000 Pro

rofub

Kube 10B and SB-1000 Pro are the only reasonably priced subs from sweetchaos' list that go sub 20Hz where I live.

AFAIK the SVS is a very popular choice. But I can find close to no information on the Kube. It is slightly cheaper and a little louder in the relevant range. It does not have bluetooth/app. Personally I hate when some household items want to connect to my phone, but I've heard good things about this app and the DSP in the SVS.

What are your thoughts on the Kube with SB-1000 Pro as reference?

kartikk

What did you decide on?
With the recent SVS price increases, these models are so close in price (the Kef seems to go on sale often too). I am trying to decide between these two models too.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I can only talk about my Kube 12B. it is great....goes down to 9Hz in my small room.
Only thing I don't like is that you are not able to remove the cover

Zeeb

For me the SVS app's gain control is a must-have (my first sub, for what it's worth). I find different recordings, at different volumes, in different listening positions can use up to ~4dB changes in gain. 1dB adjustments can be easily tested. I guess there are other options for remotely adjusting a sub though.

kartikk

I can only talk about my Kube 12B. it is great....goes down to 9Hz in my small room.
Wow 9Hz is pretty impressive.
Does the cover attract lint?

For me the SVS app's gain control is a must-have (my first sub, for what it's worth). I find different recordings, at different volumes, in different listening positions can use up to ~4dB changes in gain. 1dB adjustments can be easily tested. I guess there are other options for remotely adjusting a sub though.
This will be my first sub too. I plan on connecting it to my AVR. Not sure how the sub volume will work when the volume is reduced on the AVR
I definitely see a lot of value in being able to adjust the sub remotely though for listening to mixed content.

Zeeb

This will be my first sub too. I plan on connecting it to my AVR. Not sure how the sub volume will work when the volume is reduced on the AVR
I definitely see a lot of value in being able to adjust the sub remotely though for listening to mixed content.
I use a DAC (with split outputs to main speakers and sub) so I'm not sure, but an AVR could be similar... The sub volume seems to correlate fine, up and down, with the main speakers - it's mostly the listening position and the content type that I adjust gain for. If I'm listening to low volume background music I might turn the sub up or down a bit to experiment but I don't find that part a big deal.

Good luck with your first sub. I'm finding it 'eye opening' and very rewarding now that I've started to get a handle on it. (I even found I can use it for 2 rooms simultaneously [2 sets of main speakers] by putting it facing the doorway of the second room, about 1 metre from the doorway. The second room has a null spot but the sub even adds some worthwhile bass with the door closed!)

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Wow 9Hz is pretty impressive.

My room boosts a lot though. but not every sub would take advantage of this

Does the cover attract lint?

I can't really say since I live by the ocean. we don't have lint cause of sea spray.

anyways, the look is very clean. even my girlfriend finds it beautifull. probably the highest WAF sub out there

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
I had the Kube 10b. Awesome sub. Very dense and heavy. Gets really low for the size with whatever DSP magic they're utilizing.

gbrnole

the Kube10b and SVS SB-1000 and even the 1000 Pro are good subs but were never particularly compelling for me. It's very easy to replicate their performance with relatively little effort and much less cost via DIY. A pair can be built with a decent amount of cash to spare for a third build for the retail cost of a Kube10b in the US. Of course this is all very dependent on if you are handy and have the tools available.

The SVS SB-2000 Pro on the other hand would take a chunk more money to replicate as you would need a decent high excursion driver (about 4x the cost of the drivers i would use in the example above) and an amp with a multi point pEQ to take advantage of the greater xmax to boost the low end (about 2x the cost of the amp i would use in the example above).

Zeeb

The SVS SB-2000 Pro ...
Yes I just got the SB-1000 Pro but if I was shopping today I would seriously consider spending the extra for the SB-2000 Pro... I'm very happy with the 1000 but I'm just curious.

On the other hand the 1000 goes way louder than I need, so it may not make an audible difference for me in my small rooms. And its smaller size makes it really easy to move around. I'm also glad I got the gloss black... at first I thought it would only be under a TV table but now I'm also moving it sometimes to a more visible position (for 2 rooms together). (I hate reflective gloss in general (on cars, computer monitors etc.) but reflected light isn't a problem for me near the floor.)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Room gain for the win. :)
ohyeah.gif

Thought the author was drunk, then i saw it's machine translated.

I personally think the SVS SB-1000 Pro or better yet, the SVS SB-1000 with a MiniDSP 2x4HD, is better value than the Kef.

MacClintock

Interesting @dasdoing . Since I live also in Brazil and am interested in getting a pair of subs for my JBL 308PMKIIs, do you have any recommendation? The market here is unfortunately very limited. Strangely the KEFs are available without the import tax surcharge like most others. But they are already 5 years on the market, so there might soon be a new model? Have you heard about this SoundCraft series (SRSi and HRSi) ? SVS is ridiculously overriced here, so no way. The OSD Trevoce EQ DSP series might be interesting as well. And what about the Brazilian brand AAT? Ony others?
I know, many questions, sorry for sequestering this thread.

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Interesting @dasdoing . Since I live also in Brazil and am interested in getting a pair of subs for my JBL 308PMKIIs, do you have any recommendation? The market here is unfortunately very limited. Strangely the KEFs are available without the import tax surcharge like most others. But they are already 5 years on the market, so there might soon be a new model? Have you heard about this SoundCraft series (SRSi and HRSi) ? SVS is ridiculously overriced here, so no way. The OSD Trevoce EQ DSP series might be interesting as well. And what about the Brazilian brand AAT? Ony others?
I know, many questions, sorry for sequestering this thread.

rapaz,

Purchased mine in 2020 from www.boosterdobrasil.com. Seems like the website is currently down.

Interestingly, the KEFs are surprisingly affordable here. Even cheaper when bought from Paraguay. In fact, during my research, I discovered that they were priced lower in Paraguay compared to amazon.com (not com.br). It's something I still can't quite comprehend. It almost appears as if they send products to Paraguay when they don't sell internationally. I suspect that the Kube line may not have sold well due to its previous subpar subs. However, I can assure you that the 12b is an excellent sub. I just want to mention that it lacks a limiter or any form of protection. This is only relevant if you enjoy playing music at high volumes, though.

I decided against going the Paraguay route (there are Brazilian websites offering them for a cheaper price) due to warranty concerns. Subwoofers contain a lot of power, and sometimes they can be faulty.

Regarding a new model, they have indeed released new subs. However, they aren't the same type as the kube line. I wouldn't wait for a new kube line.

I've never heard of SoundCraft, and it's even challenging to find information about them on Google.

Interesting pictures, but the written part gets pretty silly.

it's a google translated link

Ellebob

Forum Donor
If you have the 308s what about the LSR-310 sub if that is available in your area.

MacClintock

If you have the 308s what about the LSR-310 sub if that is available in your area.
Yes, sure, but the pricing is very strange in Brazil, the LSR-310 costs about the same as the KEF Kube 12B, the latter seems to be the better sub.

MacClintock

rapaz,

Purchased mine in 2020 from www.boosterdobrasil.com. Seems like the website is currently down.

Interestingly, the KEFs are surprisingly affordable here. Even cheaper when bought from Paraguay. In fact, during my research, I discovered that they were priced lower in Paraguay compared to amazon.com (not com.br). It's something I still can't quite comprehend. It almost appears as if they send products to Paraguay when they don't sell internationally. I suspect that the Kube line may not have sold well due to its previous subpar subs. However, I can assure you that the 12b is an excellent sub. I just want to mention that it lacks a limiter or any form of protection. This is only relevant if you enjoy playing music at high volumes, though.

I decided against going the Paraguay route (there are Brazilian websites offering them for a cheaper price) due to warranty concerns. Subwoofers contain a lot of power, and sometimes they can be faulty.

Regarding a new model, they have indeed released new subs. However, they aren't the same type as the kube line. I wouldn't wait for a new kube line.

I've never heard of SoundCraft, and it's even challenging to find information about them on Google.

Thanks for the answer, from KEF there is the KC62 and KC92 series, they look nice, are small and go very low (11dB), but are much more expensive.
I am favouring the Kef Kube 12, it's available for R$4200, but would like to know if it is worth to invest more and get one of this new SoundCraft series, which was Sunfire before. Either the 10'' or 12'' model. I like very much the piano gloss look and the brutal look of the fibre glass woofer (and regret like you that the cloth of the KEF cannot be taken off): https://speakercraft.com/product/speakercraft-hrsi-10-subwoofer-multivoltage/, but could't find any measurement data yet (CEA-2010). The 10'' I have seen for R$6300, so about 50% more than the KEF. I ask myself if it is worth it. Does the KEF have an app for DSP?

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, the translation seemed okay, but the audiophoolery shone thru. Like this under the "Hearing" subtitle "To our greatest regret, the power cable remained the factory one, because we did not have a suitable connector at our disposal" and that's just before mentioning using a Nordost cable too.

Top Bottom