• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

July 4 2020 Coronavirus Be Damned Road Trip

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
1594407212152.png

Riverview to Lake House on Richland Chambers Reservoir in Corscana TX

Vehicle: 2019 Camry 2.5L with all the eco features

Car Radio: kinda lame, the standard version. Speakers in the bottoms of the doors.

Has apps for NPR and iHeart and such, but forgot I'd have to login and forgot the logins.

So, FM listening along the way to whatever local flavors were available.

You don't want to ride with me, I'm brutal to the passengers:

1594407471639.png

68.87mph average

Ooh, dats a new record...

---

First gas stop in Milton FL, at a busy Food Mart station. Maybe 30 people in and outside, only one wearing a mask, with an FDOT shirt (Florida Department of Transportation). Other stops, better adherence to the new personal safety standards.

---

House has TV in a corner of the living room, with tiny little speakers attached flat to the north and west facing walls. There's a tiny soundbar under the TV, that may or may not have been working, and a tiny one-note sub someplace,

Owner is from England, watches BBC with a subscription.

So, some Glastonbury concerts were viewed.

I embarrassed myself by not recognizing David Bowie on one...

1594407851845.png

I was recognizing some songs, and wondering why there would be such a big production for some group doing "cover tunes".

Food and service was good.

Another attendee brought some nice teenagers to look at.

I could feel not guilty since two of the three weren't his...

My guest room was missing it's TV. Oh no... I'm accustomed to TV'ing to sleep...

So I bought a 32" HiSense Roku TV for $109 and left it with them. Of course, the audio was not up to standards, but it provided the proper amount of mind-numbing. The screen isn't really bright, either, but it works well enough. Ordered it from WalMart, with curbside pickup. Felt foolish asking whether it had built-in wifi or not. the delivery girl was like, well, duh!, they all do now.

Fireworks were provided.

High points were when the male teen fired two mortars at once, where the first one knocked over the second, which fired directly away from us but sent the launch pipe flying at the attendees. That was repeated when the launch table fell over and a similar action/reaction occurred.

Then the Roman Candle war ensued.

I slow-cooked ribs and later fast-cooked steaks on their gas/charcoal smoker (used charcoal).

The trip back wasn't quite as speedy. Had to take 2 hours for a nap.

Also had to buy a gallon of gas to be sure we got home. Misjudged the mid-trip fuel point by 15 miles. Wanted to fill at my usual station after returning.

1594410912905.png

1594408948576.png

65.95 mph

Looks like the Google Timeline only counts driving hours, not the stops.

Fuel Economy:

1594409770060.png

Data overload for anyone who cares:

1594410067680.png

And despite all that, made my weekly pittance on YMU20.

Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
American Dream: Road Trip. Already social distance of a kind.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I overtook a vehicle at night on the Interstate.

Its running lights were visibly dimming with an odd rhythm.

While passing, realized it was due to his subwoofer power draw..

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I can understand why someone would want to leave Florida, but not why they'd go to Texas.

No State Income Tax in either would be one valid reason to reside in either state.

Texas is a little higher on property taxes, though.

1594431554808.png

And, they have a nice get away from it all location...

Front yard:

1594431882863.png

Last edited:

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No State Income Tax in either would be one valid reason to reside in either state.

Texas is a little higher on property taxes, though.

No income tax is nice, but 100F pretty much every day for about two months in the summer (three months?) is annoying enough to not mind paying at least a modest (3-5%) income tax.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No income tax is nice, but 100F pretty much every day for about two months in the summer (three months?) is annoying enough to not mind paying at least a modest (3-5%) income tax.
Cali has 13.3% is that because of the nicer year round weather?

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Record high where I live was over 106 degrees. I was working at a warehouse at the time. Corrugated tin, large, one roll up door, no windows, and no fan. I was young. I remember walking outside and it seemed so cool (at over 100 degrees). My car had AC, but I didn't use it going home because after being in the warehouse all day it seemed too cold. Then again, maybe the heat had cooked my brain by the end of each day. I seem to remember during that stretch of hot weather it didn't get below 80 degrees at any time for something like 12 or 13 days. But I guess such is nearly common in parts of Texas.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Lake House not so good this week...

1594435111464.png

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Hottest I remember was while temporarily working a remote phone site in Newberry Springs, California.

115 degrees outside, 70 degrees in the equipment room.

When I opened the door to leave a dust devil took the doorknob out of my hand and blew me back inside.

Sweat instantly evaporated... 9% humidity noted in the forecast below.

1594435445785.png

Wow... 7:45pm local time:

1594435561423.png

I was staying in Big Bear... much nicer on top of the mountains,

1594435647884.png

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Cali has 13.3% is that because of the nicer year round weather?
When I lived there, I used to say that a good portion of our huge mortgage payment was paying for the weather!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Wow... 7:45pm local time:
Central california gets super hot but fortunately it is dry heat so it is not quite comparable to what you get in Florida.

In Silicon Valley and San Diego where we lived in the past, we would routinely get 115 degrees or so when Santa Ana winds would come.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Burning up in Houston. Just read the news about the virus. Ready or not the end is near, time to get out of here...

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Central california gets super hot but fortunately it is dry heat so it is not quite comparable to what you get in Florida.

We tried to play tennis one day after work in The Woodlands (a little north of Houston).

Had to give up and go to Papa's Ice House since the court became dangerously slippery with our non-evaporating sweat.

1594436347032.png

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tampa has never had an official 100 degree high...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_the_Tampa_Bay_area

"Highs usually range between 65 and 95 °F (18 and 35 °C) year round. Tampa's official high has never reached 100 °F (38 °C) – the city's all-time record temperature is 99 °F (37 °C). St. Petersburg's all-time record high is exactly 100 °F (38 °C)."

View attachment 72766

The summer clouds effectively moderate the direct sun blast...

I was referring to Texas.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's been in the 90's for 8 days straight here in the Buffalo area of New York State, which is a new record for consecutive days of 90 or higher.
Yesterday was 98, another record for the day, and the humidity was also very high. Hottest it has ever been here is 99.
Since it feels like winter here lasts about 10 months out of the year, I don't usually complain about the hot weather, but yesterday at work I felt like a melting chocolate bar, lol.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It looks like Toyota has improved their fuel economy measurements. Compared to my fill MPG, my 2012 Lexus consistently reports about 2mpg optimistic. At least that's what a refresher of the data tells me. I haven't been to a gas station since the second week of March!

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I haven't been to a gas station since the second week of March!

Yeah, me too, March 16.

Filled June 30 in preparation for the trip, had gone 296 miles during that span, and still showed an optimistic 1/2 tank on the gauge.

Between coronavirus and no place to be anyway, 2.8 miles a day average, a record low.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Burning up here - highs in the mid 80s

Top Bottom