• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JTR Subs for HiFi and Music Primarily

danielmiessler

Forum Donor
Hey all,

I'm looking for some subs to pair with a Genelec active-monitor-based HiFi system.

I'm using Genelec 8351B's for left, right, (and center for HT), and am looking to get some really nice subs to go with them.

I'm going to be running everything through the Storm MkII processor, which includes DIRAC, so that I can make sure the bass is well integrated and not boomy or overpowering.

The question is: For something like the JTR RS2 (Two 18" Woofers), are they "fast" and "clean" enough to be great for HiFi?

Like, I'm sure they'll rock for explosions in HT and such, but I want a really clean, understated, bass foundation for 2-channel music. Basically, something that fully blends into the music and doesn't call attention to itself---but with massive headroom.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fast is meaningless but they have measured very well, I wouldn't hesitate if you can afford them. Excellent subs. Nonsense that some subs are better for music IMO. A good sub is a good sub, it doesn't care what you play.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The RS2 has not been measured, but Audioholics measured the RS1 and it's fantastic in every respect. All JTR subs measured to date have been extremely well-engineered. I would not expect any problems. especially with the excellent integration provided by a Storm processor.

I will also add that the measurements of their ported subs are excellent as well, since they mostly have port tunings below 20hz. So if you wanted that extra output sub-20hz for HT feel, they would be fine for music too.

You could get matching genelec subs.

He has a Storm processor, which has better bass management than GLM, so there's no point to paying the premium for Genelec subs.

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I would strongly encourage you to get dual subs, especially if you’re thinking of JTR subs with 18” drivers. There are a lot of well-engineered and measured subs. My ‘subwoofer comparison’ post should help anyone find one.

I would buy 4 of JTR RS2’s if only my budget allowed. A man can dream... :)

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
I would strongly encourage you to get dual subs, especially if you’re thinking of JTR subs with 18” drivers. There are a lot of well-engineered and measured subs. My ‘subwoofer comparison’ post should help anyone find one.

I would buy 4 of JTR RS2’s if only my budget allowed. A man can dream... :)
I can’t load your spreadsheet on my iPad Pro. It just hangs. How many JTR’s top your list?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can’t load your spreadsheet on my iPad Pro. It just hangs. How many JTR’s top your list?

If you sort by 10hz output, the top 4 are all JTR ported subs, and the old version of the RS2(S2) is #6, only barely beaten by the Funk Audio 24"(!). That said, there are lots of subs without a CEA2010 test.

AdamG

Forum Donor
I use the RS2 almost exclusively for music with my 8351b speakers and they work excellently. The speakers give up before the subs do.
Yeah I have dual JTR 2400ULF Caps and I never knew subs could go from gentle smooth, to shaking my concrete slab like a tuning fork. Actually scary the output and depth of these.

AdamG

Forum Donor
If you sort by 10hz output, the top 4 are all JTR ported subs, and the old version of the RS2(S2) is #6, only barely beaten by the Funk Audio 24"(!). That said, there are lots of subs without a CEA2010 test.
Thank you for the reply. Appreciate the effort. I don’t know why the spreadsheet won’t load/open. Will have to take a look on my laptop tomorrow.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Thank you for the reply. Appreciate the effort. I don’t know why the spreadsheet won’t load/open. Will have to take a look on my laptop tomorrow.
Sorry, I can't test it to try to duplicate what you're seeing, since I don't have an iPad.
I use Macbook and Windows 10 and the spreadsheet works fine.

AdamG

Forum Donor
Sorry, I can't test it to try to duplicate what you're seeing, since I don't have an iPad.
It opens fine, but never populates. It’s a new iPad Pro with 500 gigs memory. So much for Apple’s claim it’s the new laptop replacement.

AdamG

Forum Donor
File opened fine on PC. If you sort by 10Hz JTR takes 5 out of top ten and holds the top four spots. Mighty fine work, lots of data in there for anyone to make a decision. Excellent contribution ->
sweetchaos

nerdoldnerdith

Hey all,

I'm looking for some subs to pair with a Genelec active-monitor-based HiFi system.

I'm using Genelec 8351B's for left, right, (and center for HT), and am looking to get some really nice subs to go with them.

I'm going to be running everything through the Storm MkII processor, which includes DIRAC, so that I can make sure the bass is well integrated and not boomy or overpowering.

The question is: For something like the JTR RS2 (Two 18" Woofers), are they "fast" and "clean" enough to be great for HiFi?

Like, I'm sure they'll rock for explosions in HT and such, but I want a really clean, understated, bass foundation for 2-channel music. Basically, something that fully blends into the music and doesn't call attention to itself---but with massive headroom.

If you're going to be using them exclusively for music, Rythmik, PSA, or Funk Audio might be a little bit better. JTR subs are designed for ridiculous amounts of output, perhaps slightly at the expense of precision. All will give you massive amounts of headroom. There's really no way to get clean, well-integrated bass with any of these subwoofers without leaving massive amounts of headroom unless you're trying to blow out your hearing.

onion

I'd have got JTR if there wasn't a 6 month wait time and import issues getting them into the UK. I got a lower tier pair of subs - SVS SB16s. These are fantastic for music as well as movies. I'd expect JTR subs to be better

OP
danielmiessler

danielmiessler

Forum Donor
If you're going to be using them exclusively for music, Rythmik, PSA, or Funk Audio might be a little bit better. JTR subs are designed for ridiculous amounts of output, perhaps slightly at the expense of precision.
That's what I was worried about, but someone else said here they'd be great for music, and that they have a pair of them and they're fantastic as HiFi subs.

nerdoldnerdith

That's what I was worried about, but someone else said here they'd be great for music, and that they have a pair of them and they're fantastic as HiFi subs.
There's no doubt that they would be great for music. All I am saying is that if you are going to be using them exclusively for music, there may be better options. For example, four smaller subs will be better than two JTR's. The Rythmik F18 is very, very good for music.

Top Bottom