• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali IN-8 V2s sound almost low-passed compared to Neumann KH80....

Fingerbib2000

Hi,
I am currently A/B'ing 2 sets of monitors: Kali IN-8 V2 vs Neumann KH80's coupled with a KRK 10s Sub.
In isolation, both systems sound good to my ears but holy moly, when I A/B the 2 sets with the same material the Kalis sound almost like they are low pass filtered compared to the KH80's.

There is just so much more detail and clarity in the top end of the KH80's it's not even funny. What's going on here, are KH80s overhyped in the top end or are the Kali's really lacking that much detail. The Kali's pack more of a punch in the mid/lows alright but in that band the Neumann's still have so much more detail on the bass whereas the Kali's are decidedly muddy there.

I'm very surprised as both speakers were roughly the same price, and with the Kali's being a 3 way speaker I would have thought good detail in the highs.

I have no scientific way to really measure this but was able to verify using my Sony MD-7509 headphones and some pink noise played on all 3 systems, Kali sound very dull.

I have included a crappy recording from my phone from the same position for both speakers ~1 metre to illustrate what I hear (Neumanns come in at 10-14s )...Quality isn't great but I think you get the idea...

Any thoughts on this?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is the Kali Spectrum:
1664790139342.png

This is Neumann:
1664790158710.png

Specifically, around 1 kHz the Neumann's are much more pronounced, especially in one channel. What test signal is this? Do yo have some kind of processing on the KH80's?

Last edited:

ApprehensiveFox

Hi, owner of this particular kali speaker here. It looks like the graph on the neumann emphasizes the upper midrange due to the large dip around 500hz. I'm guessing this could be because of unfortunate room interactions with the neumann and it shouldn't sound like this. Have you tried listening to them from the same position in the room?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the setting on the Acoustical Control on the KH80?
1664791731989.png

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Also, the Kalis should be listened slightly off-axis as the on-axis suffers from some cancellations due to coincident design, starting around 9kHz and above. If you currently have them pointing directly at you toe them out 10-20 degrees. Erin's measurements also support this.

OP
F

Fingerbib2000

Thanks for your help, all.

The Neumann's are in Free Standing Mode no other DSP. Output switch is 100db and the output gain at -5db.
Kali's are next to them, dips switches 2 & 3 raised as they are next to wall. Output gain at +3db.

Room is carpeted, has a small sofa but otherwise untreated and small square (~10m2).

I have toed the kalis out about 15deg and retested, seems to be slightly better:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmC_jh877FTgkQqQHvNCpGKv0Dyb?e=MCRjud - Neumanns
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmC_jh877FTgkQm5QH3ResQdVEHq?e=98gBEf - Kali

Kali's probably way too big for the room anyway but was just curious about the performance.

I have a room measurement mic ordered so will test the response properly once it arrives.

Recluse-Animator

Both aren't really in the same price category imo as the KH 80 is about a 1/3 more expensive and the Kali is a 3 way stand alone capable speaker and the Neumann is a small 2 way that needs a sub.
Also the IN-8 is the best model from a new budget manufacturer and the KH 80 is the cheapest model from a premium manufacturer ( not by price ) with years of experience.

OP
F

Fingerbib2000

I got lucky with the KH80 price it seems as they've gone back to 'normal' price now from the store I brought them.

I agree, it's apples and oranges, but was just curious about the discrepancy in that high end, especially compared to the Sony MDR-7509s.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would try using a measurement mic and both speakers in the exact same position, with all DSP corrections bypassed, levels matched.

Top Bottom