• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kanto YU6 Measurements (Powered Monitor)

Systemdek

I find the 2kHz resonance interesting. It is not showing up in the DI curves or the frequency response (at most it adds a 1 dB ripple), but it is clearly seen in the waterfall plot and the port/cabinet response.

Is this resonance audible and, if so, wouldn't it point to putting more weight into evaluating waterfall plots?

dfuller

Major Contributor
These are effectively passive speakers that have the amp in one of the boxes. I don't think I would put these in the same realm as a proper active speaker.

Also... That port/box resonance is easily one of the worst I've seen in ages.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir. Nice to have a decent speaker at this price and feature combination.

I would probably try Klipsch Fives for the use case, but these are smaller, cost less, and have a different look.

beagleman

Major Contributor
These are effectively passive speakers that have the amp in one of the boxes. I don't think I would put these in the same realm as a proper active speaker.

Also... That port/box resonance is easily one of the worst I've seen in ages.

What makes a "Proper" active speaker?

I realize some have additional types of inputs, that does not make them "active", and some have internal EQ, but that also does not make them "Proper" really.

dfuller

Major Contributor
What makes a "Proper" active speaker?

I realize some have additional types of inputs, that does not make them "active", and some have internal EQ, but that also does not make them "Proper" really.
Active speakers have active crossovers. These do not.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find the 2kHz resonance interesting. It is not showing up in the DI curves or the frequency response (at most it adds a 1 dB ripple), but it is clearly seen in the waterfall plot and the port/cabinet response.

Is this resonance audible and, if so, wouldn't it point to putting more weight into evaluating waterfall plots?
A ”tail” or “trail” on the waterfall plot correlates to a rise in frequency response (maybe not for active crossovers), and you can see slight bumps in the frequency response around 2kHz.

GimeDsp

Can you EQ a port resonance? Won't you be attenuating the driver's response whilst doing nothing to the port resonance?
If it's narrow enough you won't hear a sharp cut from EQ. It will lessen the time domain smearing/distortion. If you cut enough you shouldn't hear the resonance that keeps ringing. so you aren't getting rid of it you are just lowering the level to a point it's not so much an audible problem.

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wish the company would send Amir a Tuk but from what I have seen they have a tweeter boost/shelf like or bigger than the Adam t5v.

If they do, I hope they remember to send @amirm the remote -- the bass/treble boost on the TUKs is adjustable via the remote and mine arrived with the bass cranked up.

I've got a loaner pair of TUKs here from Kanto. I haven't fully measured them or tested them yet but the short version of the story is: I like them.

I suspect they'll actually measure somewhat poorly. There's some sparkle in the upper treble from those ribbon tweeters. Generally, I am an objectivist, but I do enjoy it in this case... it's far away from the fundamental frequencies of music and it just sort of enhances the detail in the upper treble for my tired old ears. Bass extension and output on the Tuks is impressive and you can crank them with seemingly zero cares: the DSP seems to prevent you from doing anything too dumb.

Not sure about the YU6 but engaging the subwoofer output on the TUK high-passes the mains at 80hz. Very cool. That was implemented due to customer feedback from previous models.

The MSRP on the TUKs is the real issue. $900/pair is a big ask and from an audiophile perspective you can do a lot better for the money. However I do think they make sense in a lot of places. If I was living in an apartment and didn't have a separate mancave-style music room these would be at the top of my list.

tuga

Major Contributor
If it's narrow enough you won't hear a sharp cut from EQ. It will lessen the time domain smearing/distortion. If you cut enough you shouldn't hear the resonance that keeps ringing. so you aren't getting rid of it you are just lowering the level to a point it's not so much an audible problem.

But is the resonance the result of the mid-woofer reproducing sound between 800Hz and 1.2kHz or a by-product of port activity at the tuning frequency (centered around 66Hz)?

In other words, if we low-pass the speaker at say 500Hz will the resonance disappear?

JohnBooty

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For home/recreational use cases, I don't think it's a useful distinction at all, is it?

Having fully independent powered monitors makes sense in a studio: you can run a balanced cable to each speaker to avoid interference in a electrically crowded environment, you can build a multichannel setup with more than two channels, etc.

But for home use, "proper" (by your definition) independently powered speakers are kind of a pain for a stereo setup. Can't see any performance benefit to having an amp in each unit.

(I actually do have powered JBL monitors in my main 2.2 setup at home. It's not a nightmare, but not super convenient either)

GimeDsp

But is the resonance the result of the mid-woofer reproducing sound between 800Hz and 1.2kHz or a by-product of port activity at the tuning frequency (centered around 66Hz)?

In other words, if we low-pass the speaker at say 500Hz will the resonance disappear?
I mean, who knows. there seems to be sealing issues and other sources of resonance.

I know Kanto isn't Genelec and only Kanto can say if they took structure born vibration of drivers and enclosure into account. If they did and if they tested for it then they could say so.

Acoustic sound coming out, mechanical vibrations, etc.
One would have to dampen and seal things then remeasure to see what the issue is.

Would more acoustic stuffing against the tweeter area stop some of the resonance? maybe, but it's not really worth my time to figure out.

These speakers are going in the garage where they will be great with the Bluetooth and power they have.

ON a side note Adam audio monitors have MUCH worse resonance I believe and they are sill used and loved.

kanto.jpg

rear plate.jpg

Last edited:

KantoLiving

Audio Company
@amirm Does it hiss? If I may suggest this should be part of standard active monitor testing procedure as it can be a deal breaker for many customers.
We tried very hard to keep the hiss low compared to YU5 and previous speakers. Although I'm a Kanto rep, so feel free to be cautious, I can safely say we rarely if ever get complaints about hiss.

GimeDsp

One question I should have asked Kanto before is if these are CARB clean air certified and how long it takes for the smell of them to go away.

Some people like the new car smell or new speaker smell...

YSC

Major Contributor
Quite good looking FR but seems the bass extension leaves something to be desired of the woofer size?

GimeDsp

YU6 is CARB P2 compliant
Thanks.

A pair of Elac unifi's smelled much worse and the Paradyne's took about 5 months to loose the smell.

The finish quality on the speaker itself is very nice for the price point and a hufe step up from vinyl.

GimeDsp

Quite good looking FR but seems the bass extension leaves something to be desired of the woofer size?
They are pretty small cabinets.
I know other powered speakers use DSP and limiting and all kinds of tricks to get lower extension at the cost of SPL

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As Amir stated (and I own the YU5 and it’s similar), these things get very loud, as they are usually used in a living room and not a desk. Good bass extension would cause the max SPL to be lower, plus these things have a subwoofer out.
But yes, their “LFX” is 56Hz, but it is only a 5.25” woofer (thought a 6” by the name).

Their flagship Tuk model seems to advertise more towards desk use, so not sure how deep that bass goes or how loud it gets by comparison.

Last edited:
Top Bottom