• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF - Jack O'Clee-Brown Interviewed

• Thread starter Deleted member 14468
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 14468

Hello,

Knowing this site trends heavily toward engineering-based hi-fi designs, I don't think there's any better person to bring to the forefront than KEF's Dr. Jack Oclee-Brown. As he says in this long interview I conducted with him last month, you can engineer a loudspeaker. Enjoy!

Doug Schneider
SoundStage!

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can see how advanced KEF is, the interview is one month from the future (May 2020)! :p

Now seriously, Dr. Jack Oclee-Brown is a really brilliant engineer who remained humble and gentleman, I had the luck to meet him in person 2 years ago at KEF.

OP
D

Deleted member 14468

Ahead of our time! Actually, the slated launched for this interview was May 1, but with people at home right now, we figured it would be best to release it early.

And you're correct about Dr. Jack.

Doug Schneider
SoundStage!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Huge respect for him and KEF. I watch/read all his interviews.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

aarons915

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dr. Jack.
Any chance of a followup? I'd be very curious to ask
- We know the pros of Uni-Q are the concentric sound source, and presumably pattern control. What are the cons? And how does KEF mitigate those? Especially in 2-way designs with no other woofers, for instance, the woofer which loads the tweeter is changing its position; how does that affect the tweeter response?

I'd be really curious if @amirm or someone could run a measurement of the tweeter with the woofer cone displaced fully out, center, fully in and see what happens. (The only way offhand I can think to do that would require superimposing DC on the test signal to displace the woofer cone...I'd hope there's a simpler way...I guess you could do it physically if you had a Uni-Q with a damaged woofer you didn't care about...)

Top Bottom