• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef Corelli? Anyone?

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Folks,

Is there anyone here with experience with the Kef Corelli speakers? I can't find a frequency response or distortion measurements.

Do you think there is any sense in getting a used pair for something else than love for vintage gear?

Thanks!

DSJR

Major Contributor
They were nice actually. Not really for shelf use (as we demmed them) as the mid bass gets a touch 'tubby,' but today on highish stands, I'd say they'd be quite good still and not too wayward in response. Crossover caps may be tired now (even the classic 105 crossovers drift off now if an HFN test a few years back is anything to go by) but they're not a complex model.

I'd not spend silly money on them though...

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there anyone here with experience with the Kef Corelli speakers? I can't find a frequency response or distortion measurements.
Do you think there is any sense in getting a used pair for something else than love for vintage gear?
If the price is acceptable (very low), buy them and enjoy! Do not look for measurements, speakers older than 40 years may have increased distortion simply because of ageing or mistreating, so distortion measurements made 40 years ago on brand new loudspeakers may be overly optimistic. Same for the frequency response.

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Before buying: Carefully inspect the shape of tweeter calotte, it must be perfectly smooth - if it is wrinkled or dimpled, do not buy, the tweeter surely will distort!
Example of bad tweeter:

T27.jpg

Elkerton

I bought a pair for $50 Cdn and sold them a few years later for $100 (about 130 Euros). The tweeter cannot be replaced though you can find T27s on the used market for a small fortune. For the money that is being asked, you can buy better new these days IMHO, like a pair of Infinities.

OP
xaviescacs

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a pair for $50 Cdn and sold them a few years later for $100 (about 130 Euros). The tweeter cannot be replaced though you can find T27s on the used market for a small fortune. For the money that is being asked, you can buy better new these days IMHO, like a pair of Infinities.
Wow, I really thought @Vladimir Filevski was in jest. :D Thanks sharing!

Top Bottom