• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio IN-8v2 (Second Wave) 3-Way Studio Monitor Review

tuga

Major Contributor
Cumulative Spectral Decay (CSD)
Cumulative%20spectral%20decay.png

@hardisj , would it be too much trouble to produce a CSD plot that is 500ms long?
I am curious as to how looong it takes for the port resonance to go quiet.

jevenator

"At a 9ft listening distance the IN-8s will work perfectly. They have a powerful enough bass extension (their response goes down to 39Hz) that they can produce substantial low frequency effect (LFE) for movies without the need of a subwoofer. They also have a high transient response, which allows for near-perfect reproduction of delicate transients created by pianos, soft vocals, etc.
If you like listening to music with a wide dynamic range, such a Jazz, the IN-8s will really shine in your space.
"
- Customer Service

I'm curious if anyone has tried this as a 2 channel setup in a living room environemnt. I still have the ability to return my JBL Studio 530s and DA-9 AMP and this is the only other option I think I would try.

Paulz

Can anyone compare the max output levels of the Kali In-8 and kef 3 at say 10 feet? Many thanks!

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
Kali's spec seems to align with THX which defines studio reference level as 85 dB SPL with 20 dB of headroom. Kali merely adds that the IN-8 v2 will achieve this at up to 3.5 meters (11.5 feet). This should satisfy average home theater users. I get now that your warning about the IN-8 v2 limiter kicking in is aimed at those who want to listen above THX studio reference level or beyond 11.5 feet.

https://www.thx.com/questions/what-is-the-reference-level/

We're specifically concerned about Dolby's spec, which say that the speaker needs to be able to do 85+20 at the listening position. The listening distance spec that we publish is to tell anyone building a room whether the speakers will work at their working distances for that spec.

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We almost never run sales.

If I recall correctly Kali first introduced the LP-6 at $200 and later permanently lowered the price to $150. Whereas some companies sell some product at full pricing and some at sales pricing Kali seems to have chosen a permanent pricing structure that's more like the sales pricing others employ. Active 6" monitors that measure as well as the LP-6 are normally not available for $150.

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
If I recall correctly Kali first introduced the LP-6 at $200 and later permanently lowered the price to $150. Whereas some companies sell some product at full pricing and some at sales pricing Kali seems to have chosen a permanent pricing structure that's more like the sales pricing others employ. Active 6" monitors that measure as well as the LP-6 are normally not available for $150.
We introduced the LP-8 at $249 and lowered the price to $199 after a time. The LP-6 has always been $149 and I can't recall ever having offered a discount as part of a promotion.

Biblob

We're specifically concerned about Dolby's spec, which say that the speaker needs to be able to do 85+20 at the listening position. The listening distance spec that we publish is to tell anyone building a room whether the speakers will work at their working distances for that spec.
When can we expect to be able to buy the IN-8 v2 in Europe?

ndis

Thomann has separate skus for first and second wave in8s. Btw do we expect a 2nd wave ws12 as well?

kniff

When can we expect to be able to buy the IN-8 v2 in Europe?
I think you can already? Our EU distributors have ordered them, but looking at (for example) Thomann, it's not clear what they'd ship you is a a V1 or V2. Let me do some poking for you...
Thomann has separate skus for first and second wave in8s. Btw do we expect a 2nd wave ws12 as well?

As stated, Thomann does indeed have v2 but call them second wave.

https://www.thomann.de/se/kali_audio_in_8_2nd_wave.htm

Zvu

@KaliAudio_Official

Can you disclose what is the origin of 180Hz resonance visible at csd plot in first post of the thread as well as frequency response measurement ?

Is it port resonance or something more sinister ?

Thanks in advance

Top Bottom