• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF blog post on cables

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The aftermarket rattle can painted spoiler on my Nissan 350Z makes it faster to me, so it was worth it.

DKT88

It is mostly a good read. Some strange things in there though like using "bare" wires for his speakers? What does that mean? Uninsulated?
I think he means he doesn't use banana plugs, etc. on the stripped wire ends and puts a little solder on the ends.

Hypnotoad

I love this part as I see people touting the benefits of quality (expensive) power cables all the time:

A Quick Note On Power Cables

As with everything, quality counts but there are limits as to what a power cable can do for your sound.

Walk outside and look up at the utility pole outside of your house. See those steel cables up on the top? That's where your power comes from before it goes into your house and magically squirts out of the wall. If you think a good insulator and conductor alone is going to clean that power up, I've got some cable I'd like to sell you. Quality components all contain circuits to filter the power inside of the individual components in your system so spend your money on good components that are well-designed on the inside and you won't have to worry about how well your comparatively incredibly short power cable cleans up all of that mess acquired in a potentially thousand-plus mile outdoor cable run.

Music1969

Major Contributor
"What you want is an insulator resilient to everyday wear and tear, and that has been designed to shield your audio signals from electromagnetic pollution like radio waves. RF will not directly affect your audio performance but can possibly affect the performance of circuits within your equipment."

So shielded cables are recommended for speaker cables?

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
With a drain wire connected to what (safely)?

shanecoughlan

Forum Donor
Typically speaker cables are unshielded though.... KEF is referring to shielded cables in the quote above.

My understanding is that standard insulated cable makes use of a twisted pair to reduce noise. Unless you are in an environment with significant electromagnetic interference, an EMI shielded cable is unlikely to provide much benefit.

Of course, if someone has numbers showing otherwise, happy to review and learn!

DKT88

I think he was just sloppy in combining the functions of interconnects and speaker cables and wasn't advocating for shielded speaker cables. His writing would get a B- in my technical writing class.

Top Bottom