• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali LP 2nd Wave series alternative for a 49 m2 meter room

Cifer

Hello everyone,

is there a go-to recommendation like the Kali LPs for filling a medium-sized, 7x7 m room with good sound? I don't know yet what the source will be and whether or not they will have to be active speakers or not, so it would be great if you could give me options for both.

Specific recommendations aside, I'm mostly curious what I have to spend minimum to get something that's not only a great deal, but also objectively good stuff.

Thanks a lot!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe the new Neumann KH150? A lot more expensive though.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A lot depends on whether you prefer actives or passives, standmounts or towers, subs or no subs, loud or quiet listening etc. And within your space is your listening distance closer to something like 3m or 5m?

OP
C

Cifer

The problem is that I'm not buying these speakers for myself. I'm planning to help a relative decide sometime next year who isn't extremely picky about audio, but doesn't want to buy the worst consumer-grade crap either. I understand that my question is hard to answer.

Essentially, I would like to know how much the cheapest set of speakers - very roughly - costs that doesn't have big flaws. At least to my knowledge that's what the Kali LP series is, just way better than their price suggests. How much does it approximately cost to get the same for a 49m2 room, at about 5 meters distance between the listener positioned near one wall and the speakers by the opposing wall? Listening volume will be rather loud, but not so loud it shakes the walls. I think moderately loud to sometimes quiet listening will be enough. The Neumann costs about 3000 for a pair. Is that about what one would have to spend on the speakers to get something with good value, or are there good offers on the lower end as well?

I know that the Kali could theoretically work for smaller rooms as well, but they do require the listener to sit in a fairly precise spot. That is the case for all speakers to a certain degree, as far as I understand, but I thought some were more forgiving than others. Is that true?

I was also considering the Kali but thought that a room of this size would be a little bit too large.

What is the difference between the LP and the IN from Kali, by the way? I'd read some measurements and data, but can't judge if it would be worth spending more on them or if the LP are still the best value.

Thank you!

3125b

Major Contributor
at about 5 meters distance between the listener positioned near one wall and the speakers by the opposing wall?
Then it will require much bigger speakers to get a satisfying listening experience, small near-field monitors really aren't the way to go for that application. I have my setup in a 5x5m room with a listening distance of about 3,5m, using a pair of KEF R5 and one Monolith 12" THX Ultra sub and I wouldn't want to go any smaller there.

One THX Ultra rated sub would suffice in your room as well, two smaller ones might be better in terms of room interaction, but in terms of output that should be the ballpark you are looking at, calculate 600-1000€ for that, depending on your locally available options.
For mains I'd go with tower speakers, you seem to have plenty of space. The bigger volume of the boxes will help with efficiency. I'd really like to hear the Arendal 1723 Tower THX speakers at some point, but you probably don't need something that massive. Maybe something like Polk R700, they were going for 1299€/pair on Black Friday, just look for deals you can get in your country, calculate maybe about 2000€ or so for good speakers.
And then you should get an AVR, I bought a Denon X-2700H, with reasonably efficient speakers something like that will suffice without external amps. Don't spend too little, you want reasonably good room correction (preferably MultEQ XT).

That would be 3000-4000€ for the setup.
If that is way too much you can look for used components ... or buy cheaper new components.

I'd still get tower speakers, the cheapest reasonable options start at around 300€ per pair (Heco Victa 702 318€/pair or something like that), a cheaper sub (Polk HTS12 or Saxx DS 12 for around 300€ or comparable) a cheaper AVR (needs to have room correction and HDMI Arc if you are using it for home cinema, difficult new for under 500€, maybe used). A setup like that would start at 1200€ (with a new AVR), makes a lot more sense than near-field monitors.

Avp1

Hello everyone,

is there a go-to recommendation like the Kali LPs for filling a medium-sized, 7x7 m room with good sound? I don't know yet what the source will be and whether or not they will have to be active speakers or not, so it would be great if you could give me options for both.

Specific recommendations aside, I'm mostly curious what I have to spend minimum to get something that's not only a great deal, but also objectively good stuff.

Thanks a lot!

7x7 is a huge room (for us, Americans - it is more than 500sqf). You need full range speakers and still probably have to add a pair of subs. For speakers look ones with at least 15" woofers. You will likely also need amplifier with 500W/ch or more.

OP
C

Cifer

Thanks a lot, everyone!

Full range speakers to be safe, and you can get something decent for around 3000 to 4000 euros. That's what I wanted to know. I'll make another post at a later date once I have all the knowledge about room measurements and what kind of equipment the person already has.

Top Bottom