• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jriver MC29 to Airport Express via WiFi - is it possible without Airfoil?

Kijanki

I currently use Itunes (Music) on the MAC (Monterey) with Airport Express via WiFi. It works fine, but user interface is a little bit clumsy. I downloaded demo of JRiver MC29, but cannot make it work with AE. I selected AE in Desktop top bar sound output selection and it appeared in Jriver. I selected it in playback options and tried to play, but it doesn't even start playback (but plays with internal speaker selection). I really like MC29 user interface and better equalizer, but wonder if it is possible? I have old plug-in AE, but also have newer one, that I can try. I remember that I had problems adding AE to existing network, so perhaps I created separate one (mistake?). Should I reinstall it? New mac OS allows to output any sound over Airplay, but somehow JRiver doesn't work with it. Any advise will be appreciated.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I wonder what is general opinion on Jriver stability?
I have found Jriver (Win or Mac) to be rock solid in all aspects. OTOH, if you want it to work with non-DLNA devices, it requires a driver or an intermediary device.
Is there anything better for MAC that can use Itunes library folder?
Dunno. I've never use iTunes.

OP
K

Kijanki

I have found Jriver (Win or Mac) to be rock solid in all aspects
Thank you - I will buy it. I believe it started working fine, after I unchecked "Open device with exclusive access" in Device Settings.

Top Bottom