• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali LP6 v2 speaker cone rattling/vibrating noise after low end notes (with sound example). Normal monitor behaviour?

suzook

I suspect you're exceeding what woofers this size can do. If you had a 6.5" woofer bass amp, would you expect it to be able to make the sounds you're expecting? My bass practice amp definitely can't. Maybe if you need that kind of bass fidelity, you should look into getting subwoofers.
You couldn't be any more wrong. Its a defect.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It' not THAT unusual that you could overdrive a woofer with low bass. 35-70Hz isn't THAT low but they are rather-small woofers.

They might go loud at the mid & high range but you're not going to get "realistic" bass that you can feel in your body.

And typically with active speakers, the bass is EQ'd/boosted to extend-flatten the frequency response downward and that makes it easier to overdrive.

Then, the really-deep and subsonic bass is probably rolled-off so you don't rattle the woofers with bass that the speaker can't reproduce and/or bass that you can't hear. At very-low frequencies a ported woofer moves freely so it can more-easily move beyond it's physical limits compared to a sealed speaker where it has to compress (and decompress) an "air spring"

You couldn't be any more wrong. Its a defect.
Since it's the same in both speakers, that would PROBABLY be a design-defect and you probably need different speakers. (But the manufacturer would probably consider it a "characteristic" or "limitation" rather than a defect.)

Last edited:

suzook

It' not THAT unusual that you could overdrive a woofer with low bass. 35-70Hz isn't THAT low but they are rather-small woofers.

They might go loud at the mid & high range but you're not going to get "realistic" bass that you can feel in your body.

And typically with active speakers, the bass is EQ'd/boosted to extend-flatten the frequency response downward and that makes it easier to overdrive.

Then, the really-deep and subsonic bass is probably rolled-off so you don't rattle the woofers with bass that the speaker can't reproduce and/or bass that you can't hear. At very-low frequencies a ported woofer moves freely so it can more-easily move beyond it's physical limits compared to a sealed speaker where it has to compress (and decompress) an "air spring"
The issue isn't that they cant handle the frequency, its when the frequency changes. Its definitely a defect, whether it be the woofer, or ampm/xover. The same test on a pair of 3inch drivers doesn't have the distortion issue.

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
The issue isn't that they cant handle the frequency, its when the frequency changes. Its definitely a defect, whether it be the woofer, or ampm/xover. The same test on a pair of 3inch drivers doesn't have the distortion issue.
It could be a limiter issue.

But did you level match the 3 inch driver?...

suzook

It could be a limiter issue.

But did you level match the 3 inch driver?...
Yes. Whatever it is, it completely ruins the speaker. I'm returning them today. Not sure what to buy next. I really like how nice the sterling mx5 sounded, but the transformer hum was a bit annoying.

suzook

Exactly. Same here. When you do the jumps.
BTW, I believe we have early models, that have issues with the amps. Mine were made 10/23/2021, I bet yours are early units too. WTF would kali not recall these? This in my book just lost me as a customer forever.

OP
S

Slyman

Read the comments. Apparently Kali has issues.
Global problem it seems.

Damn wish i read before buying but atleast they are fixing it. They are otherwise brilliant monitors.

suzook

Global problem it seems.

Damn wish i read before buying but atleast they are fixing it. They are otherwise brilliant monitors.
Brilliant, yet shit...LOL. Im wondering if its worth seeing if Kali will fix it, or I should just move on.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
or I should just move on.
I'd move-on.

I can't recommend anything. I'm a JBL fan from the old days but I've not heard the "new small" monitors. Personally, I'd look into the JBL 308P because I consider an 8-inch woofer to be the minimum size for a woofer... and barely a "woofer". :p Of course with a subwoofer it's not so critical. The JBL seems to be slightly more expensive than the Kali.

suzook

I'd move-on.

I can't recommend anything. I'm a JBL fan from the old days but I've not heard the "new small" monitors. Personally, I'd look into the JBL 308P because I consider an 8-inch woofer to be the minimum size for a woofer... and barely a "woofer". :p Of course with a subwoofer it's not so critical. The JBL seems to be slightly more expensive than the Kali.
I'm not looking for killer bass. I'm looking for normal bass that shouldn't distort. Its an issue at low volumes too.

MachOne

My V1 LP6 don't seem to have this issue. Testing at levels that are way higher than I would monitor at. Can you post a video of the woofer while you are doing this so we can see how much excursion there is?

suzook

My V1 LP6 don't seem to have this issue. Testing at levels that are way higher than I would monitor at. Can you post a video of the woofer while you are doing this so we can see how much excursion there is?
It's an issue with the early production v2. It happens at normal volume, with barely any woofer excursion.

suzook

Does this mean that the newer production v2 does not have this problem?
I have heard kali has a fw update for the amp that corrects it. I really don't know. I'm shocked this issue isn't all over this place being talked about.

MachOne

I have heard kali has a fw update for the amp that corrects it. I really don't know. I'm shocked this issue isn't all over this place being talked about.
Hopefully Kali will reply to your email soon - maybe the holidays have slowed things down.

suzook

chill brah its holiday season
3 days with not even an email back. Sure its the holiday, but a simple email back stating the whole company is off would suffice. Im probably just goin to return them tomorrow. I'm really shocked that are not alot more complaints about this issue. Its very noticeable.

MachOne

3 days with not even an email back. Sure its the holiday, but a simple email back stating the whole company is off would suffice. Im probably just goin to return them tomorrow. I'm really shocked that are not alot more complaints about this issue. Its very noticeable.
I guess it could be a really small batch that had the issue. But I reckon just return them if you can and move on to something you are happy with owning.

Top Bottom