• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali WS-12 subwoofer details now at B&H Photo

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Very Interesting. Glad they put a grill on this one. ;)

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
How nice of them to add side handles! Apart from the, per usual, tiny back switches, looks promising.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting specs. Would love to see a full measurement graph. That max SPL seems very high for a 12" ported sub(especially at this price), but it also seems like they're stating a much higher max SPL than you would ever want to use in practice, because -10db at 23hz isn't good.

McFly

Nice looking sub, but yeah it's a 12", so 123db SPL will only be at like 60-80hz?

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
hmm...just bought a second JBL 10" which are now half the price of this one, though no question the Kali will go louder and a bit deeper.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I don’t expect this to be an “audiophile” grade sub. Except for some movies, most music really doesn’t have that much content down there. I’ll be waiting for reviews though on how it handles musical content.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
As with speakers, scant subwoofer specs should no longer be acceptable in the marketplace.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice. 12" sealed, 500W RMS for $599.
SVS SB2000 Pro has an app to control the EQ and 550W RMS but is sold at a considerably higher $899.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I don’t expect this to be an “audiophile” grade sub. Except for some movies, most music really doesn’t have that much content down there. I’ll be waiting for reviews though on how it handles musical content.
Below 100Hz? Below 60Hz? 40Hz? I haven't encountered music that didn't benefit from a good sub.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice. 12" sealed, 500W RMS for $599.
SVS SB2000 Pro has an app to control the EQ and 550W RMS but is sold at a considerably higher $899.

Is it sealed? I didn't read all of the marketing prose closely, but the front of the unit has what looks like what might be ports:

kali-sub.jpg

It's frequency response is listed at 30Hz - 160 Hz +/-3db, so OK, assuming that's accurate. Amplifier wattage doesn't really tell us anything since SPL performance is impacted by the impedance and sensitivity of the driver. So maybe it's a good value for a studio sub. Difficult to say without seeing the anechoic response. Could be it's a peaky midbass sub.

And that surprises me that Kali would not provide a measurement chart if it does indeed perform well. Maybe they'll post one later.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it sealed? I didn't read all of the marketing prose closely, but the front of the unit has what looks like what might be ports:

View attachment 48614

It's frequency response is listed at 30Hz - 160 Hz +/-3db, so OK, assuming that's accurate. Amplifier wattage doesn't really tell us anything since SPL performance is impacted by the impedance and sensitivity of the driver. So maybe it's a good value for a studio sub. Difficult to say without seeing the anechoic response. Could be it's a peaky midbass sub.

And that surprises me that Kali would not provide a measurement chart if it does indeed perform well. Maybe they'll post one later.
You are right. Looks like 2 front ports on the corners. Thanks.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor

View attachment 48614

I think we've learned they'll publish the third party test results when they come back from the lab.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I think we've learned they'll publish the third party test results when they come back from the lab.
It would be incredible if they did, along with a description of the measurement technique.

Top Bottom