• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JPS LABS DIGITAL AC-X AC CORD Review

Rate this power cord:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 239 98.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are the wireworld usb cable and intona usb filter the only tweaks to have measurable effects at the sound level?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
RFI filtering of input AC lines can be useful if you are in an environment with a lot of RF energy in the air - like near a TV or radio transmitter of significant output power. For example, I used to live in a high-rise apartment near the Sears tower in Chicago which had, at the time, something like 550,000 watts ERP coming off the antennas. My apartment was not all that far from those antennas, I was near them both horizontally and vertically. This was in the days before the digital TV transition; I could hear the sync buzz on my audio system no matter what I did. I could watch certain stations on my TV and hear the difference in the buzz between dark scenes and light scenes. I had all NAD gear at the time, including their top-of-the-line Monitor Series stuff. These units had the same "your equipment has better filters in the power supply than any external accessory..." circuits in their power supplies, yet I still had RFI. There's common-mode RF currents that get into your gear, especially at VHF and UHF frequencies and solid state parts can act as detectors for this stuff and change the RFI into buzzing sounds etc. Even though the power supply filters out the transverse-mode stuff, for the most part the common mode stuff still gets in. So there IS a place for things to reduce RFI in audio gear in certain situations. I never tried anything to address the RFI situation; I just put up with it. I didn't live there very long. After I moved, the sync buzz from Channel 32 (I suspect it was Channel 32) vanished.
Everything you said is true. A proper EMI filter like Maty shows above, and/or ferrite beads on the cables is usually the cure. Snake-oil cables for ridiculous prices, not so much.

D

Deleted member 48726

This is great!;)

1678362279354.png

delta76

Major Contributor
Last night I was looking up Joe Skubinski online to see what his background is. I was not involved in this discussion below, nor can I confirm it is correct. But this showed up in my searches:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/l09imb
Jesus Christ. This is robbery in daylight.

yes all these luxury cables are robbery. but they usually makes something that looks and feels luxurious/high-end enough. this is shameless

D

Deleted member 48726

While I understand the reason and importance of testing also useless audiophoolia I would also vote for

1. Waste of ASR resources and Amir's time (piggy bank panther)

and instead of such or another 100+ SINAD China DAC review would rather see measurements of decent loudspeakers or headphones where audibility really matters, especially since Erin cannot review them since some last months.

I apologise for the whining but it's the way I feel.
I somwhat agree. But on the other hand it is important work to uncover these shady things, even if I can imagine amirs patience must be tested good while doing these measurements..

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I must have missed a memo along the way, in that I can't conceive of a luxurious power cord, or any cable for that matter. They're just...wires.

delta76

Major Contributor
LOL I remember this, what an ordeal that was.

This whole ordeal of wrapping cables and hiding sources is just hilarious to me. In the same way it's hilarious that original architects and manufacturers of these cable parts deal with sales in the millions of units, and is weird to see none of them (the people with the actual capability creating the entire cable and it's parts) don't sell their own "high end" ultra expensive variants for the consumer market.

It's so idiotic on face value that I just cannot understand how this secondary cable industry still lives. If they actually manufacturerd all parts of these cables and such, I'd somewhat be able to stomach it. Otherwise it just feels like fraud off the jump. There are thankfully cable sellers who are transparent about their sources, and what they're doing. It's also interesting how none of them are pricing their products this insanely high.
they are like leeches live off audio industry, but they are not alone. the amount of snake oils you can spend money on is staggering.

Amir did a great job exposing them, but are they hurt enough to go bankrupt? I really doubt it. they will live

SiW

I just found someone selling sound quality fuses (for UK power plugs) at £595 - jezzzzzzz

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Thanks @amirm for another review. Honestly, with the latest 3 reviews I have mixed feelings. I don't know if I feel bad/sorry for you for wasting your time measuring cables that we all already knew what the results were going to be or for the forum donor/member who wasted his hard earned money in these snake oil cables.

Multicore

Major Contributor
I think the polling is unfair, as with the other two cable reviews this week. These cables are clearly Great. They are also a Waste of money. These are orthogonal.

And I don't understand all the hatred for something that costs 10x as much as a competent alternative. We here at ASR seem to manage tolerate people who want to spend the cost of a luxury car on their loudspeakers when something that costs 10% would do an excellent job.

And in case you think I'm one of those that gets a kick out of having fancy cables, here's my "high-end" home entertainment system.
IMG_20230309_081017.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the polling is unfair, as with the other two cable reviews this week. These cables are clearly Great. They are also a Waste of money. These are orthogonal.

And I don't understand all the hatred for something that costs 10x as much as a competent alternative. We here at ASR seem to manage tolerate people who want to spend the cost of a luxury car on their loudspeakers when something that costs 10% would do an excellent job.

And in case you think I'm one of those that gets a kick out of having fancy cables, here's my "high-end" home entertainment system.View attachment 270441
Uhm...in what way are these cables great? Cute dog.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is better to build a small cable with an RF/EMI filter to which to splice the power cable or the powerstrip.

An old picture, with my first try (teflon+duct tape).

View attachment 270407

[ RF/EMI Schaffner has the greater attenuation graphs. Years ago I researched deeply and that was my conclusion. Schurter, for the IEC connectors without filters is my other choice.

As Mark says, you have to choose the one with the tightest amperage because the attenuation is greater. I have a lot of 1A and 3A. And one of 6A and other of 8A (power strip). Spain: 230 Vac, 50 Hz. With 115 Vac you need double amperage.

Schaffner FN9244B with B = medical ]

View attachment 270408

[PDF] https://www.schaffner.com/fileadmin/user_upload/pim/products/datasheets/FN9244.pdf
Hi Maty, long time since I’ve seen you. What application were you using this for and what problems were you solving? Did you do any pre/post measurements of the output of the device?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can conceivably get more by paying more for speakers. What is your reasoning for paying more for cables to get nothing? That simply seems foolish.

maty

Major Contributor
As I have commented so many times, the external electrical grip adds a lot of noise to my two audio systems and DC voltage. The first thing I have mitigated with the Schaffner RF/EMI filters and Würth 150 kHz ferrites. The second with DC Blocker from ATL Audio https://www.atlhifi.com/product-tag/dc-blocker/

Three months ago I bought a new hybrid integrated (silver, 900€, Amazon.de) for the second system. It is supposed to filter better than the old AV Marantz it replaces (20 years old) but:

AV Marantz SR4500: RF 8A -> Powertrip -> DC Blocker prototype (upgraded with Mundorf 47000uf) + DC Blocker x4 (with Epcos 18000 uF) -> RF 3A

Magnat MA 900: RF 8A -> Powertrip -> DC Blocker prototype (upgraded with Mundorf 47000uf) + DC Blocker x4 (with Epcos 18000 uF) -> RF 3A-> RF 3A

Before: two Schaffer RF/EMI
Now: THREE Schaffer RF/EMI

I do not have RF/EMI measurements. Well, in the past, almost an incredible 3 Vdc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- The End -

Multicore

Major Contributor
Uhm...in what way are these cables great?
Don't @amirm 's measurements show practically perfect transparency? They perform! Idk for sure but they look solidly built. Maybe they last for years. What more do you want?

They are also a waste of money, of course. And? So are a lot of things.

You can conceivably get more by paying more for speakers. What is your reasoning for paying more for cables to get nothing? That simply seems foolish.
Conceivably, yes. But let's take a browse through the Most beautiful speakers in the world ? thread. We see a lot of lust for fancy-looking expensive things that conceivably deliver higher performance than <whatever benchmark we choose for speakers under $5k each> but probably don't. In fact, with a lot of these weird constructions, there's good reason to suspect that they perform worse. But do we feel the need to rag on those that lust after them? I don't. I think to myself, "Really?! You want these Doctor Who monsters in your living room? Oooookay." Alright, now I said it out loud, or typed it into the computer more like, but I'm trying to be nice about it in a friendly teasing way.

Cute dog.
Here he is pretending to be Nipper

IMG_2665(1).jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't @amirm 's measurements show practically perfect transparency? They perform! Idk for sure but they look solidly built. Maybe they last for years. What more do you want?

Conceivably, yes. But let's take a browse through the Most beautiful speakers in the world ? thread. We see a lot of lust for fancy-looking expensive things that conceivably deliver higher performance than <whatever benchmark we choose for speakers under $5k each> but probably don't. In fact, with a lot of these weird constructions, there's good reason to suspect that they perform worse. But do we feel the need to rag on those that lust after them? I don't. I think to myself, "Really?! You want these Doctor Who monsters in your living room? Oooookay." Alright, now I said it out loud, or typed it into the computer more like, but I'm trying to be nice about it in a friendly teasing way.

Here he is pretending to be Nipper

View attachment 270461
Your dog is cute. I don't at all understand your points of view. But feel free to pay too much for everything :)

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

@Multicore
You seem like a smart, sensible person and have been here long enough to know.
You are not allowed to have a difference of opinion otherwise you will take a ration of shit.
BTW - I am in 100% agreement with you. Not jumping on your case.
If someone happens to have the resources to spend, why not? Who is anyone else to tell them (except those who are arrogant) how they should live their life?
It funny how subjectivity is severely frowned upon except when its topics such as money and value in which case its all hands on deck. Too much talking out of both sides of their mouths.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Your dog is cute. I don't at all understand your points of view. But feel free to pay too much for everything :)
You got me thinking. Conceivably is the space where all kinds of interesting possibility exists. Quantum uncertainty theories of free will. Esoteric initiation and invocation. Cold fusion. Reincarnation. Ecstatic ritual. AI. Conceivably is the space where we can play with magic. High end speakers that delivering better music and, for some, patch and power cables that sound better. My question is about why we single out cable lovers for special derision.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You got me thinking. Conceivably is the space where all kinds of interesting possibility exists. Quantum uncertainty theories of free will. Esoteric initiation and invocation. Cold fusion. Reincarnation. Ecstatic ritual. AI. Conceivably is the space where we can play with magic. High end speakers that delivering better music and, for some, patch and power cables that sound better. My question is about why we single out cable lovers for special derision.
Too deep for me.

Top Bottom