• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali IN-5 announcement

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A 5" woofer crossed over to a 4" mid at just 280 Hz has to be one of the most unusual combinations in the loudspeaker world. Think of the design considerations for a 5" driver optimized exclusively for <300 Hz performance. It would be fascinating to read an interview with Charles Sprinkle discussing all the unique considerations that went into the IN-5 and how Kali specifically dealt with each issue.

3125b

Major Contributor
Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
A 5" woofer crossed over to a 4" mid at just 280 Hz has to be one of the most unusual combinations in the loudspeaker world. Think of the design considerations for a 5" driver optimized exclusively for <300 Hz performance. It would be fascinating to read an interview with Charles Sprinkle discussing all the unique considerations that went into the IN-5 and how Kali specifically dealt with each issue.
when they claim +/- 3dB range extends like 10hz lower than the 8030C or 5hz lower than KH120 it's pretty damn impressive especially at the cost of Kali. I think that the 4" mid as in a coaxial would loose some area to the tweeter so it's more like a 3" - 3.5" mid driver which sounds quite normal, and if the woofer design or material don't need to produce anything mid frequency I believe that's why they can go lower than both Genelec and Neumann 5" model. too bad their size is significantly larger also

Biblob

when they claim +/- 3dB range extends like 10hz lower than the 8030C or 5hz lower than KH120 it's pretty damn impressive especially at the cost of Kali. I think that the 4" mid as in a coaxial would loose some area to the tweeter so it's more like a 3" - 3.5" mid driver which sounds quite normal, and if the woofer design or material don't need to produce anything mid frequency I believe that's why they can go lower than both Genelec and Neumann 5" model. too bad their size is significantly larger also
It's possible they designed the lower woofer for more lower bass output and/or lower f3 in a ported box. That way the combination with the mid woofer, the mid will play more of the lower midrange.

I am curious to the indepent driver responses. I imagine the slopes would kinda look like the response of the Revel F35, which is also a 2,5 way speaker. But I might be wrong, it's hard to guess with different driver sizes/configurations. All in all more interesting to see this perform on the NFS.

OP
J

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
3rd party measurement to come.
Screenshot_20210217-122729.png

More Dynamics Please

Puzzling specifications: Kali defines maximum listening distance as the maximum distance at which the monitor can play at 85 dB continuously with 20 dB of dynamic headroom to allow for peaks in the program material. Why would Kali specify the maximum recommended listening distance for the IN-5 at 2.2 meters or .6 meters less than the IN-8's 2.8 meters when the IN-5's rated maximum SPL of 115 dB is 1 dB higher than the IN-8's 114 dB? It seems the IN-5 has sufficient maximum SPL to work at the same 2.8 meter maximum listening distance as the IN-8 for those who might want to use it in a small music/home theater room.

boomyak

https://www.zzounds.com/item--KAAIN5

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/IN5--kali-audio-in-5-5-inch-powered-studio-monitor

They say they're in-stock and would arrive on the east coast delivery by the next day.

Now I'm just waiting for some more reviews to come rolling in. The only one out there is that one guy who seems very chummy with the Kali guys, so I'd like to see more reviews from the general public. So get buying people! Let us know if this is a hit or miss. Worth more than 2x the price of the LP-6? How is the bass response/extension? Can a 5" sub compete with a 6.5" or 8"? How is are the mids? Any weird stuff happening in the crossover ranges?

If anyone finds a review, please post :)

Dansi

Hello, I am just testing new Kali IN-5. Can you tell me why when I bow my head I hear the transients right (as I know from other speakers?) I tried to find best position and setting (vertical/horizontal) but every time I get best results if I move my chin to chest and rotate my ears 90 to body.

What is happening? Some kind of phase issues in my room or speakers? Why it is rotated exactly 90° for mids/highs only? I have here Adam T7V and I dont know that this is happening with them.

Otherwise the sweet spot for mids/highs stays (head normaly) very wide and also if I move head up/down. In bowed position I hear sweet spot more like normal noncoaxial speakers but also wider and taller than usual speakers.

My room is semi treated with DIY rockwool panels (corners, first side reflection, behind head, nothing on ceiling), speakers are now setted best way I heard them: horizontaly, tweaters outside and little bit higher than middle of tweater. Problem with "better bowed sound" is in every possible position I tested.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Can you tell me why when I bow my head I hear the transients right (as I know from other speakers?)

Are you saying you need to flex your head 90 degrees forward (bowed sound?) in order for the transients to sound like they're from normal speakers? -- e.g. Adam T7V.

I don't have this speaker. But your description, while interesting, is kind of very hard to make sense of...

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, I am just testing new Kali IN-5. Can you tell me why when I bow my head I hear the transients right (as I know from other speakers?) I tried to find best position and setting (vertical/horizontal) but every time I get best results if I move my chin to chest and rotate my ears 90 to body.

What is happening? Some kind of phase issues in my room or speakers? Why it is rotated exactly 90° for mids/highs only? I have here Adam T7V and I dont know that this is happening with them.

How close are your speakers to a ceiling or floor? The IN-5 has even vertical dispersion that may be larger top to bottom, where the Adam has ragged dispersion but also much narrower, avoiding more floor and ceiling bounce.

You may be hearing more reflections from the IN-5 from the ceiling. Can you use them nearfield and see if they still sound odd to you? When you bow your head my guess is that they back of your ears are attenuating some of the ceiling reflection high frequencies and making it sound more dry like your Adam.

Maybe I should try the same test tomorrow but with IN5 speakers and my ribbon based HiVi DIY speaker that has narrower vertical dispersion.

Dansi

How close are your speakers to a ceiling or floor? The IN-5 has even vertical dispersion that may be larger top to bottom, where the Adam has ragged dispersion but also much narrower, avoiding more floor and ceiling bounce.

You may be hearing more reflections from the IN-5 from the ceiling. Can you use them nearfield and see if they still sound odd to you? When you bow your head my guess is that they back of your ears are attenuating some of the ceiling reflection high frequencies and making it sound more dry like your Adam.

Maybe I should try the same test tomorrow but with IN5 speakers and my ribbon based HiVi DIY speaker that has narrower vertical dispersion.
I am sorry I am not native speaker. When I move my head down so the chin touches the chest.
I have them on stands little bit higher than my ears This was best position as I heard them. I have not treated my ceiling but corners where the speakers are treated so is back wall first reflection and sides first relection. The room is not perfect but I had realize this problem first with Kali In series. I meant this was the dip In-8 has but that was supposed to be lessened - improved trsnsients and freq response.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am sorry I am not native speaker. When I move my head down so the chin touches the chest.
I have them on stands little bit higher than my ears This was best position as I heard them. I have not treated my ceiling but corners where the speakers are treated so is back wall first reflection and sides first relection. The room is not perfect but I had realize this problem first with Kali In series. I meant this was the dip In-8 has but that was supposed to be lessened - improved trsnsients and freq response.
When you bow your head you are closer to the speakers. No wonder it sounds better.

bbfoto

Kali messaged me last week and are going to send me a pair to review. Think they said it would be about a month.

Too bad you didn't keep the old Civic. These concentric drivers could have ended up in your A-pillars, LOL. :p

I'll look forward to your test and review.

bbfoto

Hello, I am just testing new Kali IN-5. Can you tell me why when I bow my head I hear the transients right (as I know from other speakers?)

It is due to BSDRTF...

Bald Shiny Dome Related Transfer Function. I have the same issue! It's gotta be either that, or MBRTF (Man Boobies Related Transfer Function)! :p

I kid! Sorry for the worthless post and abuse of valuable ASR bandwidth. :oops: I'd like to know what's really going on as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom