• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali LP-6 v2 or Elac DBR62 for Home Theater?

OP
N

Niels Franck

I agree vertical is also messy but again to be expected with this type of design. I see what you are seeing but I don't see that as any major errors below 15khz out to 50-60 degrees. It still follows a similar contour with what I call minor changes in contour. When looking at the contour graph I don't just look at the red section which looks "narrow". I look at how the contour changes as its db decreases. On the the contour the orange section which is down 3-6db and the yellown section down 6-9db is to be expected after about 500hz-1khz. and greater. I look for any big changes in the contour or start getting major dips in the off axis graph. I see some minor changes in the contour but nothing that makes me say, "wow that is really poor".

Compare that to the Rokit or the Ascend acoustics from that same website and those start having problems at much lesser angles. I think we are being a little academic on what we call wide dispersion or how I was taught and assess speakers. I would say the Kali are very good at ~ +/- 50-60 degrees which is where they are about 10db down and contour differences become greater. This is still very good compared to many speakers but something like the Elac I would rank excellent at >75 degrees. I wouldn't call the Kali narrow dispersion. There are a a couple factors when I look at something off axis. One does it follow a similar contour and two how much does it decrease in db. For instance something like the discontinued Genelec 8260 had one of the best horizontal off axis I have seen, even better than the current "ones". It not only followed a close contour but was down less than 5db at 60 degrees, truly outstanding! Most are closer or greater than 10db at 60 degrees and that is still considered very good as long as the contour or response graph still show a similar shape.

Nice website by the way, I will have to save that one. Thanks for posting that.
I do recommend Kali LP 6 V2's regularly and think they are great speakers especially for the price. DBR62's where one of the last presents from truly great designer (Andrew Jones) who whose there from golden age boom in 70's and I hope they will go into history as truly great and affordable.
Regarding site I still have some faith in scientific institutions.
Best regards and have a nice time.

Well, seems like you guys have gone waaaaay past what I'm capable of understanding haha. Haven't had the time to read your conversation in detail, but from what I did understand: The difference is sound quality is marginal between the 2 seems to be mariginal only does the Elac had a (slightly?) beter dispersion, which is beneficial in my situation. Also, I like having more flexibility when it comes to connectivity. So I think I'm going for the DBR62. They may not sound as good als the Kali's with my old Kenwood amplifier. But improving my setup as times pases by is a part of the fun for me. :)

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
The DBR62 are currently 323€/pair at Hidden Audio after rebate. That is a good price, although they were around 285€ there a couple months ago.
If you decide to buy them, now is probably a good time.

OP
N

Niels Franck

The DBR62 are currently 323€/pair at Hidden Audio after rebate. That is a good price, although they were around 285€ there a couple months ago.
If you decide to buy them, now is probably a good time.

Wait what? If I go to Hidden audio they are €394/pair with the 20% coupon applied (€ 429,30 with shipping to Belguim). Where did you find something about a rebate? The cheapest I found them so far was €484/pair lol.

OP
N

Niels Franck

Still dont get how you can buy that at €323 a pair haha

EDIT: €429 is already with shipping added of course

1678570352832.png

1678570433786.png

3125b

Major Contributor
Okay that's weird, I think they are cheaper in black though.

3125b

Major Contributor
1678570836801.png

That is what the total comes to for me.
I didn't buy them last time they were on sale, maybe I'll have to this time ...
If you end up disliking them you can probably sell them without much if any loss.

For anyone coming back to this thread later, the European Master Deals Thread is worth a look:
And the one for the US:

Last edited:
OP
N

Niels Franck

View attachment 271023
That is what the total comes to for me.
I didn't buy them last time they were on sale, maybe I'll have to this time ...
If you end up disliking them you can probably sell them without much if any loss.
Okay, thats the same as I have, plus shipping of course. Thanks for you help, you just saved me €140 :D

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
You can use AVR or separate DSP processor or PC. I don't think you rely need Dirac but it's a option anyway. Depends how much flexibility you really need/want. Do you intend to stay on stereo with two sub's and such.

regan

The Kali are the best deal out there -- good speakers with amplifiers for a very reasonable price.
I'd also add Adam T7V to the bargain speakers list. Similar price to lp6v2 and maybe somewhat better sounding

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Do we know that graph is at 86 dB/1m? Without that info, comparing it to those for the Kali isn't possible.
Well measurement whose done @ 86 dB (only) so drove the conclusion.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well measurement whose done @ 86 dB (only) so drove the conclusion.

If you take a look at several of the other speakers that @amirm reviewed at that time and measured distortion then presented in that format, the graph included a trace for the fundamental signal at the top, and those were often done at 96 dB--even though that was not included in any title or label.

1678575539020.png

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
If you take a look at several of the other speakers that @amirm reviewed at that time and measured distortion then presented in that format, the graph included a trace for the fundamental signal at the top, and those were often done at 96 dB.
If he did measurements at 96 dB I assume that would be the case.
Why are we debating this in the first place? They introduce little distortion even when pushed very hard.
Debate it with the host.

Top Bottom