• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali MM-6

warpdrive

Would be perfect if they had a way to power ON/OFF with the remote.
Either that or have some kind of auto-sensing input so that it turns ON with a signal and OFF after a non signal timeout

They don't provide the idle power draw if you were to leave it on all the time?

MachOne

Would be perfect if they had a way to power ON/OFF with the remote.
Either that or have some kind of auto-sensing input so that it turns ON with a signal and OFF after a non signal timeout

They don't provide the idle power draw if you were to leave it on all the time?

Yes it's strange that it's not mentioned in the manual. Not many home users are going to want to get up and turn them on and off at the rear switch each time they are used, so it should have at least been mentioned in the manual that there is a sleep function.

Mario Sanchez

My five cents:
MM-6 is a multimedia-enabled monitor (based on LP-6 I assume), given the outstanding track record of LP-6, it'll probably be pretty competitive at the price point and market segment.
IN-UNF looks to be beefed up 2.1-esque (XO is rated at 280Hz, so not exactly a 2.0+subwoofer, but the bass driver does have a separate enclosure, so it is similar in principle) system, I am a bit worried about localization given the higher crossover frequency... and its price, which isn't too far from the IN-5, I understand that sometimes one could use the extra space savings, but I think the UNF is shaping up to be a niche product. It's priced quite a bit taller than the typical "speakers tucked under the monitor", and there are better options around the same price if one just wants a pair of studio monitors. That's all just speculation though, and I may well be wrong.

bc brandon

Yes it's strange that it's not mentioned in the manual. Not many home users are going to want to get up and turn them on and off at the rear switch each time they are used, so it should have at least been mentioned in the manual that there is a sleep function.
is there a sleep function? their LP-6 V2 didn't have one and i see no mention on this product page

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Well they do have a power switch.

Edit: sorry you mentioned this yourself.

My ADM9.1's are functionally similar to these. They're never on 24/7. Maybe we're a minority but me and my family do use the power switches at the back. Granted, auto-sleep would make them even greener. But when we go to bed we turn out the lights and switch off the speakers.

Last edited:

warpdrive

I guess you can have them on a voice smart switch or master-slave eco-power bar. It would be a pain to have to flip the switches in the back every time on two speakers.

MachOne

I like what Kali are doing in general but I think they missed an important basic usability feature with the power if this is marketed toward the average home user.

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
I think you guys are on to something about the lack of a power switch on the front for desktop use, but then I realized that I never turn my current powered desktop speakers off...maybe it's just me.

warpdrive

I think you guys are on to something about the lack of a power switch on the front for desktop use, but then I realized that I never turn my current powered desktop speakers off...maybe it's just me.

well, you could do that. My Dynaudio active speakers pulled about 11W idling, so that means the pair is draining 22W doing nothing. For my desktop use, I put a power bar underneath my desk and used my foot to flick the power switch. Reaching behind them was too much hassle

peanuts2

eh, manual shows both speakers having all the inputs. why would you need that when the xlr carries the signal from the primary?

asdf.JPG

ocinn

I guess you can have them on a voice smart switch or master-slave eco-power bar. It would be a pain to have to flip the switches in the back every time on two speakers.
I one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072F9DGRL/

to switch my entire desktop system on and off since its all studio gear with no accessible switches or remotes. Works flawlessly and is much more convenient than having to reach around, or flick a power strip on and off. I have the remote velro-d to my monitor stand.

warpdrive

I one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072F9DGRL/

to switch my entire desktop system on and off since its all studio gear with no accessible switches or remotes. Works flawlessly and is much more convenient than having to reach around, or flick a power strip on and off. I have the remote velro-d to my monitor stand.

that's not bad.

I have an old Belkin power strip that is like that. It's discontinued but I'm sure there are other things like it.

Still I'd rather speakers have an auto-on/off if I were to use them in a general setting. I bought a Topping MX5 amp to power my passive speakers and they have input sensing. Sound comes out as soon as my PC powers on.

ceausuc

> The included remote control works on the digital inputs,

does it mean that it doesn't work on analog inputs?
a good idea from Kali to release these speakers.

3125b

Major Contributor
I see they retained the three-pronged mains socket. Did they change the power supply or is it still IEC Class I and you just get a ground-loop?
I see no mention of that in the manual ... they should really touch on that.

Last edited:

bsdinis

Where can the MM-6 be bought in Europe? I've been waiting for months to find these speakers for sale.

Top Bottom