• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali LP-6 Review: Studio Monitor

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whether it is possible to Rick Roll an active speaker is left as an exercise for the reader. One day it might be.

I'm sure the D&D 8C is. It's got a web server hanging out in open for anyone to try their luck on.

You don't get amplifiers with the 530s which the Kali has.

The flip side to this is that the 530s come with AVR compatibility, where as these don’t. It kinda depends on the use case I suppose(living room vs studio). For budget home use, amplifiers are usually cheaper than pre-outs :(.

Given the miracles of mass production amps in AVRs are basically "free" for a large number of people already.

Given the quality of the internal chip amps, the $30-50 desktop style chip amp integrateds are a better comparison than a Hypex or Purefi (or even a Crown or Behringer) if you did need an amp.

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
An AVR is out of the question on the desktop anyway due to size.

there is pioneer VSX S510 or follower. it is only 8 cm height. i have put my 32 zoll monitor on this. work good.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not with a DAC with volume control as I use on my desktop. An AVR is out of the question on the desktop anyway due to size.

Indeed, and that’s why I made a distinction between studio vs living room use. I use a similar setup in my office, where actives are easy to hook up and the built in amps are appreciated.

In a budget living room setup, though, built in amps are a negative, as the connections to the amps are more expensive than the amps themselves(which are free, since they come in budget AVRs). If I were helping a friend to build a budget system for music, movies, games, tv, I would tell them to add a $600 active "tax"(ie compare $300 actives against $900 passives) when comparing active speakers to passive speakers, as that's similar to the price difference between a bottom tier AVR and an AVR with pre-outs(like the Denon X4400H).

flyzipper

I have a pair of LP-6's on my desk and enjoy them quite a lot.
Their internal amps are more than capable of driving them to beyond my typical listening levels.

0dB on their gain dial and I can't hear hiss at normal listening distance (36in or so) and ambient room noise.
(can hear hiss between 0-18inches, but I'm never this close to them so it's a non-issue for me)

More Dynamics Please

By Kali specs the LP-6 should be capable of reaching THX reference level (85 dB continuously, with 20 dB of dynamic headroom) at a maximum listening distance of 2.2 m (7.2 ft) and the LP-8 2.8 m (9.2 ft), so for reference home theater use they would be limited to small setups.

Ericglo

Indeed, and that’s why I made a distinction between studio vs living room use. I use a similar setup in my office, where actives are easy to hook up and the built in amps are appreciated.

In a budget living room setup, though, built in amps are a negative, as the connections to the amps are more expensive than the amps themselves(which are free, since they come in budget AVRs). If I were helping a friend to build a budget system for music, movies, games, tv, I would tell them to add a $600 active "tax"(ie compare $300 actives against $900 passives) when comparing active speakers to passive speakers, as that's similar to the price difference between a bottom tier AVR and an AVR with pre-outs(like the Denon X4400H).

I have never understood why a company can't make an inexpensive preamp for home theater use. It seems like that would be an easy niche to fill for a Chinese company on Alibaba.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I have never understood why a company can't make an inexpensive preamp for home theater use. It seems like that would be an easy niche to fill for a Chinese company on Alibaba.
Licensing.

Licensing.png

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You're not wrong, but I always strongly advise friends to beg/buy/steal something at LEAST 3000-series or up. Even used. Because Audyssey XT32 is the lowest level of room correction that "actually does anything useful" and the bass in most peoples living rooms is a complete disaster without decent room correction. And those always have pre-outs.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're not wrong, but I always strongly advise friends to beg/buy/steal something at LEAST 3000-series or up. Even used. Because Audyssey XT32 is the lowest level of room correction that "actually does anything useful" and the bass in most peoples living rooms is a complete disaster without decent room correction. And those always have pre-outs.
I completely agree, but it’s really tough to convince non audio folks who think $500+ is a lot to pay for complete surround sound setup, much less just the avr :(. Never tried the budget Audyssey system, but I know the YPAO correction in budget Yamaha AVRs is awful.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I realize licensing is an issue, but an inexpensive pre-amp doesn't have to have every feature you listed.
HDMI licensing is $5-10K/year. I think Dolby and DTS technologies are more expensive to license, and my understanding is that in those cases a company has to apply and be approved, and if that happens they are subject to custom pricing arrangements.

Emotiva went down this path recently and their cheapest AVR without Dolby Atmos or DTS:X retails for $699. Otherwise their AVRs with those features are way up in the $3-5K range. I recall someone saying in another thread that in hindsight it was not looking like a good financial decision for the brand.

Another option would be to get an audio interface with as many analog pre-outs as you need and use a computer for software surround decoding and down/upmixing if necessary.

YSC

Major Contributor
Off track a bit, any update on Infinity Reference 253 measurement? I am interested to see if it was the measurement system at fault to the wild measurement of that unit

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Off track a bit, any update on Infinity Reference 253 measurement?
I finished the measurements. Need to format and then post them. Shooting for tonight but may not happen until tomorrow.

Francis Vaughan

Forum Donor
Another option would be to get an audio interface with as many analog pre-outs as you need and use a computer for software surround decoding and down/upmixing if necessary.
If only. There is little chance of getting hold of the needed software is a useful manner. In principle you can license the Dolby creator suite for about $1000, and that includes an Atmos decoder. DTS is closer to $5000. Both are plugins to mixing software. However you still won't be able to get access to any protected content over HDMI.
The cartel of Dolby, DTS, Audessy, Dirac, AVR manufactures, and with support of the studios, conspires to ensure that you have to pay for a new AVR. The major brand AVR manufacturers absolutely don't want anyone to make the device everyone wants. Which is a simple decoder for all the formats. They want you to pay time and time again for all the software licences, and to be forced to replace an otherwise perfectly good AVR with new hardware.

YSC

Major Contributor
HT
I finished the measurements. Need to format and then post them. Shooting for tonight but may not happen until tomorrow.
Really thanks for the effort. can't wait to see how much it will improve (or not)

mga2009

Agree with you.

It just "need" to be an HDMI Audio extractor + HDMI Matrix, with 8 channels and high quality DAC's, and maybe integrated DSP for room correction. OK, you lose Dolby and DTS and ATMOS, but, at least you can do some processing in the source (ie. Jriver, Playstation, XBOX, bluray drive, etc.).

Again... the MiniDSP Nano AVR HDA was some sort of this (there was also a version with Dirac Live!) ... but now is discontinued with no replacement in sight.

PD: With a properly designed board you could even make a version with more than 8 channels for active crossover where it matters.

YSC

Major Contributor
Agree with you.

It just "need" to be an HDMI Audio extractor + HDMI Matrix, with 8 channels and high quality DAC's, and maybe integrated DSP for room correction. OK, you lose Dolby and DTS and ATMOS, but, at least you can do some processing in the source (ie. Jriver, Playstation, XBOX, bluray drive, etc.).

Again... the MiniDSP Nano AVR HDA was some sort of this (there was also a version with Dirac Live!) ... but now is discontinued with no replacement in sight.

PD: With a properly designed board you could even make a version with more than 8 channels for active crossover where it matters.
I do feel it also depends on living room size, here in Asia where our living room is likely = or smaller to the bedroom size in USA, a great stereo system makes it better than trying to do a 8 channel surround sound.

mga2009

I do feel it also depends on living room size, here in Asia where our living room is likely = or smaller to the bedroom size in USA, a great stereo system makes it better than trying to do a 8 channel surround sound.

For stereo you have TONS of alternatives, from cheap DACs to network players, AIO speakers, anything... for surround sound you have an AVR/processor, which reviews have shown they do not have the best performance, a pro audio interface (which has its own quirks, specially if your source it's not exclusively PC based) and a sound bar which I wont even comment about.... now... the OktoDAC8 is a good alternative, but still you are "limited" to USB input (yes, I know USB is better audio interface than HDMI)... so basically you are limited to AVR or processor...

I would guess a person with enough knowledge could design a board with a HDMI audio extractor (4K@60hz and HDR compatible and limited to LPCM to avoid licensing) that feeds one or two DSP chip (adau 1452 is cheap enough) thru I2S and after that a good quality DAC, not uber expensive... just good (even the DAC's on the ADAU 1452 are good enough)... there you have it... an HDMI 4K processor of sorts with robust DSP capabilities (SigmaSutdio is not perfect, but it's a powerful tool that is in constant development and with a ton of support on their forums).

Want to EQ your speakers/room? Check! Use mic+REW+Sigmastudio
Want FIR filters? Check! Use RePhase+Sigmastudio
Want to add a LAN interface to modify the SS schemes on the fly? Check, it can be done with the ADAU 1452.
Want to add a more powerful amp? Check!
Want to add balanced output? Check! In can be implemented in the outputs.

Is there a big market for this? IDK. I would be interested if the price is right and the performance is good.

Last edited:

Rockfella

Forum Donor
That's a relief! Happy LP6 owner here. Thanks @amirm

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
This was a long anticipated review, thanks!

This model is in direct competition with JBL 306P MKII.
Both have 6.5" woofer, both US$150/ea right now (excluding last years JBL pricing of US100/ea), while Kali LP-6 is never on sale.
JBL 306P MKII has dual 56w amps, while Kali LP-6 has dual 40w amps.
JBL 306P MKII claims 110dB (max peak SPL), while Kali LP-6 claims 112dB (max SPL).

I love the fact that we have some good competition in the *budget category* now.

I wonder why Kali didn't make a 5" model? :rolleyes:

It doesn't make market sense to make an LP-5. To get the performance we'd want, it'd need to be nearly as expensive to make as an LP-6, which means that the retail price wouldn't be appreciably lower. I don't think too many people are going to buy an LP-5 for $145 if they can get an LP-6 for $4 more.

That doesn't rule out *other* 5-inch speakers from Kali, however. ;)

Top Bottom