• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Just bought UMIK-1.. eq/room correction options?

OP1M.DR3M

Forum Donor
Total eq newb here..

Just bought a UMIK-1, tried the SPL meter option and ran a few sweeps on REW from listening position; that's all. Not sure what to make of the results. Looks like a peak at ~55Hz and a dip at ~125Hz?.... (see graph below)

For some reason I thought Dirac Live was something I could use as software eq/room correction on my MacBook, but it seems like I also need a piece of Dirac Live compatible hardware like MiniDSP or appropriate receiver/integrated amp.. is that correct? I know Roon has built in eq but I don't like the user experience so it's not worth it to me.

What are my options? I was thinking I could get a RME ADI-2 DAC FS and manually eq with that based on REW measurements. Also interested in the MiniDSP SHD Studio https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd-studio
What would the pros/cons of either method be? Seems like Dirac Live is more automated but then you can go in and also tweak things manually. Are there ways to create filters (I don't know if this is the right terminology) in REW and load them on to the RME? Are there other measurement software I should be aware of? Is there any eq-only software for Mac?

My current setup: MacBook Pro --> Schiit Modius --> SMSL DA-8S --> Focal Aria 906

Appreciate you all :D

Aria 906 - Direct.jpg

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
For some reason I thought Dirac Live was something I could use as software eq/room correction on my MacBook, but it seems like I also need a piece of Dirac Live compatible hardware like MiniDSP or appropriate receiver/integrated amp.. is that correct?
No. You can run DL on your MacBook but the current versions require that the playback software supports the VST plug-ins for the correction data that DL generates. I use Jriver for this but there are other music players that support VST.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't know anything about Macs.

JRiver is a media library software with many facilities, including Parametric EQ (PEQ) filters, which is available in a Mac version.

PEQ filters can be targeted exactly to the problems you have in your frequency response (FR).

For example in your FR, the peak you have at around 58Hz of 14dB with a width (sometimes known as Q) of 40Hz to 80Hz can be exactly attacked. Using REW to measure and generate the parameters of each filter, you can then manually apply them with JRiver. It requires a certain amount of computer processing power when you play the music.

It should be pointed out that solving the problems of the interaction of your speakers with your room (which is what your FR describes) is a lot more complicated then just applying PEQ filters to flatten the FR. There's a lot to understand and the ideal includes being able to move your speakers and listening chair about as well as using room treatment (bass traps etc.). DSP/EQ is then used to complete the task. However many people who can't do all these things have had success using DSP/EQ on its own.

The key is to concentrate on the 0-500Hz region. Sort that out and the mid and higher frequencies will be revealed in all their glory!

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can, like they write above, use REW to create filters and export them to a software like JRiver. You can also use REW to simulate the effect of a manual PEQ and just punch that one in said software.

My choice would be Minidsp SHD Studio/SHD depending on if you need a dac as well because Dirac is freakin awesome, automated and extremely easy to achieve good results compared to manual fiddling. It will also let you have room correction for other sources than just the computer due to being a standalone box.

I have the Dirac Live software and Audiolense software on my computer, but don't really use them because I switch too often between pc playback, tv, YouTube via TV app etc. Therefore I use manual EQ via a Hypex DLCP pre/dsp/dac, but there's no question that Dirac/Audiolense provide better results within 5 minutes than I am capable of for hours of manual EQ.

If you only were to use PC playback and would prefer software, I'd pick Audiolense.
It's more configurable and advanced, yet is much faster to re-measure and create new filters. Higher user-threshold in the beginning, but the creator is very helpful and you can also hire advanced users like @mitchco to help and/or create filters for you.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What are my options? I was thinking I could get a RME ADI-2 DAC FS and manually eq with that based on REW measurements.
Are there ways to create filters (I don't know if this is the right terminology) in REW and load them on to the RME?
Technically yes. Practically you will be limited by the 5 bands of the RME.
Might be enough to compensate for the meanest room mode @55Hz.

Personally, I wasn't in the mood to fiddle with filters for hours/days/weeks and just opted for the Dirac Live processor, since my PC is the source of 95% of all sounds in my home. A combination of Voicemeeter potato and Cantabile made system wide correction easy.

Reactions: wje
Top Bottom