• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio Appears to Be Releasing a Coaxial Speaker (NAMM video featuring Charles Sprinkle)

Kyle / MrHeeHo

In this video coverage of NAMM Charles Sprinkle talks about the Kali Audio lineup including a new speaker called the IN-8. Couldn't find any other coverage of this speaker yet (my googling skills are bad :p)

I'll edit in @Habu's post since I'm on mobile

Hello from France

8" Coincident Studio Monitor
(Mid-Range surrouding the Tweeter)
Two way size but three-way functionality

8" Woofer
4" Mid-Range
1" Textile Dome Tweeter
100 W Class D Power Amp
US MAP $399
Delivery June 2019

Usually, all the video uploaded to YouTube after 2014, has an automatic English subtitle by default.
If you can see the caption, it’s pretty simple to download it.
In the video description, click on More > Caption > Select language > you’ll see the subtitles, just copy paste it.

Sincerely yours
Habu

Last edited:

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well damn...I have few complaints about the LP-6...looks like a winner.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What's old is new again, coaxial's are all the rage. ;)

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Definitely very interested. I'm looking for an active setup, and remain frustrated that the best coaxs, with the exception of prohibitively expensive Genelecs, are passive - think KEF, ELAC and Technics. Hopefully Kali has a top-tier coax driver, a good active crossover to integrate the tweeter and midwoofer, and hissless electronics (some report the LP-series hisses, others say no).

Habu

Hello from France

8" Coincident Studio Monitor
(Mid-Range surrouding the Tweeter)
Two way size but three-way functionality

8" Woofer
4" Mid-Range
1" Textile Dome Tweeter
100 W Class D Power Amp
US MAP $399
Delivery June 2019

Usually, all the video uploaded to YouTube after 2014, has an automatic English subtitle by default.
If you can see the caption, it’s pretty simple to download it.
In the video description, click on More > Caption > Select language > you’ll see the subtitles, just copy paste it.

Sincerely yours
Habu

OP
K

Kyle / MrHeeHo

Definitely very interested. I'm looking for an active setup, and remain frustrated that the best coaxs, with the exception of prohibitively expensive Genelecs, are passive - think KEF, ELAC and Technics. Hopefully Kali has a top-tier coax driver, a good active crossover to integrate the tweeter and midwoofer, and hissless electronics (some report the LP-series hisses, others say no).
The LSR305 does have that problem too and I was able to reduce the hiss to easy to ignore levels by using a cheap preamp. I also suspect some people complaining about hiss might be doing things like plugging their speakers directly into their motherboard. I hope this won't hiss but it may be a compromise they have to make to reach that price point.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The LP-6 has no noticeable hiss from my listening position. You might hear it on a desk but it's not a desktop size monitor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The KEF LS50 Wireless is fully active
http://us.kef.com/ls50-wireless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The KEF LS50 Wireless is fully active
http://us.kef.com/ls50-wireless

I remain unconvinced they have eliminated the severe anomalies (both measured and heard) in the LS50 passive, based on the rough measurements I saw in Hi-Fi News. I also prefer a 6-inch/165mm midwoofer diameter as the sweet spot. The LS50 lacks the extension and SPL. I only need slightly more bass and SPL than the LS50, but cannot take on a sub in my apartment. I also prefer any wireless capability to be baked into an outboard NAS-attached streamer (ie. separate source) with room correction capability - which is what I intend to explore for my upgrade.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I remain unconvinced they have eliminated the severe anomalies (both measured and heard) in the LS50 passive, based on the rough measurements I saw in Hi-Fi News. I also prefer a 6-inch/165mm midwoofer diameter as the sweet spot. The LS50 lacks the extension and SPL. I only need slightly more bass and SPL than the LS50, but cannot take on a sub in my apartment. I also prefer any wireless capability to be baked into an outboard NAS-attached streamer (ie. separate source) with room correction capability - which is what I intend to explore for my upgrade.

Here you go again with your misinformed obsession to crush the LS50. A normal, polite person would just say it's not their cup of tea and move on. If you can't put a sub in your apartment why don't you move out into your car? You have no accurate way to connect the measurements to which you keep alluding to what you heard, thought you heard or never heard. What qualifications do you have to reach these conclusions? Sounds like you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express to me.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This stereophile measure seems to lack severe anomalies.
1549516801856.png

This plus basic response graphs indicate a bit uptilted response with not enough bass. If I were to use this alone, no sub, I'd suggest a contour of dropping response by 6db from 200 hz to 20,000 hz. I might suggest half that drop if you had a sub to take over the lower 100 hz. That will go a long way to making this sound quite musical.

Or just get a different speaker. Maybe some Neumann KH 120's or something like that. About the same price. Of course the Neumann is an active speaker with its own amps and some contouring adjustments to make the balance suit your preferences/needs.

https://www.amazon.com/Neumann-KH-120-Active-Monitor/dp/B004OA84DM

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I am having severe anomalies. It's time to take two aspirin and see the doctor in the morning. Not enough bass for sure. There is only so much you can do by lowering the response across most of the range because the response is off 3 db @ 79 hz and drops like a rock from 52 hz on down. The LS50w uses some bass equalization, but I don't know exactly how much or where. Still, the port is tuned to 52 hz and after that things dive. A sub is the only real solution. The LS50W has a sub mode and can set a high pass filter on the mains and a sub out with a low pass, if I understand the documents. For that matter, lots of stand mounts benefit from a sub. The main rub is it takes a bunch of effort to get everything working right, especially the first time.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This stereophile measure seems to lack severe anomalies.
View attachment 21483
This plus basic response graphs indicate a bit uptilted response with not enough bass. If I were to use this alone, no sub, I'd suggest a contour of dropping response by 6db from 200 hz to 20,000 hz. I might suggest half that drop if you had a sub to take over the lower 100 hz. That will go a long way to making this sound quite musical.

See here and here and here for data that puts the anomalies in perspective. Note the Stereophile scale is 6dB per division.

Or just get a different speaker. Maybe some Neumann KH 120's or something like that. About the same price. Of course the Neumann is an active speaker with its own amps and some contouring adjustments to make the balance suit your preferences/needs.

https://www.amazon.com/Neumann-KH-120-Active-Monitor/dp/B004OA84DM

The KH120 is the frontrunner currently, but I'm open to a coaxial for broader dispersion vertically. In this thread, the context of my comments was that the LS50 passive has significant anomalies. It is unclear whether the most obvious of these anomalies (directivity notwithstanding), an uptilted listening window response, was settled in the LS50W based on more limited measurements elsewhere. The LS50W has not been measured comprehensively and directly compared with the passive version.

Again some other people intend to derail threads by seizing on even the slightest remarks against the LS50, even when it is not the crux of any comments - the best coaxial drivers on the market not having active electronics to do it justice.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
See here and here and here for data that puts the anomalies in perspective. Note the Stereophile scale is 6dB per division.

The KH120 is the frontrunner currently, but I'm open to a coaxial for broader dispersion vertically. In this thread, the context of my comments was that the LS50 passive has significant anomalies. It is unclear whether the most obvious of these anomalies (directivity notwithstanding), an uptilted listening window response, was settled in the LS50W based on more limited measurements elsewhere. The LS50W has not been measured comprehensively and directly compared with the passive version.

Again some other people intend to derail threads by seizing on even the slightest remarks against the LS50, even when it is not the crux of any comment.
Your links don't support severe anomalies. Some anomalies, but not severe. Plain and simple.

Having heard the passive LS50 extensively with several setups and gear, I find it a bit light or bright sounding on its own. A sub seems to clear it up for the most part. It has many desirable qualities otherwise. This included doing room correction to the LS50. That is where I get the idea of some sloping response if you use it. Raw without room correction maybe the KH120 is better (I've not heard it). The KH120 has a less tilted general trend and more low end going by the measures I've seen. It is subtle, but if everything else is good, subtle tilts matter.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
The manufacturer of the KH120 advertises limited vertical dispersion to minimize reflections off the console, and wide horizontal dispersion to allow movement across the console area.

After reading Dr. Toole's post in the evidence based speaker thread it appears the off axis dispersion bump is not of a significance which would justify one calling the LS50 a bad speaker. There are other things going on. I am all for freedom of speech, but to make repeated flimsy attacks on a highly regarded loudspeaker which is owned by many members of this forum is at best bad judgment, often crossing into rudeness.

tomissoawesome

Forum Donor
Mitchco noticed some anomalies in his recent LS50 shootout on computer audiophile, including a “gentle” upward slope at 2 kHz and a lower DI. It didn’t stop him from writing about the passive LS50 in glowing terms. Even praising it as only the second speaker to hit his target curve in room out of the box.

The repetitive LS50 nitpicking has reached FUD levels and is not productive. It seems a well engineered speaker, particularly at that price. It appears to have some limitations that can be overcome with just a bit of effort.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Well damn...I have few complaints about the LP-6...looks like a winner.

Nor do I. I'm setting them up temporarily in our new living room until the "big boy" speakers are set up, then moving them back to my new studio/lab. My wife is pushing for either the Kalis or the Vanatoos to replace the big speakers, for obvious reasons. She likes both of them and dearly wishes I'd get rid of "those monstrosities.":D

Top Bottom