• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kareoke Setup

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ipad-Tidal or Youtube kareoke-Chromecast-Topping 30-P.A.(with mikes)
20181207_174255[1].jpg

OP
Rod

Rod

Well after playing around with it for a few days, its about what I expected. Sounds a little tinny, but the separate units are light enough for the ladies to set on the floor or on stands on the side of the tv and small enough to fit behind the tv when not using it to sing. Sounds better than the sound bar I had and helps me hear the vocals better when I am watching tv. I plan on using a remote on-off switch for the PA because its 6 feet to get to the back of the PA;). Anyway,wife is having fun with it,which is what matters. Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
OP
Rod

Rod

Added this old JVC karaoke player and it all still works. Will use it to play cd's though as component out looks bad on modern TV's. Makes a good cd player. Next will be a slim sub to fill out the lows(dont have the room for a normal size sub).
20181214_160254[1].jpg

bigx5murf

I recall seeing a Karaoke amp while thrift shopping a couple months ago. I think it was a Yamaha KPA-501, I was a little tempted to pick it up, but could find next to no info on it. I recall it having A+B speaker outputs, and a lot of preset EQ settings, a couple of mic jacks, a couple of analog inputs.

My wife's also a fan of karaoke. She's been using the wii and 360 ktv games. But she wants Japanese, Korean, and Chinese songs, and I haven't figured out how to do that. Foreign games won't play without modifications, which when done hamper the devices other features. It's too bad, but video game consoles really do the karaoke thing well. Unfortunately the games lose support over time, and song selection becomes too limited.

Reactions: Rod

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I recall seeing a Karaoke amp while thrift shopping a couple months ago. I think it was a Yamaha KPA-501, I was a little tempted to pick it up, but could find next to no info on it. I recall it having A+B speaker outputs, and a lot of preset EQ settings, a couple of mic jacks, a couple of analog inputs.

My wife's also a fan of karaoke. She's been using the wii and 360 ktv games. But she wants Japanese, Korean, and Chinese songs, and I haven't figured out how to do that. Foreign games won't play without modifications, which when done hamper the devices other features. It's too bad, but video game consoles really do the karaoke thing well. Unfortunately the games lose support over time, and song selection becomes too limited.
When doing karaoke you can find many songs on youtube, vimeo or some others. I don't know how many Japanese, Korean or Chinese karaoke tracks are on youtube, but I'd bet there are some. Just search for the song title plus karaoke.

You'll need to be able to output sound from a computer and do this real time.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I will only participate in Karaoke if I should (which is unlikely) once again find myself in the neighborhood of 35.7° N, 139.7° E

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I will only participate in Karaoke if I should (which is unlikely) once again find myself in the neighborhood of 35.7° N, 139.7° E

Come on Ray. Would you only listen to Mozart if you are Vienna?

bigx5murf

When doing karaoke you can find many songs on youtube, vimeo or some others. I don't know how many Japanese, Korean or Chinese karaoke tracks are on youtube, but I'd bet there are some. Just search for the song title plus karaoke.

You'll need to be able to output sound from a computer and do this real time.

I'm already setup to do that, have PC HDMI to AVR. I also have 2 XLR mic inputs courtesy to behringer umc202hd. Thing is the games are more interactive, with scoring and other mini goals. Making it more like, and in some ways better than hourly retail ktv. But the best games have online streaming for song libraries, and those will most likely just shut down some day, just like they have for the versions of the games on previous generation of consoles.

My parents had a device with thousands of instrumentals in midi format, and you pick them with codes from the remote, just like at a real retail ktv location. It also had a scoring system, but I think it was a random number generator.

OP
Rod

Rod

Chromecast hooked to the topping d30 works well for youtube karaoke. Cheap too.

OP
Rod

Rod

During my search for a machine, I seen hard drive karaoke machines pre-loaded with Asian music. I dont personally know how good they are. But in the Philippines karaoke is still very popular. Machines are everywhere, even my in-laws have one. 5 peso for two songs.

helloworld

Well, if you know a little bit about Chinese, you can buy from taobao, there are a lot of karaoke machines with 4TB preaload songs.

bigx5murf

I can't read Chinese, and can only speak it somewhat passably. My wife is literate, but she's electronics illiterate haha

Looking up some of the devices you described on aliexpress, wow they're pricey!

OP
Rod

Rod

Come on Ray. Would you only listen to Mozart if you are Vienna?
More like Tokyo.
I can't read Chinese, and can only speak it somewhat passably. My wife is literate, but she's electronics illiterate haha

Looking up some of the devices you described on aliexpress, wow they're pricey!
Yep, thats why I went the youtube route. Song quality is hit or miss. I did see this one though without music for about 250.
http://ace-karaoke.net/karaoke-player/standard-hard-disk-karaoke-jukebox.htm

Last edited:

helloworld

Looks like its cheaper with more features.
I have one karaoke system in my house, but it costs me about $2000, including 2 bmb csv900 speaker, if you want $200.... that wont sound good.....

bigx5murf

I have one karaoke system in my house, but it costs me about $2000, including 2 bmb csv900 speaker, if you want $200.... that wont sound good.....

It's just a music server, still needs amp and Mic preamp to work. Sky's the limit for your budget there.

The biggest issue with karaoke seems to be the lack of good UI, software, and library. Which of this device works well, Could fill the role.

Top Bottom