• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio Appears to Be Releasing a Coaxial Speaker (NAMM video featuring Charles Sprinkle)

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Last edited:

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Very tempting, indeed (and it does look nice). We lack options in the active 3-way coaxials range; anything else than this and Genelec's now defunct 8260?
I hope they solved the nearfield hiss problem they inherited from JBL's LSR serie, though.

Not related at all, but how can the Neumann KH310 do -3 dB @ 34 Hz while being sealed and having a woofer only 0.25" larger than this? Very high excursion?

Another 3 ways option: http://ksaudio.com/ks-digital/c88/c88.html

Another cheap 2 ways: https://www.fluidaudio.com/products/fader-series/fx8.html

and most of the Geithain (https://www.me-geithain.de/en/aktiv-lautsprecher.html) but they are very expensive.

1570958383813.png1570958533928.png1570958956963.png1570958969536.png1570958985153.png

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Didn't know much about KS, looks nice, but SAR measurements of their A300 flagship (https://www.soundandrecording.de/eq...tudiomonitor-mit-firtec-equalization-im-test/) are disappointing, to say the least; especially when they're 2500€ per unit.
Always found Geithain intriguing, but I can find them in any internet store and can't find third-party measurements. They give the important ones, at least, but the SPL/frequency at fixed THD level and cumulative spectral decay are missing.

Severian

Forum Donor
I've always been curious about the Presonus Sceptres, as far as other coax monitor options go.

I am a huge fan of coencentrically or coaxially aligned speakers for home theater. My system consist of only coaxial speakers and the sound stage is immense and holographic.

Enkay25

Guys would pairing Kali Audio LP-8 with my Sabaj D5 be good for a 2.0 setup?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I've always been curious about the Presonus Sceptres, as far as other coax monitor options go.

I have these and wanted to post a "review" and post some in-room measurements here (on-axis vs extreme toe-in), but I'm a lazy bastard. Already have done all the measurements though.

I'm interested in Fluid Audio's upcoming FX50 for surround use, since my couch is just 11-inches from the wall -- certainly too tight for even the Sceptre S6! They'd have to be either attached to the wall or the ceiling.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn't know much about KS, looks nice, but SAR measurements of their A300 flagship (https://www.soundandrecording.de/eq...tudiomonitor-mit-firtec-equalization-im-test/) are disappointing, to say the least; especially when they're 2500€ per unit.
Always found Geithain intriguing, but I can find them in any internet store and can't find third-party measurements. They give the important ones, at least, but the SPL/frequency at fixed THD level and cumulative spectral decay are missing.

Yeah the A300 is a really strange design, using a compression driver without enough loading.

Their entry-level KS C5-Reference is better. It uses a SEAS coaxial (pretty much the best-measuring coax drivers available off-the-shelf; you need proprietary drivers like KEF's to be better). It is +/- 1dB from 250Hz to 9kHz - and this is with unsmoothed anechoic measurements from Sound&Recording magazine. But it's sealed box tuning is a bit peculiar and there are 10kHz and 16kHz high-Q nulls. The 10kHz one fills in off-axis (this can be seen from the normalised polar maps). It is a characteristic of coaxials except KEF's. You can see a similar thing happening for even megabuck coaxs like the TAD Evolution One. ME Geithains are really expensive in comparison. The C5-Ref is about Neumann KH120A money, and you can get a sub to make it esssentially 3-way.

1571032486412.png

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
:mad:
Kali told me late last week that they had shipped to Zzounds, but so far no updates from them.
:facepalm:
;)

helloworld

Sweetwater sent me a message today stating that my Kali IN-8's just shipped...
When you get the speaker, would you please check if there’s any hiss or hum in 0.5m? I want to use this as my PC monitor on my desk. Thanks!

Rockfella

Forum Donor
I love my LP6s. Very musical fun sound.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mitchco noticed some anomalies in his recent LS50 shootout on computer audiophile, including a “gentle” upward slope at 2 kHz and a lower DI. It didn’t stop him from writing about the passive LS50 in glowing terms. Even praising it as only the second speaker to hit his target curve in room out of the box.

The repetitive LS50 nitpicking has reached FUD levels and is not productive. It seems a well engineered speaker, particularly at that price. It appears to have some limitations that can be overcome with just a bit of effort.
I've had the LS 50 passives in my listening room since 2015. There are no severe anomalies. A little bright (and I mean slightly) in the presence region, but nothing that a downward sloping Dirac curve doesn't cure completely.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom