• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JVC HA-SZ1000 Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 92 85.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

peniku8

Forum Donor
Where the wheels come off is on high distortion HP which means the EQ you apply might not be linear, resulting in all manner of unwanted changes.
The distortion is not a factor for the EQ's accuracy - compression is. While they often go hand in hand, I'm pretty sure most headphones behave linearly (enough) to develop a good working EQ at 80dB. This doesn't change the fact, that compression will set in at higher volumes and your headphones will deviate from the target curve again. But this is all stuff that can be measured. I'd sure like to see how a pair of HD650's performed with the bass EQ'd all the way to the Harman target, which is quit a lot.

PeteL

Major Contributor
This is actually how high-end PAs operate (stuff you'll see at Tomorrowland, Wacken or a Taylor Swift concert).
These speakers are tuned for maximum efficiency. The more efficient the speaker is, the louder it can play, but it'll also do so with less distortion.
Yeah lots of innovations in this field. No fear of signal processing. Was at a d&b demo of their soundscape ecosystem last week, Quite impressive, they really are pushing the enveloppe of what’s possible in large space imaging, among other use of DSP of course.

F1308

Major Contributor
Another headphone, same headless panther.

My headphones are announcing they plan to retire soon. Parrot Zik !!!!
I prefer attending via loudspeakers, but at times privacy is a must, so I see myself going DC Stealth, unless you speed up the headphones testing and show an alternative...Cannot be I spend twice as much on a headphone that I did for the synthesiser.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Another headphone, same headless panther.

My headphones are announcing they plan to retire soon. Parrot Zik !!!!
I prefer attending via loudspeakers, but at times privacy is a must, so I see myself going DC Stealth, unless you speed up the headphones testing and show an alternative...Cannot be I spend twice as much on a headphone that I did for the synthesiser.
Why not the DCA Noire?

DWI

A FLAG please for currently available products.

All this review says is that years ago (2014 to 2016 per Amazon reviews) JVC once made a pretty poor pair of headphones.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

All this review says is that years ago (2014 to 2016 per Amazon reviews) JVC once made a pretty poor pair of headphones.
Im pretty sure they still make bad headphones. But maybe some good ones too. Who knows?!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Sennheiser hd650 came out in 2003 and is heck of a lot better.

F1308

Major Contributor
Why not the DCA Noire?
Thank you...
Should be a closed one, using them to avoid disturbing people around...
And the range below it are not reported to align to the Harman Curve by gently boosting bass and treble...

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you...
Should be a closed one, using them to avoid disturbing people around...
And the range below it are not reported to align to the Harman Curve by gently boosting bass and treble...
The Noire is closed. And aligns very closely to Harman.

F1308

Major Contributor
The Noire is closed. And aligns very closely to Harman.
Cheeses....I have been reading their brochure and still thinking they were opened...until I saw some reviews. They are closed as you pointed out. Thanks a lot. Lovely people hereabouts...

DrZingo

What a rollercoaster of a frequency curve. Reminds me of my Sennheiser HD-630vb.

DWI

Im pretty sure they still make bad headphones. But maybe some good ones too. Who knows?!
Sennheiser hd650 came out in 2003 and is heck of a lot better.
A good reason only to review headphones you can actually buy?

JVC over-ear headphones now appear to be almost entirely in the $20 - $100 range, says what you need to know, although they have recently brought out one at $300.

Nango

Major Contributor
These headphones have 2 drivers in it. One 55 mm for bass and a 30mm for mids and highs.
Below a plot measured by ultrabike (Changstar) with a flatbed DIY rig.

ha-sz1000_fra267.png

some background on these... ermm ... transducer thingies .... you can put on your head that appear to be a luxurious item.

These are called 'the real sound series'... In an alternate reality perhaps.

View attachment 200902
Maybe we are all wrong in the way we listen to headphones and they got the clue ..... 2 drivers inside one cup, anyone else with this trick???!! NO???? -> Paradigm change??

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, there are more headphones with more than one driver and all of them have some kind of issues.
for instance:
Nuraphone
Dharma D1000
FAD Sonorous VI (50mm DD + BA)

lewdish

I'm curious as to how the SZ2000 measures because that was supposedly their flagship variant. It was a niche product, but i think both are fulfilling their jobs as products in that bass oriented consumer segment. I recall folks used to say that the SZ2000 was a truly brain rattling sounding product, while not traditionally audiophile in sound (and compliancy) It is something that is just interesting to us as audiophiles. I don't think it needs to meet compliancy, but it seems to meet whatever the overly bass oriented target market was.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Just so that if you research the JVC story at that time, including an interview with the supposed designer/developer of that headphone, there is zero mentioning of bass heads - they really thought this one sounds perfect! That was BS from the start. It was a complete design failure which they admitted later by no longer producing it. They knew it would ruin their reputation in audiophile circles.

DWI

I'm curious as to how the SZ2000 measures because that was supposedly their flagship variant. It was a niche product, but i think both are fulfilling their jobs as products in that bass oriented consumer segment. I recall folks used to say that the SZ2000 was a truly brain rattling sounding product, while not traditionally audiophile in sound (and compliancy) It is something that is just interesting to us as audiophiles. I don't think it needs to meet compliancy, but it seems to meet whatever the overly bass oriented target market was.
That was about the sum of it.

uwotm8

Well well I'd like to hear these. They are possibly worse than my all-time trash reference aka Pioneer Monitor 10R.
There are some objectively bad phones like my KZ (KCringe Zenith) ZST which specifics can be partially joyful but that's not the Pioneer case.

Top Bottom