• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali IN-5 announcement

Dansi

When you bow your head you are closer to the speakers. No wonder it sounds better.
Noway you dont get it. I stay the same relative position. I even move head side to side up/down but stayed "the same" distance from ears to speakers. It is like night and day not as when I move head closer to speakers. Like I said sweet spot is very wide for these speakers but I reveal transients only when I "look down" and in every possible position it is better. It behaves more like traditional sweetspot with differrent dips and peaks according to room acoustics and my head position. If I have head normaly I dont hear transients and sweet spot is even larger but with dull sound.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Noway you dont get it. I stay the same relative position. I even move head side to side up/down but stayed "the same" distance from ears to speakers. It is like night and day not as when I move head closer to speakers. Like I said sweet spot is very wide for these speakers but I reveal transients only when I "look down" and in every possible position it is better. It behaves more like traditional sweetspot with differrent dips and peaks according to room acoustics and my head position. If I have head normaly I dont hear transients and sweet spot is even larger but with dull sound.
What does "hear transients" mean?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
What does "hear transients" mean?

He hears sounds that are highly transient in nature like percussion instruments more clearly when his head is "bowed down" and closer to his speakers.

* at least the what I think he's saying.

Dansi

He hears sounds that are highly transient in nature like percussion instruments more clearly when his head is "bowed down" and closer to his speakers.

* at least the what I think he's saying.
Almost - not closer to speakers. That said someone that I hear more transients because I am closer. That is not the case. I beware to stay same length from speakers to ears when I look down (so I move back a litlle ;) ).

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Could it be something related with the on-axis 8-10 kHz diffraction problem which the IN-8 has (and the IN-5 possibly too), which causes a dip there on the direct sound? Maybe if bowing down due to the different ear rotation he gets more reflected sound which has not that dip.

Last edited:

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am wondering if you are getting floor or ceiling reflections when you do move your head around like that.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kneeling on the floor, starting nearfield and backing up slowly, while alternating between a bowed head and straight, I'm not sure I'm hearing what you're hearing with transients. Just sounds like less high frequencies.

Do you have hair or are you bald? My hair is due for a cut, 2-3 times longer perhaps than in the picture. (None is blocking, tucked, or around my ears.) Could be placebo, but all I really notice is when I'm close there is less really high frequency "air" and further back.

Testing again I also set my stands very high to test and see if the ceiling reflection seem to be the issue, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I'm simply hearing less highs on the fast synth sounds in "The Game Has Changed" from the Tron Legacy Filmscore.

DANSI: If the Adams have dip switches in the back, perhaps one of them is for treble tilt and is making the treble tilt down, which would sound closer to the slightly rolled off highs I hear with the IN-5 when I bend my head forward. Or, perhaps you need to engage one of the presets on the Kali to make it sound flatter if you haven't done so already.

Dansi

Kneeling on the floor, starting nearfield and backing up slowly, while alternating between a bowed head and straight, I'm not sure I'm hearing what you're hearing with transients. Just sounds like less high frequencies.

Do you have hair or are you bald? My hair is due for a cut, 2-3 times longer perhaps than in the picture. (None is blocking, tucked, or around my ears.) Could be placebo, but all I really notice is when I'm close there is less really high frequency "air" and further back.

Testing again I also set my stands very high to test and see if the ceiling reflection seem to be the issue, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I'm simply hearing less highs on the fast synth sounds in "The Game Has Changed" from the Tron Legacy Filmscore.

DANSI: If the Adams have dip switches in the back, perhaps one of them is for treble tilt and is making the treble tilt down, which would sound closer to the slightly rolled off highs I hear with the IN-5 when I bend my head forward. Or, perhaps you need to engage one of the presets on the Kali to make it sound flatter if you haven't done so already.
Your sayin' you hear rolled off highs? I hear the opposite. Can be something upside down in my pair?
My Adams are setted high shelf -2 and Kali +2 and Kali sounds duller :(

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your sayin' you hear rolled off highs? I hear the opposite. Can be something upside down in my pair?
My Adams are setted high shelf -2 and Kali +2 and Kali sounds duller :(

Do you have a microphone and REW you can measure with to see the difference? On a lower end model from Adam there is a +4dB shelf above 5khz,

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/adam-t5v-review-studio-monitor.18122/

Not sure if that exists in your model, but the Kali should be flatter which might sound dull if you're used to more treble.

No way of telling in your room what the differences are without being able to measure things, but you might consider listening to the IN5 for a couple of weeks and not the Adam, and then once you are used to it seeing if the Adams sound bright.

Upside down shouldn't make much of a different with the IN-5. It has very even vertical and horizontal dispersion and not likely much lobeing like a 2-way non-concentric.

Dansi

Do you have a microphone and REW you can measure with to see the difference? On a lower end model from Adam there is a +4dB shelf above 5khz,

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/adam-t5v-review-studio-monitor.18122/

Not sure if that exists in your model, but the Kali should be flatter which might sound dull if you're used to more treble.

No way of telling in your room what the differences are without being able to measure things, but you might consider listening to the IN5 for a couple of weeks and not the Adam, and then once you are used to it seeing if the Adams sound bright.

Upside down shouldn't make much of a different with the IN-5. It has very even vertical and horizontal dispersion and not likely much lobeing like a 2-way non-concentric.

I know they are spreading differently and to "all" directions. I meant something mangled inside or DSP or whatever.

I just tested putting acoustic foam on top the speaker so that it "blocks" spreading to ceiling. Also with foam on my table where I have mess and synths. With no effect (still same story). :(

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know they are spreading differently and to "all" directions. I meant something mangled inside or DSP or whatever.

I just tested putting acoustic foam on top the speaker so that it "blocks" spreading to ceiling. Also with foam on my table where I have mess and synths. With no effect (still same story). :(

I don't think there is a way something inside can be broken in a way where it sounds right with your head tilted. A 90 degree phase issue or phase issue in general isn't related to the angle of your head. Best bet would be to return it if you don't like it, or send to Amir to measure. Maybe it is defective, but if not, we won't know where it sounds different from the Adam speakers you have. I wish you were close and could borrow my MiniDSP and Umik to measure, maybe with something shielding the top of the mic and without to see what changes on each speaker.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Take the speakers outside to test first so that the room is eliminated from the equation. I want to ask how in the world you figured out to test with a bowed head, but I won't.

Every ASR member really should have a microphone to measure with.

Dansi

I dont have measuring microphone. But I would like to work on them with my ears so I judge by them. I will leave science testing to others and really like to see that also. I will bring them outside and test. Bowed head was fortune :D when I was testing sweet spot while listening and comparing speaker and listening postions, settings on speakers.
I will test them in different room and try also outside just for the sake of testing. But I know these will not work now in my room. It will maybe make me do measuring. But my current studio is temporary...

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When you're changing the angle of your head in any direction you're changing the ratio between direct and reflecting sound. The very shape of your ear means that tilting will most likely change the frequency response perceived because the sound is now reflected differently on the edge of the ear.

So that's natural and expected. What you need to find out is whether or not you like the direct sound of your speakers or the combination of direct and reflected sound.

Measurements can never decide what you like, they can only tell what is happening. From there it's easier to find out the why's.

Dansi

Thank you. That is the answer! As I didnt experience this behaviour that much with other speakers I didnt know what was happening.

Last edited:

beren777

Received an IN-5 this morning. Does this picture of the coax driver look normal?

IMG_0243.jpg

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

beren777

Yes.

Small air gap, tan colored ish on the inside of the mid-range driver, not touching anywhere.

Thanks! That's reassuring. I ran a quick frequency sweep and didn't notice anything peculiar on the first go. I was afraid it had separated or something.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! That's reassuring. I ran a quick frequency sweep and didn't notice anything peculiar on the first go. I was afraid it had separated or something.

The Elac Navis and KEF drivers also have an air gap, but are more pretty, and you pay dearly for that.

Only Genelecs seem to have gapless/diffraction less coaxial drivers.

sharock

Quite curious to see how these measure.

I've got some Eve SC208s in my bedroom that are a bit too large and ugly. Would like to replace them with something smaller and possibly coaxial. Thinking about maybe the Gen 8030C, AE1 Actives or these. The Elac Navis or KEF R3 (+amp) would be nice but quite out of budget.

Top Bottom