• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kal's Beolab review is out!

Werner

The measurement grid is confined to a small area around the listening position. If you have done such things yourself you would know that this does not entirely get rid of room effects.

Kal wrote that the speakers were 18" from the side walls. Nothing will rid you of that.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
They aren't meant to be quasi anechoic. I've done these types of measurements many times. JA uses them because they are a good indicator of sound quality. The room may affect the result but you have no data showing the rooms are the factor responsible for the entire measurement difference.

The measurement grid is confined to a small area around the listening position. If you have done such things yourself you would know that this does not entirely get rid of room effects.

Kal wrote that the speakers were 18" from the side walls. Nothing will rid you of that.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Anechoic directivity looks nice in the manual. But there's more to good sound quality than that. The listening room sound quality is the most important factor. So listening environment measurements are also helpful. This is why Harman uses an algorithm to predict listening room performance from anechoic measurements. And then validates its with double blind listening tests.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They have sounded spectacular in the four rooms I have heard them in until now, bass in particular is extraordinary.
Keith

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Let me say this again: The FR of the Beolab is intentionally shaped to conform to a target curve which dictates a progressive roll-off based on Toole's (and others') research about listening to playback in the far field. The FR of the ML is not equalized. Thus, you cannot compare them for flatness and it has nothing to do with the rooms in which they are used and measured.

Also, again, if I had the MLs in my room, I would be applying a similar correction target for listening purposes.

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Kal,
You are confusing two different things. You are talking about target curves. That's not what JA is talking about when he says the MLs measure better than the beolabs.

All speakers have a target curve. As you know, that target can be easily adjusted using digital filters. JA is referring to the deviation from the target. The MLs are +-2db from what appears to be a flat target. The beolabs deviate more from its target. I agree that the beolabs target shape should sound better. And the MLs will sound bright with that flat target. But that's not the point for this measurement.
Let me say this again: The FR of the Beolab is intentionally shaped to conform to a target curve which dictates a progressive roll-off based on Toole's (and others') research about listening to playback in the far field. The FR of the ML is not equalized. Thus, you cannot compare them for flatness and it has nothing to do with the rooms in which they are used and measured.

Also, again, if I had the MLs in my room, I would be applying a similar correction target for listening purposes.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Speakers have a frequency response , speakers in rooms have a target curve.
Keith

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
JA is referring to the deviation from the target.
1. The Beolabs have been equalised to an undefined target curve at the factory and, separately, room correction for my room has been applied (shown in Figs. 1,2).
2. With the MLs, he is measuring the performance of the speaker in the room.
3. Since neither JA nor I know the exact target curve, how can he (or anyone) compare it to what he measures?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Just got me a 'zinio' on line subscription to Stereophile ridiculously inexpensive ,I advise everyone to subscribe, Kalman really enjoyed the Beolab review, my wife didn't like the Omani mode at all she found it disorientating , narrow beam for me , I may have to get a pair or wait for Bruno to design a larger brother for his Kii THREE.
Keith

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Just got me a 'zinio' on line subscription to Stereophile ridiculously inexpensive ,I advise everyone to subscribe, Kalman really enjoyed the Beolab review, my wife didn't like the Omani mode at all she found it disorientating , narrow beam for me , I may have to get a pair or wait for Bruno to design a larger brother for his Kii THREE.
Keith
Mebbe she'd prefer the Armani mode? BTW, no one likes the omni mode until after the 3rd drink.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
There won't be either Omani or Armani for some considerable time if I buy a pair of 90's.
Keith

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Hey, that sounds just like the Bose 901's. LOL

I thought exactly the same thing.

901_reinst_2.jpg

vs

Bose 901 goes for about ~$500 on eBay.

Combine it with a miniDSP + Nord nCore amps + pair of JL Audio Fathom ($7,000 each) for a total cost of ~$17,000. You'll be able to spray the room with sound and have serious thump for 'party mode'.

Save $63,000.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I thought the Beolab 90 price was like $80,000?

Now only $84,990 as listed in the article.

However, I was referring to the Martin Logan ESL 15A listed at only $24,995.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The Beolabs and Kii THREES make everything else irrelevant , it must concern the traditional manufacturers who are left box stuffing.
I don't suppose they would release a speaker like the Kiis even if they had the skills to make it, it would make the rest of their range completely redundant.
Keith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The Beolabs and Kii THREES make everything else irrelevant
Keith,
Do you have any idea how many times I've heard that over my last 50 years in Hi Fi?
PLEASE, don't be silly.

Top Bottom