• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali IN-5 vs. Adam A3X

yjlai__

Hi, so I was deciding on whether to buy A5x with sub 8, or kali in-5/lp-6 with ws12.
The reason I’m using sub for the first obvious reason is for the low frequency response, but also when using my a7x in my small room, low frequency are canceled and positioning is a problem since my room is too small and hard to make a significant change sonically.
Any thoughts on whether which to choose? My main concern is the sound performance.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Hi, so I was deciding on whether to buy A5x with sub 8, or kali in-5/lp-6 with ws12.
The reason I’m using sub for the first obvious reason is for the low frequency response, but also when using my a7x in my small room, low frequency are canceled and positioning is a problem since my room is too small and hard to make a significant change sonically.
Any thoughts on whether which to choose? My main concern is the sound performance.
Welcome Aboard @yjlai__.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Welcome to ASR. :)

Here's Kali LP-6:
1621632476712.png

-3dB (resp. -6db) point v.s. reference is at 42.0Hz (resp. 40.0Hz).
Preference Score is 5.1 and would be 7.0 with a perfect subwoofer.'

I would be closely comparing the two Kali's in your shoes, and not considering Adam's A5x (due to the issues discussed earlier in the thread).

About subs...
Unless you're really short on space, my pick would be the Kali WS-12 subwoofer, since it's a larger size woofer (12", ported) vs the smaller Adam Sub8 (8.5" sealed). Another subwoofer that should be on your shortlist is the JBL LSR310S, which is cheaper than Kali, and smaller too (10", ported)...for something in between the two sizes.
I'd love to say definitively which subwoofer is better, but unfortunately, since we don't have CEA-2010-A measurements for a lot of studio subwoofers, you'll need to choose one based on community feedback instead of objective data.
If you want to see which subs have objective data (aka CEA-2010-A data), see my 'subwoofer comparison' spreadsheet.
Also, there's no reason to choose a subwoofer that's the same brand as the studio monitors...unless you really want to support a single company.

yjlai__

Welcome to ASR. :)

Here's Kali LP-6:
View attachment 131180
-3dB (resp. -6db) point v.s. reference is at 42.0Hz (resp. 40.0Hz).
Preference Score is 5.1 and would be 7.0 with a perfect subwoofer.'

I would be closely comparing the two Kali's in your shoes, and not considering Adam's A5x (due to the issues discussed earlier in the thread).

About subs...
Unless you're really short on space, my pick would be the Kali WS-12 subwoofer, since it's a larger size woofer (12", ported) vs the smaller Adam Sub8 (8.5" sealed). Another subwoofer that should be on your shortlist is the JBL LSR310S, which is cheaper than Kali, and smaller too (10", ported)...for something in between the two sizes.
I'd love to say definitively which subwoofer is better, but unfortunately, since we don't have CEA-2010-A measurements for a lot of studio subwoofers, you'll need to choose one based on community feedback instead of objective data.
If you want to see which subs have objective data (aka CEA-2010-A data), see my 'subwoofer comparison' spreadsheet.
Also, there's no reason to choose a subwoofer that's the same brand as the studio monitors...unless you really want to support a single company.
Thank you for your reply. After consideration and the opinions you provided, I might go for Kali in-5 with Yamaha HS8s. Since I have SMAART, measurement Mic, and a 4x4 DSP, I can set my crossover and delay to my desire and the onboard crossover on subs will be useless to me. And again thank you for the data provided. Great work!

Top Bottom