• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JPS Superconductor V USB Cable Review

Rate this USB Cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 283 96.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 2.7%

• Total voters

Extreme_Boky

Uninitiated can choose to continue with their sarcasm... it is serving as entertainment.

Remember this paragraph fellas... should read first.

"The USB cable will play an infinitely more important task, if you choose a DAC with its USB card (module) that is galvanically isolated from the DAC These DACs are usually much more expensive than the one you used for testing, and the USB cables in question would sound vastly different. Would they measure differently? They SHOULD, in this case... ESPECIALLY at 1024DSD / 1.536MHz rates.

If they don't (measure differently) => the measuring equipment test jig is not used in the appropriate user case/scenario, AND the test-sets are of insufficient ability to capture what we humans can hear."

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Uninitiated can choose to continue with their sarcasm... it is serving as entertainment.

"The USB cable will play an infinitely more important task, if you choose a DAC with its USB card (module) that is galvanically isolated from the DAC These DACs are usually much more expensive than the one you used for testing, and the USB cables in question would sound vastly different. Would they measure differently? They SHOULD, in this case... ESPECIALLY at 1024DSD / 1.536MHz rates.

If they don't (measure differently) => the measuring equipment test jig is not used in the appropriate user case/scenario, AND the test-sets are of insufficient ability to capture what we humans can hear."

You're making no sense here. Why would galvanic isolation make one USB cable sound different than another?

Extreme_Boky

I am waiting now for others to contribute here... all those bullies, full of sarcasm, waiting with their finger on the trigger to cut and chop posts, extract bits and pieces to suit their small miserable egos.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You are saying if you pay more and get galvanic isolation, you are more susceptible to cable differences?

Extreme_Boky

You are saying if you pay more and get galvanic isolation, you are more susceptible to cable differences?

Well, not exactly...

Galvanic isolation is great. Otherwise, DAC manufacturers wouldn't be using it... right?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Funnily enough the AP555X input is galvanical isolated.
Galvanic isolation can be handy when ground loops are present. In this case you can hear weird sounds, hum, mouse movements etc.
This can be added to any USB connection with an external device for not too much money anyway.

Why would galvanic isolation 'help' here when there is no groundloop anyway ?

RF Air

Forum Donor
I am waiting now for others to contribute here... all those bullies, full of sarcasm, waiting with their finger on the trigger to cut and chop posts, extract bits and pieces to suit their small miserable egos.
A Polemic Debate has one purpose, and I cede.

Last edited:

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor

Hehe, there we go. It’s usually just a matter of time until the cultists slip up and drop their masks.

The “uninitiated” are people like us, who are woefully incapable of hearing the inaudible, with our cloth ears, low resolution systems and closed minds. We’re simply not worthy.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All this science and measurement stuff is a passing fad. In time we'll go back to golden ears and expert reviewers for the real story.
Ha, don't say that, but I know you were joking! Don't worry, I'd just had a few drinks last night and was in a contemplative mood!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As I noted, there is not time. No mid to high-end DAC uses USB as a power source anyway so I don't think it matters what it does.
Hello,

Okay due to the time crunch it was a data test only.

Sometimes (often) USB cables are used for both power and data at the same time.

Back when I bought a QA401 audio analyzer that was not supplied with a USB cable, so I test drove a couple that were handy. The first one was the USB that came with my APx555 and the other was a USB that came from the surplus store.

See the attached test plots:

Thanks DTView attachment 270310View attachment 270311
Not sure how relevant my following comment is going to be in relation to the little exchange you two are having, but with my current PC I'm using a SoundblasterX G6 DAC (which Amir measured back end of 2019) and that's USB powered - I've also found I need to be careful about which USB port to use on the motherboard in order to avoid what I'd call a constant low level static crackle (a bit like vinyl) - I managed to find a USB port that produced a dead black background (no static crackle).

KSTR

Major Contributor
Just wanted to let you know there are members on this board which, while sharing the same objectivist and measurement-centric views and beliefs, are quite appalled by the discussion style of some. Its a shame.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I believe ’we’ are quite restrained in the face of the torrent of uninformed tripe.
Cable manufacturers are either charlatans or at best incompetent.
Keith

DSJR

Major Contributor
I believe ’we’ are quite restrained in the face of the torrent of uninformed tripe.
Cable manufacturers are either charlatans or at best incompetent.
Keith
Keith, did you ever compare the Linn 'Black' and 'Silver' RCA interconnects? I've 'done it' so many times and 'heard' an appreciable difference and others claim to have 'heard' exactly the same... Too much money to buy even used and to ship to Amir but I'd love to see the results, especially if a 'null' test could be done between them ;)

Triliza

Forum Donor
We tend to think audio is special and full of mysteries, have a look at hdmi cables, more bandwidth and they either work or not, regardless of if you spend $10 or $1000. I haven't read any story about deeper contrast and all other stuff you read about audio. It's just damn cables, not a sophisticated EQ device.

Yes people get a tad sarcastic in these reviews, but it would be better if you bothered to examine what the companies that sell all these stuff are offering to back up all their claims, beside meaningless PR talk. Can you post any of their measurements, data, even some documented blind test with two or three of their employees, anything at all. People around here don't take kindly to snake oil, you (the companies) reap what you sow.

dananski

caught gesture

Forum Donor
Keith, did you ever compare the Linn 'Black' and 'Silver' RCA interconnects? I've 'done it' so many times and 'heard' an appreciable difference and others claim to have 'heard' exactly the same... Too much money to buy even used and to ship to Amir but I'd love to see the results, especially if a 'null' test could be done between them ;)
For “boutique” cables, the Linn interconnects are cheap. Still more than I would pay. People claim to hear things that don’t exist quite often. Some people hear voices in their head telling them to do despicable things. Almost always their defence in court is some form of insanity.

DSJR

Major Contributor
For “boutique” cables, the Linn interconnects are cheap. Still more than I would pay. People claim to hear things that don’t exist quite often. Some people hear voices in their head telling them to do despicable things. Almost always their defence in court is some form of insanity.
I did this 'comparison' literally hundreds of times (sighted I admit) and feel 'something' must be changed electrically between the two and a null test should easily pick it up - if it's there. 'All' my other not expensive and many home made interconnects sound all but the same irrespective of the RCA plugs used and so on...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just wanted to let you know there are members on this board which, while sharing the same objectivist and measurement-centric views and beliefs, are quite appalled by the discussion style of some. Its a shame.
Yeah...
Fellas, Mr Measueremnt
Unbelievable, do you even grasp a 1% of what I said:

1678364463931.png

Top Bottom