• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Just scored: bought a pair of PSB Synchrony One towers

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
still PSB has commendable measurable performance that comes close to Salon 2, which in tern is considered one of the best performing speakers
Sorry for Off Topic...

What is your opinion of PSB Synchrony One vs PSB Imagine X2T?
Soundstage measurements:
1604622004091.png

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
I really appreciate Amir including 95-96db distortions in his speaker measurements. I think it is one of the most important attributes a loudspeaker has next to frequency response and dispersion characteristics. Soundstage does and has done a commendable job in this respect as well, allowing us to compare various loudspeakers in as much of a scientific way as possible.

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
So I just hooked these PSB Synchrony Ones up in a different room where the placement is way trickier.

First impressions: Hypex NC400 sounded great until severe compression can be felt compared to my previous set up. Of course, not a fair comparison, we are talking above 93-95db listening levels to my active freely breathing speakers. Bass suffers most.

However, when my Wyred 4 Sound ST-1000 was hooked up (delivers 1140 wats at 4 Ohms 0.2% THD - ICE 1000ASp) everything changed big time. Compression is gone, soundstage opens op with deep bass. No surprise, the speakers go to 2.6 Ohms at around 70hz.

Also no surprise, these feel like a downgrade from my active speaker set up, which play up to 120 db spl with no issues.

Now a few quick subjective notes and measurements.

1. I thought I f-ed up the speakers, sent a level measure tone at around 130-140db spl. My ear almost popped and I thought I lost the speakers. But no, they were ok.

2. with a few tweaks in Roon DSP I am happy. Need to get a rug in my room.

3. waiting for my new McIntosh MC462, hope it can drive these as good as the ICE 1000ASP.

here are a few quick measurements mind the horrible floor bounce, measured at around 1 meter.
2nd photo is distortion at 96spl

85A8CDF6-4C9E-4BE0-BF2C-025DACC8B8F1.jpeg

1607928084043.jpeg

Attachments

• 7D7870EE-CF1D-4F31-BA6A-FDE3A20632E0.jpeg
    7D7870EE-CF1D-4F31-BA6A-FDE3A20632E0.jpeg
    372 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Reactions: YSC

tuga

Major Contributor
I owned the Imagine T2 for a few months.
The "sparkly" colouration of the tweeter was the main reason why I decided to replace them.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

lmaobrah

There's a used pair of Synchrony One selling locally at around $2,000.

Would it be a big upgrade from my current KEF R500?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

Luckily, both Kef R500 and PSB Synchrony One was measured by soundstagenetwork.

Listening Window:
listening.gif

Distortion at 95db:
distortion.gif
They both look very good.
If I had to pick, the PSB looks a bit better (flatter frequency response, more bass, and less distortion).
But I think it's a minor upgrade, not a major one.

raindance

Major Contributor
I hope to try my Pioneers or Focal inverted beryllium tweeters. Of course, crossover issue may arise, but I won’t know if I do not try.
Good luck. You don't have access to the test facilities used in the development of the speakers and you'll have a hard time integrating other tweeters. I suggest keeping them stock, if simplification is truly your goal. Just get some tone controls.

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor

Very hard for me to say, as I have not heard KEF R500. You can look at the measurements, as pointed out above and decide for yourself if it is worth it.

I own KEF R11s also, and I prefer them over the PSB. R11s cost a lot more though. Aesthetically, PSB Synchrony One is beautiful and very well made, better then the R11s I would say.

OP
G

gags11

Forum Donor
Good luck. You don't have access to the test facilities used in the development of the speakers and you'll have a hard time integrating other tweeters. I suggest keeping them stock, if simplification is truly your goal. Just get some tone controls.

I decided against that, they will stay stock

Top Bottom