• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Just moved and finally can have a headphone listening room. Pics of my insanity inside.

Gadget Goober

Forum Donor
The 11th hour on the 12th of never, lost in space.
No, the wife hasn't divorced me... yet. But she did walk in and say "wow" and left. It wasn't a great "wow", either LOL

I'm a collector of the bizarre for aesthetics, and/or what sounds good to me at a reasonable price, not necessarily the pricy. We recently moved and I've been able to start a new headphone listening room, and I still have many more hooks to hang for many more cans. Most are not top end, but all are dear to me. My favorites are my AKG k444 that I converted to bluetooth, (I like it for the aesthetics, it's just a piece of it's time). The 6xx is my favorite all-rounder, but the AKG k240 DF is catching up. For moderns, the SV-004 and the Fischer Jubilate 64's are mighty awesome and took me by surprise, and the KPH-30is are my portable choice. The Pioneer A-1000's are okay sometimes.

(The Sonic Pro-26's next to the Pioneer SE-L40's are SURPRISINGLY great sounding. Dare I say, they sound better than what they're trying to copy.)

Many of the ones without cables are either converted to balanced with detachable cables or bluetooth. Yet others WERE bluetooth, but my curious side converted them to wired. Hit and miss. The balanced ones are usually higher impedance cans, only to achieve a more suitable volume level when used on the go with my Fiio and A/K devices. I made a pair of portapros balanced as well when I converted them to be detachable. I was in there anyway, may as well do the thing since they're dual input.

Attachments

• IMG_20210312_190913041.png
    IMG_20210312_190913041.png
    946.1 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_20210312_190920104.png
    IMG_20210312_190920104.png
    945 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_20210312_191247218.png
    IMG_20210312_191247218.png
    945.8 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_20210312_191413395.png
    IMG_20210312_191413395.png
    946.8 KB · Views: 588
OP
Gadget Goober

Gadget Goober

Forum Donor
My apologies, I just saw the "kit we own" sticky - I didn't fully grasp the title's meaning and didn't realize it was sticky til my post appeared below it, I thought it was a personal post, not an invite to post there. Please feel free to delete or move my post there if needed... I'm very sorry.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No, the wife hasn't divorced me... yet. But she did walk in and say "wow" and left. It wasn't a great "wow", either LOL

I'm a collector of the bizarre for aesthetics, and/or what sounds good to me at a reasonable price, not necessarily the pricy. We recently moved and I've been able to start a new headphone listening room, and I still have many more hooks to hang for many more cans. Most are not top end, but all are dear to me. My favorites are my AKG k444 that I converted to bluetooth, (I like it for the aesthetics, it's just a piece of it's time). The 6xx is my favorite all-rounder, but the AKG k240 DF is catching up. For moderns, the SV-004 and the Fischer Jubilate 64's are mighty awesome and took me by surprise, and the KPH-30is are my portable choice. The Pioneer A-1000's are okay sometimes.

(The Sonic Pro-26's next to the Pioneer SE-L40's are SURPRISINGLY great sounding. Dare I say, they sound better than what they're trying to copy.)

Many of the ones without cables are either converted to balanced with detachable cables or bluetooth. Yet others WERE bluetooth, but my curious side converted them to wired. Hit and miss. The balanced ones are usually higher impedance cans, only to achieve a more suitable volume level when used on the go with my Fiio and A/K devices. I made a pair of portapros balanced as well when I converted them to be detachable. I was in there anyway, may as well do the thing since they're dual input.
This reminds me of a guy I met. He had a sneakers collection in a room. Colorful, leather smelling brand new unworn sneakers in all shapes, sizes and brand names. It was pretty cool and so is your collection of headphones. :D

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

What is your basis for organizing them? Is it preference? Alphabetical? Random :eek:?

OP
Gadget Goober

Gadget Goober

Forum Donor
What is your basis for organizing them? Is it preference? Alphabetical? Random :eek:?

I guess aesthetically, I have my most favorite ones in line of sight as I walk in the room. Although I love them all lol. How about this: I organized them cognitively, and tried to group the colors, but didn't have a particular methodology, if that makes sense. Considered going by era, but it didn't look great when I started LOL.

Yeah, I'm a little OCD.

dmac6419

Major Contributor

I see those Blons BL30, modified em with a hifiman headband

Attachments

• 20210207_094400.jpg
    20210207_094400.jpg
    901.5 KB · Views: 171

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I think I see Futura in there.

OP
Gadget Goober

Gadget Goober

Forum Donor
I see those Blons BL30, modified em with a hifiman headband

OMG, nice eye, man! Yes, Blon BL30's, and I'm so glad you posted that pic - I had HELL trying to get these bent to my ears on arrival. Seems like everyone had that issue.

I've been putting 70mm paper cone drivers in my blown vintage cans for ages. So when Blon said they had the first commercially available 70mm modern driver, I gave them a shot. They sound pretty damn nice, but a better headband is a must. I will look into your idea, it seems fantastic! Thank you!

OP
Gadget Goober

Gadget Goober

Forum Donor
I think I see Futura in there.

Yes, sure is, great eye! I have two pairs - one came with matching microphones and is still in plastic wrap. Was bought from White's auto parts stores, and came in a kit with a crappy turntable too, from what I've read.

I have crazy and unreasonable DIY plans for those, which is why I bought two pairs, one to mod and one to keep.

I don't mod for sound quality, I mod for fun and a ridiculous art factor, I suppose.

Wombat

Master Contributor

More like a headphone looking room. ;)

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Nice to see the HiFiMan HE4XX rightfully earning their place on the top row.

OP
Gadget Goober

Gadget Goober

Forum Donor
Nice to see the HiFiMan HE4XX rightfully earning their place on the top row.

Agreed. And also in line of sight when I enter in. They're awesome cans, one of the best acquisitions for price I've had so far. Cheers man . These are another that I needed to go balanced/ 4.4 pentaconn with, I just cut the end off the stock plug and soldered on a 4.4... I take them out every now and again at work with my Fiio m11 and the added power helps them sing for sure.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Yes, sure is, great eye! I have two pairs - one came with matching microphones and is still in plastic wrap. Was bought from White's auto parts stores, and came in a kit with a crappy turntable too, from what I've read.

I have crazy and unreasonable DIY plans for those, which is why I bought two pairs, one to mod and one to keep.

I don't mod for sound quality, I mod for fun and a ridiculous art factor, I suppose.
https://www.adorama.com/hmhb560.html
The picture on their site is wrong it's the one in my photo.

OP
Gadget Goober

Gadget Goober

Forum Donor
Fun collection. What are those bright yellow cans? They look anti-human :D

Lol! They reminded me of Pac-Man, which is why I picked them up. Surprisingly great shape, almost new, even have the plastic carry case (also yellow). They are uncomfortable as all hell... It's a Soundlite HR-6 AM radio headset, but I've removed the guts and replaced it with a small 1w bluetooth Rx/amp combo, wired it up to existing switches and knobs, replaced tuner with a pot, and swapped nasty paper drivers for Koss RTXpro drivers (I suppose same as the Portapro's, just titanium coated) , just for fun. They sound.... well, horrendous. LOL

Even nuttier is my Panasonic RF-60 AM/FM headset, you look like marvin the martian when wearing it. Weighs like 5 pounds, almost solid metal, aerials that reach 4 foot high, it's nuts. If I ever come across a mint condition one, I'm snapping it up. They're really, really hard to come by.

Top Bottom