• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kal's Beolab review is out!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I do.

The ESL got top billing, though...

120516-4001-600.jpg

I'd run right out an buy a pair if:

1: They weren't listed at $25,000

2: Mine weren't just as good.

Last edited:
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The worst and best measuring loudspeakers in one issue!
Keith

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have also found that DRC flattens bass response. Looking forward to reading both reviews.
Keith

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Personally, I'm jealous of Jon Iverson's room where the listening tests were performed.

These are his Prodigy's.

attachment.php

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Also Even if the ML's don't measure too well they are much more versatile, you can't possibly use a Beolab as a fly screen or badmington racquet.
Keith

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Even if the ML's don't measure too well

But by one account, they did measure well.

"Flattest spatially averaged in-room response I have measured in 27 years of performing this test."

Says so right in the magazine article. I saw it. I looked again. It's still there. Wasn't me saying it. Looked again, still there.

Maybe "flat" doesn't mean anything to you. Does to me, since that is what I target here. Let the recording do its thing. The speaker shouldn't editorialize on that content. That's my thought.

fas42

Major Contributor
Personally, I'm jealous of Jon Iverson's room where the listening tests were performed.

These are his Prodigy's.

attachment.php
Hey! That looks a hell of a lot like what we see each day (we live in the Blue Mountains, in NSW, in a small township)

Last edited by a moderator:

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
What's on the front lol

Curious. Did you actually look at Atkinson's measurements supplied by Ray? If so, how do you conclude that the Beolab measures better? I do not have the full reviews or even all the measurements yet, and I trust Kal's high assessment of the Beolab. But, I am not seeing any basis for derision of the ML if one actually looks at the measurements.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Too bad. I've heard both.

You're special.

I'm not.

And I haven't "put down" the Beolab. I can only assume it sounds "good" from the design criteria and their apparently detailed execution of the ideas.

But I'm willing to defend the ML for what they are, in my 20 years listening to them. In fact, I'm listening to them right now.

Did you ship the 90's back to their owners or to the next reviewer yet?

PS: I prefer your articles to Herb Reichert's, if that's any kind of a compliment.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
You're special.

I'm not.

And I haven't "put down" the Beolab. I can only assume it sounds "good" from the design criteria and their apparently detailed execution of the ideas.

But I'm willing to defend the ML for what they are, in my 20 years listening to them. In fact, I'm listening to them right now.

Did you ship the 90's back to their owners or to the next reviewer yet?

PS: I prefer your articles to Herb Reichert's, if that's any kind of a compliment.
I know plenty who think the beolab is full of crap amp modules and ordinary drivers and sounds very advarage so...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I know plenty who think the beolab is full of crap amp modules and ordinary drivers and sounds very advarage so...
I thought spraying sound all around the room like the biolabs went out with the Bose 901's ? :D

Keith_W

Major Contributor

Well, i'm not one of them :) I have heard the Beolab, and I was very impressed. My only criticism is that they are tonally a little bit lean. What impressed me the most was the really wide sweet spot. In their "party mode" (or whatever they call it), it sounded great from anywhere in the very large listening room they were demonstrating it in. You give up on imaging in that mode, but you gain it back when you switch modes again.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Well, i'm not one of them :) I have heard the Beolab, and I was very impressed. My only criticism is that they are tonally a little bit lean. What impressed me the most was the really wide sweet spot. In their "party mode" (or whatever they call it), it sounded great from anywhere in the very large listening room they were demonstrating it in. You give up on imaging in that mode, but you gain it back when you switch modes again.
Hey, that sounds just like the Bose 901's. LOL

Top Bottom