• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali IN-5 vs. Adam A3X

pinkish

Hey guys,

I posted in these forums a few weeks ago looking for advice about a DAC for my computer. With the help of @Jimbob54 and other users here, I managed to find the best solution for me (iFi Zen DAC) and I'm very happy with my purchase.

I would like your help again in choosing a pair of active speakers for music listening and movie watching. I'm not a music producer, just a regular computer geek. After a lot of reading, I now have to decide between the Kali IN-5s and the Adam A3Xs.

Kali IN-5 - 350€ each
3-way
39Hz - 25kHz
power button at the back :(

Adam A3X - 250€ each
2-way
60Hz - 50kHz
power button on the front

I read that both have hiss in standby mode. Since I'm not able to listen to them before making the purchase, I rely on your experience with these or similar models (IN-8 v2, A5x, A7X etc.).

Which would you choose and why? Cheers! :)

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I would avoid Adam's A#X series...simply because their A series is simply long outdated compared to their newer S and T models.
Read the discussion on the A5X thread to learn more.

Kali IN-5 have good on-axis, but limited in SPL, so it's more of a nearfield monitor than mid-field or far-field.
See Erin's review:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kali-in-5-studio-monitor-review.22487/
1621367626365.png

Erin's conclusion was:
If you are looking for speakers for home theater or high-volume listening in a farfield situation like a living room or media room, these speakers are not recommended. These are designed for nearfield listening; the manual states the recommended listening range at 1 to 2 meters and most engineers mix in the 80-85dB range. As you can see in my frequency response linearity testing, the output is limited (via internal DSP) somewhere above the 96dB @ 1m output level. This is purposely designed to protect the speakers from being overdriven and thanks to this, they are indeed best served at moderate volumes and/or nearfield listening.

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
IN-5 any day. Way better bottom end extension, 3-way and a coaxial mid/tweeter so vertical positioning is a lot less critical. I also personally strongly dislike AMTs, but that's just me.

I think around that price point there's very little better than the IN-5 though the Focal Alpha 65 Evo may be worth a look as well (though there has been no reviews of any sort of these as of yet).

OP
P

pinkish

Why not consider KRK Rokit 5 Gen 4?

I was originally looking at the A3X because they had the power button on the front. But when I saw the IN-5s are 3-way and have a better frequency response, I said I should consider them, although they cost 100 euros more per unit.

Now that I've (almost) accepted the extra cost for 3-way speakers, I wouldn't want to go back to 2-way speakers unless they're so very much better. Is that the case with the KRK Rokit RP5 G4 (which also has the power button at the back)?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
OP
P

pinkish

I personally wouldn't choose a speaker based on it's power button...;)

You are right, I now realize how I sounded - like buying a car based on its color :) I'm sorry, what I meant was that I was looking at convenience as well. Thanks for the TP-LINK tip, I have a few of their cameras and I like their brand.

Going back to speakers: is there a 2-way option better than the IN-5s when it comes to sound (@350 euros)? Because, as @dfuller said, there are no 3-way better options at 350 euros or less.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
KRK Rokit 5 G4:
1621369966457.png

-3dB (resp. -6db) point v.s. reference is at 54.0Hz (resp. 48.0Hz).
Preference Score is 3.7 and would be 5.9 with a perfect subwoofer.

Kali IN-5:
1621369962385.png

-3dB (resp. -6db) point v.s. reference is at 44.0Hz (resp. 41.0Hz).
Preference Score is 5.4 and would be 7.3 with a perfect subwoofer.

Here's KRK:
1621369977535.png

Here's Kali IN-5 distortion at 96db (I drew the red arrow at -50, to match Amir's) (I hope that's right? lol)
1621369982436.png

So in terms of on-axis and distortion, Kali wins both.
I'm guessing the only limitation is the max SPL.

That's why I want to see Kali IN-8 v2 reviewed so badly! ;):cool:

Attachments

• 1621369974128.png
    1621369974128.png
    96.6 KB · Views: 88

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Convenience is important. I like to have only one or two buttons to press before having music, otherwise I can just prefer leaving all off.

As for 2-way or 3-way, some people like it when there are less crossovers.

OP
P

pinkish

@sweetchaos, thanks a lot for taking the time to bring all those arguments to this thread.

As for 2-way or 3-way, some people like it when there are less crossovers.
I'm such a newbie that I don't have any preferences yet on this subject :)
Speaking of that, though, I have to ask at this point: do you consider there is a 2-way option that's better than the IN-5s because it has better crossovers?

Otherwise, I think I will go for the IN-5s. The IN-8s are not an option, they are too expensive for me.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
No problem.

There is a much cheaper option at 155 EUR/each...Adam T5V
1621373940432.png

-3dB (resp. -6db) point v.s. reference is at 59.0Hz (resp. 51.0Hz).
Preference Score is 4.3 and would be 6.6 with a perfect subwoofer.

Amir gave his "highly recommended" award to these in his review.
Distortion is decent, at 96 db playback levels.
1621373992721.png

I would definitely use PEQ with these, and put a high shelf filter at 5500hz (-3db gain, with q of 1.0), like Amir recommended.

The limitation with these, like other 2-way, is the limited vertical directivity. So you really want to say within +-10deg of the vertical to get the best sound (within a 3db window of on-axis).
1621374396023.png

That would be my budget pick.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
For comparison, here's Kali IN-5 vertical directivity:
1621374997306.png

Which I think it just amazing...ideally you want to stay within +-30 deg of vertical, to stay within +-3db window.

Yep, Kali did an excellent job with this speaker...I must say.
So if you can afford it, go ahead.
I doubt you'll be disappointed. :)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No problem.

There is a much cheaper option at 155 EUR/each...Adam T5V
View attachment 130567
-3dB (resp. -6db) point v.s. reference is at 59.0Hz (resp. 51.0Hz).
Preference Score is 4.3 and would be 6.6 with a perfect subwoofer.

Amir gave his "highly recommended" award to these in his review.
Distortion is decent, at 96 db playback levels.
View attachment 130568

I would definitely use PEQ with these, and put a high shelf filter at 5500hz (-3db gain, with q of 1.0), like Amir recommended.

The limitation with these, like other 2-way, is the limited vertical directivity. So you really want to say within +-10deg of the vertical to get the best sound (within a 3db window of on-axis).
View attachment 130569

That would be my budget pick.
I would take it too but am worried about hiss. The KRK seems quieter.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I have the KRK Rokit 7 G4’s with KRK 10s sub and there is an audible hiss from the speakers that is noticeable from 2ft away but you cannot hear it when playing music, even at low volumes. I do live in the middle of nowhere so the ambient noise level is practically zero.

Mountain Goat

Forum Donor
My Adam A5Xs that sit 3 feet from me on my desktop have zero hiss. I don't know if I got lucky with the speakers or my signal chain, but not every AX hisses.

You'll need a sub with any of these to make them sound really good.

OP
P

pinkish

I have a friend with me reading the thread and he was amazed at the knowledge you guys have. He's got a question that maybe @sweetchaos can answer - what are the best 2-way powered speakers under 200 euro each?

From my research, I'd say the Yamaha HS5, HS7 and the Focal Alpha 50, but I'm curious about your opinions, guys.

PS: let me know if it would be better to open another topic on this subject. Thanks!

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Yamaha HS5:
1621461381969.png

-3dB (resp. -6db) point v.s. reference is at 144.0Hz (resp. 59.0Hz).
Preference Score is 3.1 and would be 5.5 with a perfect subwoofer.

Yamaha HS7:
1621461425073.png

-3dB (resp. -6db) point v.s. reference is at 82.0Hz (resp. 41.0Hz).
Preference Score is 4.1 and would be 6.0 with a perfect subwoofer.

Impressions:
My bro has the Yamaha HS5, so I was able to listen to it.
First impressions is tonality is off in the midrange (800-1.4khz), it lacks bass and it's bright.
I quickly added PEQ profile (I think by maiky) to bring it back to neutral and it was more acceptable.
He's got the white speaker and it's hooked up to the computer.
I think design wise, Yamaha makes a good looking speaker, especially in white.
1621461798589.png

My overall thoughts on the HS5 and HS7:
I think using Yamaha HS5's out of the box, is not recommended, and should only be used with the means of digital EQ. Once there, the sound was acceptable.
Seeing the Yamaha HS7 frequency response, I would say the same.

This corresponds to Amir's impressions as well. He recommended the HS7 but only with EQ to fix it's issues.

I still think the Adam T5V is a great pick you should be considering, under 200 EUR.

If you're going to use them with a TV, for example, that doesnt have a means of doing EQ, then set the "HF" (high frequency) dip switch on the back of the speakers to -2db, which corresponds to lowering the overall frequency response below 3khz, as shown in this graph (shown in blue curve):
1621462441938.png

Which should nicely bring down the excess brightness for a more neutral response:
1621462498990.png

It might still sound a bit bright beyond 10khz, but hey...it's better than the default.

With a computer/laptop setup, it's super easy, apply PEQ and you're done. No need to adjust dip switches if you have the means of digital EQ.

No clue on the Focal Alpha 50 since we don't have a full spinorama yet.

Last edited:
OP
P

pinkish

Wow, @sweetchaos , thanks again for taking the time to explain things. My friend doesn't speak English, but I've translated everything for him and he's overjoyed with the Adam T5Vs as you've presented them. He says you should be paid by Adam Audio for bringing them clients! :)

One more thing (and I'd want to know this myself, because I don't know how it's done) - how do you apply PEQ? I couldn't find the info in Amir's review and not in Google, at all.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Top Bottom