• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali LP-6/LP-8 V2 (2nd Wave) studio monitors released

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
I very much prefer my monitors without an auto off function. I'm one of the quiet mixers. I really reference things at every volume but often I get a better picture when things are quiet. A previously owned pair of focal's had a poorly set threshold, I would have to crank the volume on my interface then turn it down quickly. Having them turn off on you when you're listening or working at low volumes is more than annoying.
You are THE PERSON we're looking out for here.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My setup(5.1.4) would be pretty annoying to deal with if not for auto on/off. But I also feel @KaliAudio_Official on how it's hard to get right. Even at their much higher price point, the Neumann KH-80 auto-on is not bulletproof, sometimes it just leaves speakers on.

Genelec, on the other hand, seems to have perfected theirs. I imagine that was quite some work. It does also have an adjustable threshold on the higher end models. Not that it is completely fair to compare given the price points :)

Pio2001

A big problem with the auto-turn-off of the JBL 305P mkii (I don't know if this is the case with other speakers) is that everytime a track begins after a moment of silence, the first second of music is missing.
Everytime I want to listen to something, I have to start the playback twice if I want to hear it entirely.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My setup(5.1.4) would be pretty annoying to deal with if not for auto on/off.
Personally don't see a big problem even for such setups in times where remote controlled switchable AC socket adaptors cost just few dollars.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally don't see a big problem even for such setups in times where remote controlled switchable AC socket adaptors cost just few dollars.

That adds another action you have to take. Yeah, there are solutions, like 12v triggers and maybe there's some wireless 12v trigger product out there, considering I have my speakers plugged into 4 separate outlets to reduce cable nonsense, it's a lot easier to just not have to care about any of this because the problem is solved to start with.

A big problem with the auto-turn-off of the JBL 305P mkii (I don't know if this is the case with other speakers) is that everytime a track begins after a moment of silence, the first second of music is missing.

Sounds like they have a 20 min timer. That's a bit on the short side. I prefer 60 minutes. Genelec default is 45-60 minutes. The idea is just to have the monitors off overnight, etc, it's not important to have them off when you walk away for a bit.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That adds another action you have to take.
Sure, but its one click when starting listening and another one after the end of the listening session, just a tiny remote control (possibly you can implement or even automate it in the programmable one you use for source and volume too) and a couple of seconds. :)

Filio45

I'd appreciate a proper working auto-off function as well. I won't pretend to know how they are designed, but I do know that I've owned many powered subwoofers over the years and the function worked perfect on every single one of them regardless of volume level I listened at.
Yes, my previous SVS 12 NSD had a perfectly-working auto standby, just came on and went off exactly as it should have. I left it enabled permanently.

I very much prefer my monitors without an auto off function. I'm one of the quiet mixers. I really reference things at every volume but often I get a better picture when things are quiet. A previously owned pair of focal's had a poorly set threshold, I would have to crank the volume on my interface then turn it down quickly. Having them turn off on you when you're listening or working at low volumes is more than annoying.
Despite the latest EVO models having an improved auto standby over the previous Alphas, mine, set to 0dB sensitivity, turn off as high as -35dBu on a Topping E50, especially with spoken word rather than bassy music. Yet, Focal states 6mV (-42dBu?), which in any case is still too loud for my tastes at night. I also have to crank them up briefly to get them to turn on again, which is obtrusive at night. It's a disappointing implementation of an otherwise subjectively excellent monitor and I have disabled it. Maybe Focal and Kali should liaise with SVS for help? :)

That said, with class D amps and smps, they consume so little, it is barely needed. Measuring one Focal Alpha Evo 65 with watt meter = idle at 4W, increasing to 5W when playing quite loud. I have no issue with leaving them on all day and just turning off before bed. I suppose the Kali LP-6 are similar and the IN models will be about 6 watts idle?

IMO, an auto standby is more helpful with more powerful amps and speakers, especially those with class AB amplification that idle at 20-30 watts or higher, such as my JBL 6328P's (24w each). Yet it's those very monitors, often older designs, that are less like to have an auto-standby option.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How much money would auto off features really save over a month?
I doubt it is much in times of class D amps but guess people worry more about faster "wear" of the electronics, hiss and possibly unexpected noises of the devices if they are not switched off.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How much money would auto off features really save over a month?

Well, a Neumann KH80 idles at 8-9W when on, <330mW when standby. For a Genelec 8351B it's 16W and <1W. So depends how many speakers you have. If you have a multi-channel system, 10-16W per speaker adds up to 100-150W pretty quickly! At 100W, around here that would be 2.4kWh per day at ~$0.12/kWh or $8.64/mo. That's not much but it's $100/year I'd rather have to buy more audio crap :p

And yeah, there is some minor wear and tear probably. They are a bit warm to the touch when not in standby.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Comparison of LP-6v2 and LP-8v2:
LP-6v2:
Bass extension: 39Hz at -6dB
Preference Score is 5.9 and would be 7.7 with a perfect subwoofer.

LP-8v2:
Bass extension: 35Hz at -6dB
Preference Score is 5.1 and would be 6.8 with a perfect subwoofer.
on axis.gif

horizontal.gif

vertical.gif

86db.gif

96db.gif

linearity.gif

Slyman

So i guess for nearfield mixing/mastering monitors you would go for:

Best budget 5-6,5 inch woofer: LP-6 v2.
Best budget 8 inch woofer: IN-8 v2.

Best budget-mid class: iLoud MTM
Best mid class: Neumann KH80
Best mid+: Genelec 8030c

Honorable mentions: Adam t5v, JBL 30X line.

Coin3

I am looking at getting either the LP-6 v2 or LP-8 v2 to use as TV speakers in my living room. I'm in an apartment so we can't go too loud, but would it still be better to go for the LP-8 for mid-field listening (about 10 ft, or 3 meters)?

adam2434

Perhaps Mr. Sprinkle or others with knowledge could chime in on this…

I curious about how the IN and LP series limiters work with actual musical content playing.

What triggers the limiter? For example, does the limiter kick in when the input signal voltage hits a specific level for a specific time duration?

In the real world playing music, is there a way to know when the limiters kick in when a pair of speakers are playing?

For example, I own a pair of LP-8 V1. Let’s say I’m listening to music at a distance of 12 feet from the pair. I break out the handy dandy Radio Shack SPL meter and see transient peaks at 95 dB or 100 dB (I making those numbers up). Is there a way to determine or estimate the peak dB level at specific distances where the limiters are kicking in? In my mind, this would be a way to say “don’t push these speakers past this peak dB at this distance”.

Since I don’t understand how the limiters work, the above might not make sense at all. :)

Last edited:

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am looking at getting either the LP-6 v2 or LP-8 v2 to use as TV speakers in my living room. I'm in an apartment so we can't go too loud, but would it still be better to go for the LP-8 for mid-field listening (about 10 ft, or 3 meters)?
I have no idea about the volume, but if you don't plan to use a sub, I think the LP-8 will be much more satisfying.

Lilith

Just wonder how the build quality of the LP6 is. I saw on some pictures that the front cover is sometimes skewed or that there are other issues like scratches. If the clearance is quite big I can imagine that this causes cabinet rattling at some frequencies (which will show up in the distortion graph).

Does anyone know if these speakers can be repaired in Germany during warranty?

Top Bottom