• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio IN-8v2 (Second Wave) 3-Way Studio Monitor Review

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are you off-axis as Erin recommends?
Yeah absolutely. The photo is cropped, but when I’m in the rowing machine the speaker is off to the side, more than 20 degrees.

Here’s why: due to the tweeter to midrange cone interaction) there’s a null just above 10KHz in the on axis frequency response.

Going off axis avoids that. But the tonal balance is still hot, as evidenced by the listening window. (2nd upper most curve)

And the horizontal response:
FE5F9AA5-2A51-4AAB-9114-B488E48B061A.jpeg

And the vertical response:
F0485D3D-C1D0-4EB1-92ED-122756C17E06.jpeg

I’ve had a lot of experience to know 1dB makes a difference. IMHO the spinorama/CT2034 standard of 50dB range is far too generous. It’s the power equivalent of 0.001W to 100W

When designing speakers my vertical range is 10dB…

Last edited:

jmillar

I didn't hear it with the IN-5.

The funny thing about hearing the resonance in this speaker was it was the last song I was shuffling through and I turned around to the computer right when I heard it. I thought "what was that", and listened to it again at that point. Heard it again. Went through a few more tracks to listen on purpose and only a couple showed it. I mean, it was really barely noticeable. But when I plotted the CSD I could see what I was hearing. I didn't try to EQ it... maybe you can. I would be surprised if more than 90% of listeners ever heard it. But like you said, once you do, it's impossible to ignore. Luckily it happens rarely. Nowhere near as bad as the JBL 305P mk2 did, so I can still recommend it. And I would still own the speaker if it were in my wheelhouse/need.
You can't really EQ resonances out, just make them a bit less noticeable in some cases.

tktran303

Forum Donor
Yeah it depends where the anomaly is coming from, and what type of “resonance”. That’s what Erin means you “may be able to”

Resonances of the ringing kind, like chaotic breakup of metal cones CAN and should be equalised out, Definitely. Passive notch filters or high Q parametric filters are useful for this.

Destructive interference that causes a dip in the frequency response are much harder to EQ back. For instance when measuring speakers in-room response. The dips are real. Leave them alone- as you increase power to the problem area, driving the signal harder just sinks more energy into the antinode.

Measured resonances that come of the cabinet or port or driver frame or screws, binding posts or vibrating cables inside the cabinet cannot he equalised out. You need to remove the problem at the source.

I haven’t had a chance to do a deep dive into this; the upper treble peak may be due to the tweeter/midrange cone interference, in which

Sam Ash

What is the correct sensitivity of the IN-8v2 in dB @ 1m? - sorry if this has been answered in a previous post.

Is it still 85dB or has it been increased to 94 dB?

tktran303

Forum Donor
There’s a gain knob on the back so sensitivity doesn’t really apply in the traditional sense.

But manual states:

“TRS/XLR Input Sensitivity:
97dB SPL @1m (anechoic) for +4dBu input.
RCA Input Sensitivity:` 97dB SPL @1m (anechoic) for -10dBV input.”

Sam Ash

Thank you for that information
There’s a gain knob on the back so sensitivity doesn’t really apply in the traditional sense.

But manual states:

“TRS/XLR Input Sensitivity:
97dB SPL @1m (anechoic) for +4dBu input.
RCA Input Sensitivity:` 97dB SPL @1m (anechoic) for -10dBV input.”

Thank you for that information. Has anyone tried setting up a 5.x.2 or 7.x.4 Atmos configuration with the IN-8v2 or the LP range?

Adi777

What source do you recommend for the Kali IN-8v2?

TCW

Thank you for that information

Thank you for that information. Has anyone tried setting up a 5.x.2 or 7.x.4 Atmos configuration with the IN-8v2 or the LP range?
Sam, I currently have LP-8s for left and right channels and an IN-8v2 set horizontally as the center. The rest of the channels are Mirage OM series. I purchased the LP-8s after positive reviews and the claim that they could play sufficiently loud in small/medium sized rooms. I was skeptical of the claims, especially as the LP-8s were only $199 ea at the time. There is a Guitar Center nearby so I bought the speakers and gave them a try, expecting to return them, but I didn't. My wife and I are extremely pleased with the Kalis and almost angry knowing we were duped for years by "HiFi" offerings, comparatively.

Sam Ash

Sam, I currently have LP-8s for left and right channels and an IN-8v2 set horizontally as the center. The rest of the channels are Mirage OM series. I purchased the LP-8s after positive reviews and the claim that they could play sufficiently loud in small/medium sized rooms. I was skeptical of the claims, especially as the LP-8s were only $199 ea at the time. There is a Guitar Center nearby so I bought the speakers and gave them a try, expecting to return them, but I didn't. My wife and I are extremely pleased with the Kalis and almost angry knowing we were duped for years by "HiFi" offerings, comparatively.

How far are you sitting from the fronts and are you able to realise ref levels?

TCW

How far are you sitting from the fronts and are you able to realise ref levels?
The front row of seating places listeners' ears about 8.5 - 9 feet away from the speakers. The second row is more like 15 feet. On movies I crossover the low frequencies at 80hz. I typically run the subs a bit hot, depending on the movie. Often for 2 channel music listening I simply run the LP-8s in direct mode. I'll engage the subs if it's electronic music with extreme low end.

I'm not sure how close to reference I get but I no longer fret about extreme loudness. Sufficiently loud is plenty for me, my wife and friends. Because I have six 18" subs, movies like Interstellar can be overwhelming if turned up too loud. The Kali speakers along with all the other channels seem to do fine. Again, their ability to play loud enough was a concern, that's why I bought them local, intending to return them if they were underpowered. They aren't in my room (medium sized).

HDIV84

I want to audition these as a pair of mid-field audiophile speakers in my room. I'm enjoying all the great reviews but haven't seen anything addressing weather or not these are affected by typical class D characteristics. Is the timbre hard sounding and or do they sound lean?

MachOne

I want to audition these as a pair of mid-field audiophile speakers in my room. I'm enjoying all the great reviews but haven't seen anything addressing weather or not these are affected by typical class D characteristics. Is the timbre hard sounding and or do they sound lean?

The response charts should give you all the info on how they might sound compared to other speakers, but your room will have such a big impact that it's impossible for anyone to guess how they might sound in your space. Given the off axis characteristics, you would likely have good success EQing these to taste. FWIW I plonked a set of LP-6 in a typical lounge room and they sounded great, very balanced and better than a lot of typical hifi speakers would sound. I don't think class D has a 'sound' as such if it is working correctly.

pierre

Forum Donor
the most likely reason people are not talking abaut Class D or not is because it doesnt have an impact on the sound. I know it is hard to believe.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are no typical Class D characteristics…
Arguably some inexpensive class D amps are prone to hiss, which is why BASH amps use class D as a power supply and Class AB for the output.

That being said, Kali's v2 series of monitors and the IN5 all use their second gen amplifiers and sound excellent without issues with hiss.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any cheap amp can be prone to hiss. The amplifier class has nothing to do with it.
I thought the switching in class D required a filter on the output, which other amp classes don't need.

Maybe all of them have filters and some aren't good?

I don't see what would cause the hiss in a simpler non-switching amp.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought the switching in class D required a filter on the output, which other amp classes don't need.

The filter is for EMC compliance and filters out inaudible frequencies. It does not filter out hiss.

As for noise: this can come from numerous sources. Even a badly designed PCB can cause hiss.

Last edited:

VMAT4

Forum Donor

We gotta thread for this: Class D Amplifiers 101.

Top Bottom