• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Just realized my power amp input sensitivity is 2.7 Vrms... implications?

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This power amp only has XLR inputs on it, and I have a set of adapters that I use when connecting an AVR to the amp. What are the implications for driving it with AVRs or pre-amps? This seems like a relatively high figure. Or, is it not an issue? It seems from Amir's testing that many AVR pre-outs will be distorting at that output level. My current AVR is Denon AVR-X5200. Gene at AH tested the 5200 and found it to output up to 5 volts over the pre-outs, but no mention of the distortion level. For speakers, I just bought and am using a set of Dynaudio Excite X-44 tower speakers, which Dynaudio specs at 89dB sensitivity.

I do have another power amp which has been tested at about 1.1 volt sensitivity, but it does not have nearly as much power output.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like you are good with what you have.

Gene actually said it put out 4.5 volts unclipped on all preamp outs. So needing at most 2.7 volts for max power should keep distortion plenty low for your purposes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom