• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JTR Noesis 212RT Measurements

tuga

Major Contributor
CUap6Jf.png

hzYYNF9.png

GbhGm2B.png

FNo115n.png

VqxlfDi.png

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lovely sound of a french horn:
These speakers could be perfect for the Double Horn Double Bell. Perhaps you could even "tune" the speaker by sticking your hand in it - just as with a French Horn! (Just being humorous - I would be curious to see the results of Klippel measurement - which is not going to happen Wow- it might happen? - or double blind preference testing.)

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Manufacturer has already contacted me. :)
Chicago is a long way from Seattle - will it be a loaner from a local PNW owner? Or is he going to actually ship ~140+ pounds back and forth just for testing?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You mean a Gueddes waveguide?
The manufacturer calls it a horn.

http://jtrspeakers.com/noesis-212rt.html

Geddes didn't invent the constant directivity waveguide, nor is his version the only possible one (valuable as his contribution was to the field of throat design for horns coupled to compression drivers).

The Geddes waveguide is in fact focused on minimising diffraction at the horn throat. It actually isn't the optimal design for directivity control, which is far more related to mouth geometry - an area Geddes did not give as much thought to (and indeed this shows in the measurements).

This JTR horn is in line with research on constant directivity horn design, albeit not the most cutting-edge research today. See for example Johansen (1994).

Having said that, my biggest concern about these beasts would be their vertical dispersion. Eyeballing these, I'd guess a C2C distance of around 35cm, which is large for a D'Appolito-style 2-way, even if crossed over as low as 500Hz.

I do wonder if the quasi-spinorama measurements shown in the review is based on both horizontal and vertical measurements, or whether it's based only on the horizontal measurements. If the vertical dispersion were also taken into account, I would have expected a bump in the DI / dip in the power response centred at 500Hz owing to the crossover.

OP
Jon AA

Jon AA

Forum Donor
Having said that, my biggest concern about these beasts would be their vertical dispersion. Eyeballing these, I'd guess a C2C distance of around 35cm, which is large for a D'Appolito-style 2-way, even if crossed over as low as 500Hz.
That's a good point. It may be the reason they are crossed as low as they are, even though as Matthew points out horizontal directivity could have possibly been made a bit more smooth in that region if crossed higher.

OP
Jon AA

Jon AA

Forum Donor
Chicago is a long way from Seattle - will it be a loaner from a local PNW owner? Or is he going to actually ship ~140+ pounds back and forth just for testing?
Could be worse, the 215RT's are 215 lbs. :eek:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I suspect they will ship one. Cost of doing business so not a big issue for a company.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
You need to learn to ignore clowns @Jon AA
This is not really helpful, we must avoid this kind of personal attack .

I know some characters can be frustrating but we don't want to be bringing ourselves down to this level.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'd be curious to see how the Klippel would handle a speaker that big.
It might be tricky. I have the 2 meter extension for the Klippel but I don't know if I have enough ceiling height to go that high.

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It might be tricky. I have the 2 meter extension for the Klippel but I don't know if I have enough ceiling height to go that high.
Guess you have no choice but to start some work on the garage...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Good grief:

View attachment 59356

I may need to hire someone just to lift the darn thing onto measurement gear!
Get to the gym, or have Savage come by to help. LOL

Nobody is disputing there's probably some diffraction/reflections going on with the horn causing those ripples. Matthew even mentions that in the review. It's everything Tuga said about them that's wrong.
Jon, forgive my ignorance but what is the speaker in your avatar?

Haint

What does the comparatively wide gap between the DI curves suggest?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What does the comparatively wide gap between the DI curves suggest?

The quite directional (60° x 60°) waveguide and the wide baffle mean that very little sound above about 400-ish Hz projects rearward.

The early reflections DI is contributed to by the front wall, back wall, side wall, and floor and ceiling reflections. The floor and ceiling bounce, as well as the back wall and lateral reflections, are all within +/-60°. It's only the front wall reflection that falls outside this angle. In other words, the early reflections DI is heavily skewed towards the +/-60° window.

Contrast that with the power response DI, which equally weights the speaker's output in all directions.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Heard the monitor version of these which were placed on top of JTR's captivators at a friend's house in Holland - very nice stuff. I suspected they'd measure well and it looks to be the case. Would be interesting to see how they'd do on the NFS, but I'm not suspecting huge surprises. Jeff P. has never shied away from 3rd party measurements of his products which is something I appreciate.

tuga

Major Contributor
It's a DIYSG HTM-8. SEOS 90 degree horn, which is excellent IMHO.

Judging from these measurements the SEOS should be an immensely better performer than the pyramidal horn of the JRT.
Do you get this much treble roll-off?

seos10.jpg

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Judging from these measurements the SEOS should be an immensely better performer than the pyramidal horn of the JRT.
Do you get this much treble roll-off?

seos10.jpg

The treble roll-off is compensated for the in the crossover.

Top Bottom