• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jriver stability

ehabheikal

On my pc Jriver is very unstable, crashes maybe once a day.
Has anybody experienced this? Should I look elsewhere for audiophile software?

Tom C

Major Contributor
I have my own problems, mostly related to my own ignorance and inexperience. But it has never hung or crashed on me, and I’ve run it on several devices, including a raspberry pi 4, which is rather low power compared to a desktop. Do you have antivirus software running? The JRiver wiki says it’s common to have problems stemming from that.
There is freeware out there that runs pretty good. Not as full featured, but runs. It would cost you nothing but time to try one of those to see if there’s a problem. I like Kodi, myself.
If you have the patience and the interest, look at the JRiver wiki for instructions on how to run a log and post it to them. They will look it over and try to help you run the problem down.

OP
E

ehabheikal

I have my own problems, mostly related to my own ignorance and inexperience. But it has never hung or crashed on me, and I’ve run it on several devices, including a raspberry pi 4, which is rather low power compared to a desktop. Do you have antivirus software running? The JRiver wiki says it’s common to have problems stemming from that.
There is freeware out there that runs pretty good. Not as full featured, but runs. It would cost you nothing but time to try one of those to see if there’s a problem. I like Kodi, myself.
If you have the patience and the interest, look at the JRiver wiki for instructions on how to run a log and post it to them. They will look it over and try to help you run the problem down.
Which antivirus do you use?

OP
E

ehabheikal

if i find a way to stream qobuz full rez to the pi 4 could put one as a player and pimp it

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I use JRiver, just as a music library, on Windows 8 playing offline and in seven years I've only had a couple of problems which may have been due to Windows, and that was in the earlier days.

Pluto

Forum Donor
Should I look elsewhere for audiophile software?
JRMC is one of the most stable pieces of software I have encountered. I concur with the view that you must allow it fairly free rein as far as security software is concerned; you may confidently permit it to do anything it desires. Likewise, make certain that every module that so desires is allowed to access the network (i.e. not only the main executable). Failure to do this can cause all manner of internal confusion within the software and is a likely cause of apparently random hangs/crashes.

Tks

Major Contributor
Started all with versions after 26.0.8X

JRiver can't even stay operational simply firing up the Media Server. After a few hours or something even with nothing playing, nor any music being requested or anything. It will just crash.

Another issue (but this has been the case for any version I've ever used) is if you're "Analyzing" your music, and you choose something to the tune of 10K to 100K tracks (or more maybe), it will crashing randomly after a while. Also the operation itself doesn't seem to be clearing the cache or something while the Analyze window is up and showing progress. After about 20K tracks, the analyze speed starts to slowly tank.

Thinking I might go back to foobar, but boy will it be a downgrade aesthetically with how I have JRiver setup preferentially and such.

I hope one of these versions they'll consider a code rewrite or something, cleaning up odd parts here and there. Don't know of any other program that comes close to it's breadth at such cost.

EDIT: Before anyone tells me about anti-virus software or anything.. Please don't, I've been running my computer with such for over a deacade, and my Windows 10 is basically as sterilized as can be (I recall going into group policy edits to where the only way to get Cortana back would be to reinstall the OS, I went that hard on disabling anything I wouldn't be using). Running Enterprise Edition as well just to make sure I have granularity, but one thing that even Enterprise can't stop are these godforsaken Windows Updates. I honestly don't understand how this isn't illegal. There's no way to stop these without completely nuking other parts of the OS.

Pluto

Forum Donor
If you really can locate a stability collapse that precisely, you must be able to demonstrate something to take back to them. I suspect they would be delighted to be given enough clues to help locate and fix such an obscure problem.

OP
E

ehabheikal

JRiver can't even stay operational simply firing up the Media Server. After a few hours or something even with nothing playing, nor any music being requested or anything. It will just crash.

Another issue (but this has been the case for any version I've ever used) is if you're "Analyzing" your music, and you choose something to the tune of 10K to 100K tracks (or more maybe), it will crashing randomly after a while. Also the operation itself doesn't seem to be clearing the cache or something while the Analyze window is up and showing progress. After about 20K tracks, the analyze speed starts to slowly tank.

Thinking I might go back to foobar, but boy will it be a downgrade aesthetically with how I have JRiver setup preferentially and such.

I hope one of these versions they'll consider a code rewrite or something, cleaning up odd parts here and there. Don't know of any other program that comes close to it's breadth at such cost.

EDIT: Before anyone tells me about anti-virus software or anything.. Please don't, I've been running my computer with such for over a deacade, and my Windows 10 is basically as sterilized as can be (I recall going into group policy edits to where the only way to get Cortana back would be to reinstall the OS, I went that hard on disabling anything I wouldn't be using). Running Enterprise Edition as well just to make sure I have granularity, but one thing that even Enterprise can't stop are these godforsaken Windows Updates. I honestly don't understand how this isn't illegal. There's no way to stop these without completely nuking other parts of the OS.

I do not understand exactly what you mean by this?
Running Enterprise Edition as well just to make sure I have granularity, but one thing that even Enterprise can't stop are these godforsaken Windows Updates.
I am an IT guy ( well web development and hosting on linux mostly ) so i want to know :)

OP
E

ehabheikal

Find a version that work,if it's working the way you want it don't update it.

I agree 100% yes, but the temptation of updating that version because it might improve sound quality etc is the same temptation that makes me read here to find a better amp/speaker etc lol

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it related to importing a large audio collection to its library? If yes, have you tried disabling analyze audio or lookup lyrics?

Last edited:
OP
E

ehabheikal

Is it related to importing a large audio connection to its library? If yes, have you tried disabling analyze audio or lookup lyrics?
No it usually kicks in while playing a song, and jriver becomes totally unresponsive.
I am using AMD not intel CPU
Maybe it is not optimized for AMD

OP
E

ehabheikal

Is it related to importing a large audio connection to its library? If yes, have you tried disabling analyze audio or lookup lyrics?
I think it is more related to the exclusive access i enable to dac, such low level driver stuff to take control of hardware is hard and tricky.

Tks

Major Contributor
If you really can locate a stability collapse that precisely, you must be able to demonstrate something to take back to them. I suspect they would be delighted to be given enough clues to help locate and fix such an obscure problem.

I can't locate it at all, just saying when the crashing for me started.

I do not understand exactly what you mean by this?
Running Enterprise Edition as well just to make sure I have granularity, but one thing that even Enterprise can't stop are these godforsaken Windows Updates.
I am an IT guy ( well web development and hosting on linux mostly ) so i want to know :)

Certain group policies can't be messed with in the Pro and Home versions. If your company has Enterprise maybe you can bother them to let you run it on your local machine and tinker more with the IS than you usually can. I haven't looked at differences in a while, though I am sure you can easily find more with a Google search.

Tks

Major Contributor
Is it related to importing a large audio collection to its library? If yes, have you tried disabling analyze audio or lookup lyrics?

I have my audio mode only with the most basic functionality. Scans only certain folders, never lyrics, and that's pretty much it. For me it's fortunately large imports, large analyze audio scans, large external cover references (my artwork is all embedded in a low 500px resolution but I like to have the full size copy also for JRiver to use as thumbnails), scanning for a large amount of those (basic Quick Find since they're all named "folder.jpg") will also crash if I do too many (even if I sometimes already have done albums prior).

No it usually kicks in while playing a song, and jriver becomes totally unresponsive.
I am using AMD not intel CPU
Maybe it is not optimized for AMD

Check you storage access with task manager. I have JRiver pegging hard disks to 100% sometimes nearing a full second of response time. I highly doubt any issues are the problem of CPU architecture.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Analyze audio is processing intensive, so maybe it is stressing the computer. But this would be 1 time only, so I don't know. Better ask in the Interact JRiver forums for official support on that.

Tks

Major Contributor
Analyze audio is processing intensive, so maybe it is stressing the computer. But this would be 1 time only, so I don't know. Better ask in the Interact JRiver forums for official support on that.

It simply hammers the CPU, but RAM and Disks should be fine with no issues. But even that can be rectified with lowering the process affinity. I just think it possibly has something to do with that window that's used while analyzing is occurring. It auto scrolls and sadly doesn't allow a per-session scan categorization of completed scans vs not completed to be separated if you have scanned files already and are using the option to scan already scanned files.

Again, the issue seems to be long active times of nearly anything.. If I have large playlists constantly loading into memory (I only do per-song load into memory non decoded, as decoded was even less stable if you have DSP and are scrubbing or doing too much of anything like jumping tracks and such), the program will eventually shut down randomly if I am scrolling throughout the UI and doing other things on the computer. I am running 16GB's of RAM, 4790K voltage and frequency locked to 4.5Ghz, with task manager always running. There are no anomalies visually from the processing load ever really. I think it's just a combination of DSP, WASAPI, loading into memort, scrolling about in the menu's and such, that the program decides to choke up and just turn off suddenly in a split second if I an rebuilding thumbnails or such. Media Network is it's own issue. It will crash(the whole program) in less than 24 hours no matter what, at all. Play music or not, the server will not stay up. I understand if it has to shut down due to dynamic IP issues perhaps, but why would it have to shut down JRiver, that I don't get. (it also shares a "scan" window issue, where in the media server tab you will see all the pings of the network in real-time, and it's just a constantly feeding log that never ends, so it perhaps causes the program to eventually turn itself off, might have something to do with perhaps me having caching of all sorts turned off, like no pagefile being enabled).

I should do more investigating, but I'm just too lazy truth be told. And it's not too much of an issue given how great this program is. But I find myself wanting to stream more and more, so I'll probably try another computer just to see if the issue is with this one.

Top Bottom