• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali IN-UNF - new ultra nearfield speakers

gorb

Forum Donor

Same coax midrange/tweeter as the IN-5 and IN-8. Separate sub module houses the inputs, one of which is usb-c :)

index.php

index.php

index.php
index.php

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
Way to think outside the box. This might be what a number of not so audio-savvy people actually need instead of placing conventinal speakers very poorly where there is no room for them. That does however lead me right to criticism:
The fact that this system is IEC Class I is a big oversight, it would have been more accessible for many people if it were Class II. This will need additional investments (interface) or cheap workarounds (line isolator), either way figuring that out will make people unhappy with additional cost and unwanted noise in the meantime.
Edit: It actually has digital inputs as well. That's good and should solve many potential issues.

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Satellites are passive, oh well... I hope the XO is half-decent. That part would be helping the noise level, of course.

Specs state the LF driver to be a "4.5-Inch High-Excursion Woofer", which appears to be incorrect... the dual 3"s mentioned elsewhere in the manual seem to be fit the images much better, which show drivers a fair bit smaller than the 5.25" sub thickness.

they have only accounted for the bass unit to be on desk. Why not on the floor?
Given the 280 Hz crossover frequency, that would make for a terrible hole in the low midrange. Owners of the old Cambridge Soundworks PC Works 2.1 system and similar will know what I mean. A sub under the desk has to be crossed over much lower in order to avoid desk interference, say 120 Hz max or so.

Given how rare 2.1 systems allowing sub placement on the desk are, this effort is commendable. $599 seems a tad steep, but let's see. Good-quality choices for space-constrained setups aren't that plentiful.

Last edited:

RoA

When I listened to Genelec's (very nice) at MusicMatters/UK they had some Kali's there. More often than not, products look better in the flesh than on pictures, unfortunately they looked awful and I'd be amazed if anyone married or with a partner, no matter how easygoing they may be, would get a pair of these past them into a shared room ... . Strictly for nerds, singles and home studio ownership. Even cheap Adam's look stylish in comparison and that is saying something.

I didn't bother listening to any of them. - Charge a hundred more and have somebody that knows a little about design do something to them!

Last edited:

Digby

Major Contributor
Call me odd, but I can see these speakers playing their part in a horror film. The main character returns home every day to find one of these speakers positioned in unusual places around the house.... in the bathroom cabinet, on the driveway, in the dog's bed...seemingly watching him as he goes about his day.

LearningToSmile

Interesting concept for people with limited desk space. A higher quality version of popular solutions like Klipsch Promedia 2.1? But with a on-desk bass solution instead of traditional subwoofer. Digital inputs are a big plus.
Niche product, but a cool one.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I would have liked a grill to protect the satellite drivers, and maye the ability to thread the bottom of each sphere unto a 3rd party short mic stand if desired.

I can imagine using this on a very tight office space desk.

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
Satellites are passive, oh well... I hope the XO is half-decent. That part would be helping the noise level, of course.

Specs state the LF driver to be a "4.5-Inch High-Excursion Woofer", which appears to be incorrect... the dual 3"s mentioned elsewhere in the manual seem to be fit the images much better, which show drivers a fair bit smaller than the 5.25" sub thickness.

Given the 280 Hz crossover frequency, that would make for a terrible hole in the low midrange. Owners of the old Cambridge Soundworks PC Works 2.1 system and similar will know what I mean. A sub under the desk has to be crossed over much lower in order to avoid desk interference, say 120 Hz max or so.

Given how rare 2.1 systems allowing sub placement on the desk are, this effort is commendable. $599 seems a tad steep, but let's see. Good-quality choices for space-constrained setups aren't that plentiful.
This is Nate. I wrote the manual, and 4.5-inch is correct. I’ll update the manual.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP: Could you put these in your first post? Might get more traction showing photos right away to get people to click through since the URL preview just shows normal Kali speakers. I found these at the bottom of the product page.

The only competitor to these is the pill shaped JBL coaxial speaker for nearfield use on a desk. Those sound... Okay-ish, but are $45. This seems great for a large step up from those with low end extension and being able to point them, though I do wish there was a "dynamic EQ" or volume based EQ so that at low volumes it would match an equal loudness contour and sound more like Sonos speakers where you can still hear the bass at low volumes.

Kali_Audio_IN_UNF_Studio_Monitors_Vertical_Position.jpg

Both+Sides+Now+Reasonable-small.jpg
Kali_Audio_IN_UNF_Gallery_Image_5.jpg
Kali_Audio_IN_UNF_Gallery_Image_7.jpg

Somafunk

Major Contributor
KRK have a new range of mini (portable) monitors out, they come with a 3” woofer/1” tweeter or a 4” woofer/1” tweeter with a measurement mic to calibrate them to whatever room you’re working in, seem like decent wee portable system.

3125b

Major Contributor
KRK have a new range of mini (portable) monitors out
But those are just small speakers in a bag. No sub, not coaxial etc.

OP
gorb

gorb

Forum Donor
OP: Could you put these in your first post? Might get more traction showing photos right away to get people to click through since the URL preview just shows normal Kali speakers. I found these at the bottom of the product page.

The only competitor to these is the pill shaped JBL coaxial speaker for nearfield use on a desk. Those sound... Okay-ish, but are $45. This seems great for a large step up from those with low end extension and being able to point them, though I do wish there was a "dynamic EQ" or volume based EQ so that at low volumes it would match an equal loudness contour and sound more like Sonos speakers where you can still hear the bass at low volumes.
Images added. Thanks!

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
Interesting, I wonder how the bass unit does behind a large monitor or something like that rather than a laptop.
I'm using them like that. And obviously I'm as biased as they come, but I'm REALLY liking it. I honestly prefer to listen to the IN-UNFs than IN-8s. The imaging is quite good.

Top Bottom