• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF 104 possible upgrades?

techNIK

First post here, I inherited a pair of KEF 104 (not the 104/2 nor the 104ab, the original model) from my grandfather and I am wondering if it is worth to restore it.
From a quick search some obvious upgrades would be:

1) Replacing the caps with the falcon acoustics capacitor set (~25€) (https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/kef-104-replacement-capacitor-set-alcap-50v-lloss-5.html)

2) Applying a KEF 104ab crossover kit (I don’t know if it is possible to find one and how much would that cost)

3) Replacing the woofer of the right speaker with an original one since it seems far smaller in diameter than the other, the original was blown I suppose (I don’t know if it is possible to find one and how much would that cost as well)

I am a newbie in the audiophile world, so I apologize if my questions are basic.

Vince2

I have the same pair. Mine definitely needed some restoration to sound anywhere close to what they are capable of. Although they were a reference standard for a long time, now it is more sentimental reasons to listen to them and reconnect with listening to my first cd's on a Philips player in the eighties and getting goose bumps.

OP
T

techNIK

They seem to be still great units and comparable to modern speakers, according to other owners at least. Mine are nowhere near that level, without some restoration first maybe too. What kind of restoration did you do if you don't mind asking?

Vince2

When I started to hear a rattle and distortion, I replaced the mid range drivers but then did not listen to them for several years. When I tried to set up a multi channel system, I got them out again and noticed a lack of high range. Could not find any substitute tweeters and then discovered that the crossovers could be the problem. As I had several thiel speakers that were easier to repair as I had easier access to parts, I stayed with the thiel speakers in my multichannel setup. I kept the kef though as it is just a matter of time that I will expand the multichannel system with more channels and will call them back into duty. I expect them to do well with my thiels full range floor standing speakers.

Top Bottom