• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JPS Superconductor V USB Cable Review

Rate this USB Cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 283 96.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 2.7%

• Total voters

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Think about all these passive "layman" readers out there. They can avoid considerable loss this way. Nobody is born with knowledge, and snake oil still sells. Repetitio est mater studiorum.
But a sticky thread with all cable tests so far would be more effective than keeping testing cables every other week.

delta76

Major Contributor
But a sticky thread with all cable tests so far would be more effective than keeping testing cables every other week.
I'm torn about this. I definitely want Amir to test other equipment, because cables are done deal. but
- this thread will land quite high on Google search, leading more people here. so there are chances that some will no buy this and wasted 990$
- testing cables seem to be a quick job for Amir. He probably can do it his eyes closed. If he does not mind it, why do we?

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
You could. Just need $100,000 in digital scope and specialized probes! USB signals are quite fast. My 500 MHz scope can barely resolve it but results are just not presentable. S/PDIF is a walk in the park in comparison.

There is a company that makes a specialized test instrument to show the eye patter on USB and HDMI. I think it costs $14K. I don't think it is worth getting it but it is an option.
I tend to believe that many of those highend audiophile USB cables (also coax, ethernet and others) wouldn't meet standard specifications :)

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
I think it means, "they like it".
At one time, I'd have tried to explain how I see and 'feel' the 'musicality' side of sound perception in music (the other being pr@t). I simply can't be a*sed these days you lot will be pleased to know :D

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At one time, I'd have tried to explain how I see and 'feel' the 'musicality' side of sound perception in music (the other being pr@t). I simply can't be a*sed these days you lot will be pleased to know :D
Progress!

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Mocking? Mocking people is rude and not very gentleman. I don't think he was mocking anyone. Anyway. Not more to say about it.

It was a joke. A usb cable cant make things louder or less loud. Its inherently not possible. A usb cable gives numbers to a dac, and to make things louder or less loud you have to substract or add numbers. And this is a very, very hard task for cables. Usually Amir does not jokes like this. I had to read again.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mocking? Mocking people is rude and not very gentleman. I don't think he was mocking anyone. Anyway. Not more to say about it.
I had my sense of humor surgically removed, for just that reason.

OldManMatt

I've never spent that much but for years I still had that doubt that there must be "something" in what they claim, even if I could never justify the cost. As a result I've got cables by Linn and QED which cost more than generic but still seemed reasonably priced.
I think a lot of people fall into that category. Talk of "Audiophile" cables and wires are everywhere on the internet and YouTube. There was a time would I would question "Are my cables or speaker wire hindering or degrading the signal?" Then I would go search and look at all these different cables and prices on-line. Fortunately I never pulled the trigger on an "exotic" cable, and usually it was because I would still ask myself that same question..Will this cable hinder or degrade my music signal in some way?

Luckily I came across this ASR site a few years back, it put this cable nonsense behind me, I don't even think about them anymore. I personally have never heard a difference between 2 cables that I can be 100% sure of. I have encountered cables that boosted the output of the signal, but a difference in quality I'm not too sure of. The only phenomenon I've encountered was using a shielded cable that actually reduced some interference I was getting from somewhere. The most expensive cables I've ever used were in the $30-$40 range, Worlds Best Cables off Amazon. These might be considered expensive to some people, but these are my cables of choice..they look good to me and seem well built. I also have a $100 pair of speaker wires made by Elac...I had a $100 owed to me from Crutchfield, a couple months went by and I never found anything to use it on so I went all out and splurged on some $100 wires lol. But I will say, the connectors, gauge and material of the jacket on these 15 foot cords made me feel like they were worth the money.

One more thing I will add, ASR has saved me a lot of money over the years that I would have otherwise spent on snake-oil or poorly engineered products. I also don't knock or look down on people that have the money to spend on these high priced cables..whatever makes someone happy can almost be labeled as priceless, but I confidently don't feel like I'm missing anything just because I can't afford or choose not to spend big money on cables. My signal from point A to B is just fine.

OldManMatt

I think a lot of people fall into that category. Talk of "Audiophile" cables and wires are everywhere on the internet and YouTube. There was a time would I would question "Are my cables or speaker wire hindering or degrading the signal?" Then I would go search and look at all these different cables and prices on-line. Fortunately I never pulled the trigger on an "exotic" cable, and usually it was because I would still ask myself that same question..Will this cable hinder or degrade my music signal in some way?

Luckily I came across this ASR site a few years back, it put this cable nonsense behind me, I don't even think about them anymore. I personally have never heard a difference between 2 cables that I can be 100% sure of. I have encountered cables that boosted the output of the signal, but a difference in quality I'm not too sure of. The only phenomenon I've encountered was using a shielded cable that actually reduced some interference I was getting from somewhere. The most expensive cables I've ever used were in the $30-$40 range, Worlds Best Cables off Amazon. These might be considered expensive to some people, but these are my cables of choice..they look good to me and seem well built. I also have a $100 pair of speaker wires made by Elac...I had a $100 owed to me from Crutchfield, a couple months went by and I never found anything to use it on so I went all out and splurged on some $100 wires lol. But I will say, the connectors, gauge and material of the jacket on these 15 foot cords made me feel like they were worth the money.

One more thing I will add, ASR has saved me a lot of money over the years that I would have otherwise spent on snake-oil or poorly engineered products. I also don't knock or look down on people that have the money to spend on these high priced cables..whatever makes someone happy can almost be labeled as priceless, but I confidently don't feel like I'm missing anything just because I can't afford or choose not to spend big money on cables. My signal from point A to B is just fine.
I should have added, the cable I came across that I felt boosted the volume was a toslink cable. Switching between 2 of them one was obviously louder...though no measurement was done.

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
I wonder why Amir keeps testing cables. After all, the tests so far have given a clear message: Cables don't matter. Wouldn't it make more sense to use the precious time for testing more interesting devices? We should all be grateful that he is doing this and leave the decision up to him, but I personally wouldn't think of buying a USB cable for $1000 anyway, not least because of his tests so far.

nyxnyxnyx

A few years ago I went to a headphones/iems show and the most "flagship", prestigious setup was a ~$75,000 focal utopia setup.
the focal utopia only costs around $4000 lol, the most expansive components are indeed the cables, from power cord to XLR cables.
but the truly ironic thing is next to that setup was a ~$4000 setup (just headphones & dac/amp), didn't even really have any fancy accessories and it sounded better.

MyCuriosity

It was a joke. A usb cable cant make things louder or less loud. Its inherently not possible. A usb cable gives numbers to a dac, and to make things louder or less loud you have to substract or add numbers. And this is a very, very hard task for cables. Usually Amir does not jokes like this. I had to read again.
As a joke it makes sense but I read it again and it didn't seem like he was mocking. Anyway, doesn't really matter.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
As a joke it makes sense but I read it again and it didn't seem like he was mocking. Anyway, doesn't really matter.

Maybe he had to do this kinde of joke on april 1. ?

The problem was fore sure that @amirm's dac misses a hardware accelerated null device and so the volume with this ultra fast cable could build up. ;)

Last edited:

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I'm torn about this. I definitely want Amir to test other equipment, because cables are done deal. but
- this thread will land quite high on Google search, leading more people here. so there are chances that some will no buy this and wasted 990$
- testing cables seem to be a quick job for Amir. He probably can do it his eyes closed. If he does not mind it, why do we?

Yes, cables may be a 'done deal' to some educated minority but just look at this cable and its price.
A large market for this scam product exists because so many are still buying this stuff. It is still an uphill battle for education and helping people.
Most, if not all buyers of this stuff are people who just don't know and are trusting someone else.

Yes you can argue that folks should educate themselves but then you arrive right back at the point of this very review.

Plus, it talks a while with repetition/repeated exposure for many people to learn new things.
No one forces anyone to buy this stuff; it's amazing what people will do voluntarily.
Sure no one is putting a gun to their head, yet I don't think a lot of the people are exactly buying these 'voluntarily'.
They aren't getting honest information and then voluntarily buying these.

I will surmise that many people are being tricked into buying these with lies, dishonesty and a corrupted market. Likely being misled by the very people they believe they can trust. In my view those folks are not voluntarily buying these cables. It is often fueled by understandably naive and uneducated behavior or genuinely misplaced trust which does not fit my definition of voluntary. Stupid yes, but I digress.

Huang Jerry

One of those days we'll have toslink cables with 5 meters thick RF shielding, oxygen-free platinum connectors, and high grade blue diamond fibres.
It will cost $140,000 per millimetre and only works on high-end equipment.

Top Bottom