• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio Appears to Be Releasing a Coaxial Speaker (NAMM video featuring Charles Sprinkle)

OP
K

Kyle / MrHeeHo

According to Reddit, the IN-8 is an enhancement to the existing Lone Pine Monitor (LP-8) and is based on the LP platform (Amp, DSP etc). The reddit post also mentions that Kali will start work on a monitor to compete with 7-series and other "$1000 monitors" but this is a way off.

I need to find a good deal on a pair of LSR708's now.
Seems Kali is trying to subplant all the JBL designs in the market.

Here's hoping they come out with a competitor to the iLoud Micro Monitor and the smaller Genelecs, especially with small bedroom studios becoming more and more popular.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I really want to pre-order these but I'm a little surprised they haven't posted any measurements at all yet. Would like to see the directivity...

It took at little while with the LP-6/LP-8 for the measurement data to show up, I'm sure it's forthcoming.

Neddy

Ordered.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if there will be the top-octave nulls that plague most coaxials to varying degrees except for KEF (who solved it with Tangerine). I don't see much in the way of heroic phase shields (eg. Tangerine) or mounting techniques to minimise it (eg. Technics with the flat radiator and auxillary midwoofer surround around the tweeter). Its closer to the SEAS coaxials which invariably have a null around 10kHz. Those nulls fill up off-axis but nonetheless induce a dip around the listening window.

Severian

Forum Donor
I don't remember where I got this so take it with a big grain of salt, but I've read that SEAS supplies at least one of their drivers.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I don't remember where I got this so take it with a big grain of salt, but I've read that SEAS supplies at least one of their drivers.

Possible, but more likely a Chinese supplier; Kali is very good at leveraging high quality manufacturing there. Maybe a Chinese sub to both Kali and SEAS?

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Possible, but more likely a Chinese supplier; Kali is very good at leveraging high quality manufacturing there. Maybe a Chinese sub to both Kali and SEAS?

It is my understanding SEAS only assembles their drivers in Norway. I've never seen a SEAS driver that wasn't assembled there, even if individual components might be outsourced.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
The price is right. Could be one of the great buys in hifi or a dud, let's see.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Take the over?
Yes. Likely to be really good.

I was delighted with the LP6 and gave it a rave review. Superb engineering. I need to see if I can get my hands on a pair of these new ones...

Neddy

zzounds was the only dealer linked when I ordered last night.
Their page says 'expected Oct. 8' but Kali was referencing Oct.20th earlier.
Also, the zzounds page states they only charge your card for product in stock, but mine was hit with the charge first thing this morning (possible they just put a 'hold' on it, I suppose).
(BTW, they do charge state taxes - maybe Kali will have other dealers where they don't?)
I'm very eager to compare them to both pairs of 305s I have, though I bought them for a different/nefarious project altogether, which required speakers that sit sideways (hence IN-8).
I'll update when I get shipping notification....or otherwise:)
PS. No idea on the top octave nulls stuff - way beyond my 'pay grade' - but Mr. Sprinkle I would think would be aware of that - he wasn't born yesterday under a turnip truck, after all....:cool:

Severian

Forum Donor

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Any thoughts on these new Tannoy dual concentric active monitors that were also just announced at a similar price point? https://www.tannoy.com/Categories/T...io-Monitoring/GOLD-8/p/P0C2C#googtrans(en|en)

I found some more detailed specs here: https://media63.music-group.com/media/PLM/data/docs/P0C2C/Tannoy_GOLD 8 P0C2C_Product Information Document.pdf

300W Class AB amps, although they list a lower max SPL of 110 compared to 114 for the IN-8.

Tannoy distribution in the US is sparse, to say the least.

matt3421

i would have tried these out if i didnt already buy a pair of KH 80s. how much does vertical dispersion influence listener preferences?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is my understanding SEAS only assembles their drivers in Norway. I've never seen a SEAS driver that wasn't assembled there, even if individual components might be outsourced.

I think Seas does or did source some drivers from Taiwan. The press release for their most recent 10" subwoofer driver mentions moving production for the new version to Norway.

Any thoughts on these new Tannoy dual concentric active monitors that were also just announced at a similar price point? https://www.tannoy.com/Categories/T...io-Monitoring/GOLD-8/p/P0C2C#googtrans(en|en)

I found some more detailed specs here: https://media63.music-group.com/media/PLM/data/docs/P0C2C/Tannoy_GOLD 8 P0C2C_Product Information Document.pdf

300W Class AB amps, although they list a lower max SPL of 110 compared to 114 for the IN-8.

Very different speaker - 2-way vs. 3-way, likely narrower directivity. I'm surprised they're using the Tulip driver instead of the new Omnimagnet driver. I would expect the new driver is cheaper to make. Omnimagnet has a simpler phase plug and a cloth ring radiator using the same magnet as the woofer. I made some off-axis FR measurement comparisons of the older Tulip driver (System 8 NFM II monitor) and Omnimagnet in my Revolution XT 8F review. TL;DR the old one has more HF extension but the new one has broader upper midrange and treble dispersion. The new one is much flatter as well, but that could be crossover as much as driver.

I'm glad to see Tannoy going back into the studio market though. I'm puzzled they left for so long.

Top Bottom